Thread: Design Software

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Design Software
    hey guys
    looking at getting a design software to do some 3D designs for a 4 seater buggy and cooler scooter.
    what do people recommend, AutoCad is abit pricey for me as its just to play around. ive seen solid works and Bend tech but looking for peoples opinions and are there any other good options out there.
    is there anyone on here that does custom cage designs?
    thanks

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Design Software
    I've been learning solidworks and have been really impressed so far. I used to use sketchup and it doesn't even compare.

If you go with solidworks there's tons of video tutorials for the Formula SAE program that many universities compete in, the videos can teach you all sorts of important features needed to design a vehicle.

3. Collapse Details
    did you get the full version or the student one? im trying to keep to a budget on it as it is just a hobby. i know the student version is like 100

4. Collapse Details
    I got the student version, it's fairly economical if you're eligible for it. The license is only for a year though.

5. Collapse Details
    yeah looks like a reasonable deal, i just have to try get around the student part as my student id ran out last year. might have to borrow a buddys ID haha

6. Collapse Details
    I have used autocad, inventor, rhino, catia, ProEngineer and ProDesctop, and Solidworks.

Catia is probably the most powerful, but Solidworks is the one I'd recommend, hands down. AutoCad is only popular as it was the first big cad program and its cheap. That being said I have done some huge projects in AutoCad and they turned out great. Would probably have done them in half the time in solidworks if I'd had access at that stage.

A lot of students have versions that arn't the student version... and they didn't pay full price if you get my drift. Just remember the penalty is huge for cheating the system though

7. Collapse Details
    theres so many people cheating the system that it really means nothing. i did look into AUTOCAD however i dont know anyone who has a ripped version so id have to pay the big $$ for it and compared to the others it is more expensive

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by deanogw View Post
    theres so many people cheating the system that it really means nothing. i did look into AUTOCAD however i dont know anyone who has a ripped version so id have to pay the big $$ for it and compared to the others it is more expensive
    I just got another seat of SW professional for work, the invoice came to $6150 I have a not so legal version on my home computer that I just use for my stuff. The dealer I talked to said they don't really care as long as it's not for commercial use, but then again they're not the ones that make the rules.

Look into bend-tech. Much more reasonably priced. I've never used it myself but all the 4x4 guys around my area swear by it. Draw up the frame and it'll spit out all the tube sizes, bends and notches. Have a read through this thread: https://www.minibuggy.net/forum/drawi...nd-tech-9.html

9. Collapse Details
    Surprisingly, a lot of software manufacturers make their products EASY to pirate on purpose, and overlook amateurs using it

The reason is that students/trainees/apprentices use it at home and learn how to use it... its not like they would have paid several thousand dollars for it anyway so the company doesn't loose money with lost sales. When they grow up, get out of school and training, they only know how to use that one software. There are big consequences for using pirated software commercially, so when they are forced to buy a copy of something, the one that makes sense to buy is the one they have been using for a few years and know intimately, and have confidence using.

Its what Adobe did with Photoshop... and now its the industry standard software.

10. Collapse Details
    yeah 6k sounds right. i know my grand fathers architectural firm spent 100k on auto cad when it first came out. i cannot believe how crazy expensive that is haha.
    i did like how simple bend tech looked to use though you can really only design frames etc with it where solid and auto you can do a fair bit more. correct me if i am wrong on this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast