1. Collapse Details
    custom frame (self-made) advice & opinions
    Lightbulb
    so im lookking at building a dune buggy more for dirt and mud, will probably see sand once every 2 years. i've designed a frame (using google sketchup, hey it is a budget build ) by looking at a few different ones, it's not complete yet but i wanted opinions before i waste days on this then find out its useless.

planning to put a 250 up to about a 650 atv engine in it. i am thinking of 30mm (1 and 1/4 inch) outside diameter and 4mm thickness (5/32 inch).

is this going to be too heavy or has it got any weakness points in it you can see? or if you have a better frame idea for me to copy off please leave the name of the frame or a link. thanks.
    links to pics below

jtothat247's Library | Photobucket

2. Collapse Details
    Re: custom frame (self-made) advice & opinions
    I believe 4mm wall thickness would be over kill

3. Collapse Details
    Question
    what about 3mm? im also looking at a single seater right now. what is easier to build, this is my first build so im looking at something simple and easy.
    and a cousin said to get a written off road bike like a 450cc. where could i find these, googled it and not much luck. the engine i would get first and work my frame to suit it.

4. Collapse Details
    Hi Jto, chassis looks ok but a lot of research can bring things to gether and don't forget the MBN search.

A lot of advice has been given on basic chassis design, but a good idea is to start with the wheels and work in from there. The wheels size will affect engine a braking performance, so something like an old atv is a good start with suspension brakes and wheels provided ready for a buggy remake.

Most people refer to tubing in thousands of an inch Ie: .12 is 3.048mm and that is usually the thickest material used for lower suspension arms to take the trail knocks and suspesion loads. .095, 2.413mm is used quiet often in the chassis and a small buggy might have 1 1/4 inch 32mm.
    Thanks Ironknot

5. Collapse Details
    There are quite a few bike wreckers in the Vic and the Melb metro area ,try Vic mc wreckers web site and see what they have ,,they usuaoly have a range of " to run "motors .
    Talon's YouTube Channel

Adapt what is usefull , reject what is useless and add what is your own.........Bruce Lee

6. Collapse Details
    Instead of an " written off" "road bike" try to seek out a quad motor. Many of the quad motors have electric start where as many of the bikes do not.

But the big kicker is reverse. No bikes have it (hush you high end honda goldwing guys) but many quads do.

Plus you can can go with a shifter type if you like to select the gears or if you want gas and go there are many cvt style quad setups.

Of course I cannot say this for sure in your corner of the planet but its likley similiar quads are near you in Aussie.

If you do go with a road bike for an engine I would look for a larger than a 450 or an older smaller one that made torque but is not a revver. But no reverse here!
    Last edited by nutz4sand; 07-15-2013 at 10:17 AM.
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

7. Collapse Details
    If you got the skills then a custom frame is fine. Previous experience with bent tube projects is a good idea. Otherwise plans from a reputable supplier with good customer support is the way to go. Dittos to those who recommend an ATV donor machine. Doing my second one now.