Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    notching?????????
    im fairly new to the whole metal work scene, have done some notches for MIG welded joints but this time my friend is going to tig my frame (nice braging rights) is there a step by step way of making perfect notches? I have 90* figured out with a notcher but when you change to compound angles or angles other then 90* i just dont want to ruin a bunch of pipe. Im prepared to spend a couple hundred on a notcher but just looking for some diagrams.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: notching?????????
    Moose, My suggestion would be to get a magnetic angle finder and that will help determine the angle you want to duplicate. Using the notcher it will have a degree scale on it. Match the degree from the angle finder to the degree on the notcher and should come out perfect. If I'm goimg to make notches on both ends I like to draw a line down the length of the tube because this helps establish a common orientation point. I ruined alot of tubing before I tried this. Good luck with your project. Doc

3. Collapse Details
    Is there a decent notcher someone would recommend that won't break the bank ? -- NOT something from harbor frieght - summit racing has a few I was looking at but would like to hear some suggestions -
    I have a drill press but but I'm thinking a notcher would be a good investment. Any suggestions would be appreciated, sorry about cutting in on this thread. Thanks .

4. Collapse Details
    Whats the bank?
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

5. Collapse Details
    i had decided on the jd2 notch master for $250 until i saw some notches guys were getting with the harbor frieght notcher and a drill press. It has its drawbacks and some people have had to shim it some, but i bought it cause i couldnt justify the extra 200 with what i was seeing.

6. Collapse Details
    I guess the bank could be up to ,,,,, maybe 200 to 300 but I would hope for pro level cuts at 300 bucks after time and practice with a tool that cost that much. Which is my hang up with the harbor freight units, I don't see any really consistent cuts with something like the HF notchers. But having said that I have to admit I've never used one. I just kind of consider most tools in that store "disposable " and that isn't really a word I want associated with my roll cage or frame. snoopy

7. Collapse Details
    Whatever notcher you decide on make sure it uses needle bearings instead of brass bushings. The bushing type notchers (i.e. harbor freight) tend to develop some play after the first 10 or so cycles.

Here | eBay is the one I use. It has a zerk fitting to lubricate the needle bearings. I've cycled it about 200 times and it still has no play.
    Wheelin' and Dealin

8. Collapse Details
    For under $300 you probably wont beat the notchmaster.Standfast has one and said it works great.

Do you have a chop saw?You could use the chopsaw method for free.
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

9. Collapse Details
    Chopsaw method ???

10. Collapse Details
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast