1. Collapse Details
    frame design tip (pic)
    probably been covered before but thought i'd share as it was so useful

just finished a frame design using 3d cad fea and even fluid dynamics, with the former testing; torsion, bending, tension and compression from a bunch of angles

although that was all useful, none of it was NEARLY as useful or gave as much feedback as a simple scale model in a weak tube material that you can handle (like the hand of god!) and feel and see where tube are weak and twist and where they are weak in the middle or at the joints etc, addING card stock to replicate sheet was just as valuable to demonstrate that if secured correctly sheet can add massive integrity in triangulation via tension

we wound up with a much lighter simple safer stronger chassis than we would have otherwise and it was so easy to make and frankly a lot of fun,

the straws in 2 handy sizes were snagged from dunkin donuts for the price of a coffee and we spend a few more dollars on a hotmelt gun , knife and cardstock from staples
    our tubes worked out to be about a 1:10 scale (2" and 1.25" dia)

Last edited by pabsy; 09-09-2011 at 12:55 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: frame design tip (pic)
    look good but i would add a few more tube in a roll over the roof will bend at this point
    i would do sumthing like this
    or this

3. Collapse Details
    I hate to comment on these things, because material thickness, diameter, weld quality, spans, weight, speed, terrain, and more all determine needed strength. Just a thought, because there is some validity to the above point of failure. You could run a center spine, maybe a foot tall or so. It would keep your door openings and add quite a bit of strength. You can incorperate the shifter as well. Good luck.

4. Collapse Details
    i was just demonstrating the dunkin donut frame building technique but i do appreciate the constructive comments very much and in fairness i didn't put enough info in the post

the frame you see in both pics is missing the doors which prevent compression and also have some prretty massive V shaped side impact beams
    in addition to that theres a pretty big sheet aluminum crumple box up front
    this is 99% a street chassis and when you think of it in those terms especially in a convertible car terms its massively strong, think of a corvette or a jeep convertible..eek!

its a big roomy 2 seater and the chassis as you see it is only 202lbs with mostly 2" 065" chromoley, we used .095 on both the front and rear roll bars which far exceed any race regs. were shooting for a sub 2000lb weight all up with a/c electric windows, full glass etc, we'll see how we do...

5. Collapse Details
    This is out of my relm of expertice, so I won't comment on the frame other than it looks cool and I hope you start a build thread here. Looks like it will be a neat project.

6. Collapse Details
    I like it...got any more pics from front and back???