1. Collapse Details
    Help me fix & make my frame safe
    So, what started off as just a front end / steering rebuild has turned into an entire frame rebuild. I know these Short Sand Cars have some unsafe areas on the frame. I want to get these things fixed while I have it torn down. I also need to re-do the seat mounts. Can anyone else with a short sand car post how their seat mounts are done, or give me some suggestions on how to mount my seats?

Here are some pics with some ideas I've seen others do, and I'd like to get some input from the pro's. If you know of a better / safer way to do what I'm trying to achieve in the pics, please let me know. I am not concerned with weight. I want it to be safe and solid.

From the reading I've done on here so far I know that dead ends on tubes are a bad thing. Here's what I'm thinking so far..

Down on the floor.

In this pic, which would be the better way to strengthen the roll cage? My next question with this pic would be if the blue tubes would be necessary?

Here's down by the seats. Which way would be better?

Is this OK?

I saw something similar to this on a couple other rails. Is this the best way to help strengthen the roll cage?

I plan on using .120" wall DOM tubing for everything. 1" for anywhere on the main frame runners. 1" for anywhere that doesn't contact the main frame.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    - Jared

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Help me fix & make my frame safe
    Well.. first pic... green line forward one vert. Second. green, red, blue.
    third. green, red.. forth, green, red... fifth, a vert for your shoulder belts. Sixth... a lot of cant... Looks like you would need to go wide at the top... narrow at the bottom. But that is just what I see.... I may be wrong?? other may see something else...

3. Collapse Details
    Can't be totally sure as I am not there and it is a little hard to be sure on where everything connects and both works well for maximum strength/safety and yet still looks good and doesn't look like stuff was just added on..

But here is what I would probably do if it was me.

Pic 1 I would leave out your green bars.. the down support is most important coming down from the roof and you are not adding anymore support there.. the inner load is about nothing way back there but up forward where the rear of your a arm connects I would put in a support up there.. It will keep your frame from bending in, cracking etc. from the stress of the tire being pushed back.. and save a major bent frame should you ever hit a big enough rock, witches eye or tree.. etc.

Pic 2 I would find where the rear of your seats are going to mount and place a bar accross at that point.. something like 18 inches back from the front of your seat.. this will give you protection from the ground coming up into your back.. etc. helping to protect you and giving you a place to put your rear seat tabs.
    This also works to add in your V to tie into your motor bars then go single to match the rest of your car when people look in etc. Also add in your down angled bars from your mid rail down and tie in so you have a very well tied in center section there.

Pic 3 is the hardest as it is all going on looks as you have to look at it.. a few inches here or there isn't going to hurt but the black lines is what I would try to do... the rear diagnal accross the car will support you in a roll over.. you can do an X if you can still get your engine out.. or make the X remove with tube clamps etc...

In Pic 4 I would do that black bar I put in and then follow it down to the next bar down into your mid rail.. max support for a roll over.
    The back red bar and blue bar you did I would do too.
    But not the forward blue bar.. don't think it's needed.

The Red down V bars you have in your window fronts and down I would not do. It is kind of not going to do a lot for this style frame.. No other bars tie into or back from them... the roof is tall enough and supported in the back over your head plenty.. after you add those other bars.. But otherwise they just don't tie into anything.. The roof on the sides can still bend down.. maybe not to bad but might.. and if you add the rear bars your fine in my opinion I would not do the middle window bars on this style and design.
    Up to you.. more bars will support it more.. not saying it wont..

Well cool and looks like you have a nice project a head of you.. keep us posted.
    Good luck and have fun.
    Last edited by TutTech; 04-18-2011 at 08:19 AM.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TutTech View Post
    Can't be totally sure as I am not there and it is a little hard to be sure on where everything connects and both works well for maximum strength/safety and yet still looks good and doesn't look like stuff was just added on..

Thanks for the input! Most appreciated! Any more input from anyone else?

5. Collapse Details
    Input, Stephanie!! Need input!!

6. Collapse Details
    LOL good ol short circuit. I always wanted one of those robots. With the laser of course.

7. Collapse Details
    here is another suggestion on getting the B-Struts in. (yellow lines)
    I would put the X in the back tube that already had the additional horizontal running through it. Just because it would be out of the Way.
    You'd want it flanged though cause getting the engine out would suck..
    That is the only thing I have decided I hate about my changes. I made it dificult to reach stuff around the engine. I have absolutely no regrets on the additional uppers I placed in the front of mine.
    I never even notice them there while driving.
    Last edited by jersdunz; 04-19-2011 at 11:07 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jersdunz View Post
    here is another suggestion on getting the B-Struts in. (yellow lines)
    I would put the X in the back tube that already had the additional horizontal running through it. Just because it would be out of the Way.
    You'd want it flanged though cause getting the engine out would suck..
    That is the only thing I have decided I hate about my changes. I made it dificult to reach stuff around the engine. I have absolutely no regrets on the additional uppers I placed in the front of mine.
    I never even notice them there while driving.
    I like that green/black one. I want that color scheme on mine. His front end wouldn't work on mine. i had to cut that cross-member that went from side to side by the shock mounts out of mine so I can actually fit in mine and get the pedals to stroke fully with my height. It will be fun to make mine work right with my size. I don't really think these older frames were designed with a guy my size in mind.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRed350x View Post
    I like that green/black one. I want that color scheme on mine. His front end wouldn't work on mine. i had to cut that cross-member that went from side to side by the shock mounts out of mine so I can actually fit in mine and get the pedals to stroke fully with my height. It will be fun to make mine work right with my size. I don't really think these older frames were designed with a guy my size in mind.
    thats easy just run a horizontal across the high section and a vertical from the middle of that down to the center floor tube.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jersdunz View Post
    thats easy just run a horizontal across the high section and a vertical from the middle of that down to the center floor tube.

That's exactly what I had in mind. lol