Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Tube bending article
    As a newbie I have tons of questions about bending and a lot of the guys looking for information probably do to. Pirate 4x4 has a lot of good technical articles and found the bending articles to be very informative so I thought it would be a good idea to post a link for the new guys. It is related to fabricating a roll bar, but the principles are the same.

Pirate4x4.Com - Tube Bending Article
    Last edited by K-fab; 11-09-2009 at 06:09 PM. Reason: expanding the link's explanation and making this a sticky.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Tube bending article
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Excellent article!

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the link very helpful

4. Collapse Details

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by manco12 View Post
    The answer is YES! It WILL bend tubing.

Now if you had asked will this bender makes good bends in tube then the answer is NO!

Its made for pipe. The dies are the diameter of pipe which is different than tubing. Tubing will kink in it most of the time unless you do a bunch of things like...

Some have made it work by modifiy the bending shoes and filling the tube they are bending with sand but its a LOT of extra work and the results are still usually not optimal.

You can buy lots better benders for a bit more but the ease of use alone makes them a bargin compared to these.

Also if you only plan to build a buggy or two you can likely have the bends done at a local race car or fabrication shop for less than the cost of this bender. Nice bends on a goooooood bender.
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

6. Collapse Details
    How much are the cheapest tube benders that will make pretty good bends?

Thanks

7. Collapse Details
    How many degrees do you need to go? There are some for arounf 300-350 that will do pretty good 90 degrees. If you need more than that the cost about doubles.
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

8. Collapse Details
    I'll have to look at some pictures of tube bent with a pipe bender. Why are tube benders so much more expensive if they are pretty much the same thing?

9. Collapse Details
    Cause you can make more money off things made with tube would be my best guess!

10. Collapse Details
    I bought a pipe bender quite awhile ago, was going to build all sorts of things with it!! It wont even bend friggin pipe well. So i made a set of jd2 arms and pins at the shop for about 35.00 worth of steel( my labour not included), if you are inclined in any way you can fab some of this stuff and with the money you save ya can buy an extra die set.
    I would say that when i finish my stand this weekend i will have a bout 60.00-65.00 dollars in the bender and stand.
    Just food for thought.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast