Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Tube bending article
    Think he is talking about the 16ton bottle jack pipe bender from northern hydraulics. I think it could be used for very slight bends but not much more than that it will crimp the tube. I have one Its brand new in storage for a reason!!!!!!!! Build one from gottrikes.com simple and work good and can be modified to be faster and bend more. May not be great if doing alot of bending for a business but works great for a guy in his garage!!!!!! and its cheap and easy! LIKE ME just kidding.

2. Collapse Details
    you can get them all day on ebay for 99$ i have one thay suct save your money and get a better one 350$ for a real good one none hydrilic

3. Collapse Details
    Here's the program I use(Bend It) to bend with. It automatically adds 1 inch on each end to "fit" the tube with. you put in the angles and the lengths center to center, and it tells you where to mark the start of each bend in one shot BEFORE you start your bending. i.e. put tape measure on end of tube, mark at 12", 15.2", 37.7", 52.4" and 64.7" . this would be 4 bends and the last one is your cut off mark, so you dont have to handle a full joint of tubing. Don't forget it adds an inch on EACH end. put in your radius of bend, angle of bend, length center to center, angle, c to c, angle, etc. use tabs on top for different amounts of bends. Hope this helps some of the "Mathmatically Challenged"!!! lol

4. Collapse Details
    Sorry forgot to put link in original post Midmoracing.com - The Bend It Program

5. Collapse Details
    Actually i have a cheap pipe bender and it use to kink the pipe but i watched this youtube vid and it works. But i cant post the url it says file incorrect. So go to you tube search: pipe bender groutaone and its the very first video...

6. Collapse Details
    From what I can understand, it would be obvious that what guy is doing would work as he is his bending pipes and not tubes...

I've been planning the construction of my buggy for quit some time now and so far I have gotten into two road blocks, of witch one is the purchase or construction of a tube bender. I've asked a local machinist if he'd be willing to machine me two dies and if the price is right, then this will probable be the direction I'll be taking.

One thing I've learned is that people on this forum are ready to share their experience. They already have been thought it, so this is valuable information that should strongly be taken into account when making your decision.

7. Collapse Details
    If you go to youtube and search "groutaone"
    And then search his channel videos for "pipe bender' I think is what your talking about.he uses a smaller die with a larger pipe

Edit.i just reread your post and you already gave the info! Just joined the forum and I'm on my phone.cool site so far
    Last edited by jay42782; 02-03-2015 at 01:05 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    Its not too hard to calculate the length of tube consumed in a bend. Multiply the included angle of the bend in radians by the radius of the die - done.

To convert an angle from degrees to radians, multiply it by Pi/180.

9. Collapse Details
    Tube bending question.
    I built a bender using the got trikes bender plans. I had never up until yesterday bent a tube other then small stuff for brake lines and such. I used the bender for the first time yesterday to bend a 1.5" X .083 tube to 90 degrees 6" CLR and the tube ended up a bit oval for the duration of the bend. How much if any "oval" is acceptable.
    thanks.

10. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Most the tubes are going to oval a small amount. As long as it's not kinking, I'd not worry to much.

By chance can you take a picture and share?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast