Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    MBN Gathering - Glamis President's Day Week 2015
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    We've all talked about this, so lets make it happen. We have 10 months to plan, so we should be able to dial it in over the next three seasons.

First let's decide on the dates. We can go the week before and through President's Day (Saturday Feb 7 through Monday Feb 16) or Prez day weekend on through the following Sunday (Sat Feb 14 through Sunday Feb 22)

If you've never been to Glamis, you owe it to yourself. Especially you guys that live east of New Mexico, Colorado, etc..

This place really is what you hear - endless sand, 300' tall dunes (yes, I know there are taller ones, but these are the most fun that I've encountered), miles of fun.

One of the best times to be there is the week before President's day. My group of rag tag desert-rat-wannabes and I have been heading there for 12 of the past 14 years. We generally try to make it around this week, having arrived both on the Prez Day weekend and also arriving the weekend before.

Advantage of arriving the week before is that you have the dunes to yourself, for the most part. Everyone else (regulars, locals, if you will) are planning for the Prez day weekend. The dunes are generally well groomed and not chewed up the week before.

You can generally get a premo parking selection by showing up early. We always stake out the cup-de-sac at Gecko, about 2.5 miles from the entry at the Cahuilla Ranger's Station off CA78.

It's up higher than most of the Gecko camp ground and it's more or less on the outside of the madness that will envelope the area during the weekend. It gives you a front row to the dunes, so you don't have to fight the crowd to get out and ride and it has a asphalt apron that you can park and camp on too.

Camping is pretty primitive - there are crappers and you generally want to be up-wind of the little concrete boxes.

By the time the weekend rolls around, most of us are too pooped to ride aggressively anymore and it's a blast watching the crowd come in - this usually starts on Thursday afternoon. You'll get to see an amazing amount of stuff too. From the guy pulling the camper on the trailer to the $150K sand rails. By Thursday night/Friday morning, the place will go from a sleepy 15-20 camps to wall to wall, packed in three rows deep.

Brawley, CA is about a 20 minute drive and you can get pretty much any supplies you need.

The Glamis Beach Store is about 7 miles, as the crow flies, and can be a fairly tame or down right gnarly dunes ride depending on what you want to make it. Bring your wallet, play tourist, buy a shirt, peruse the vendor area and snag a cold drink and/or ice cream bar before you head back.

Mexico is 24 miles straight south (to Gordon's Well) and a total blast to rip down to. Probably one of my favorite drives - it offers some technical stuff and it allows for WFO running too.

Another aspect that's fun about Gecko is that you get to watch the live bombing and fire runs by the military. There's a range just north of Glamis and you can watch the planes run their patterns, dropping their arsenal out in the desert. No big bangs, just little poofs in the dirt, but it's cool. If we're lucky, we'll get to see the gun-ships run night raids. The tracers are cool as shit and it's incredible how well they bounce.

The downside of showing up the week before Prez Day Weekend, at least for those that have that female aspect in life, is that you'll probably end up missing Valentine's day. That's really the only downside I've ever found.

If we want to show up the weekend of Prez Day and then stay the week that follows, that's cool too, but it's hard to get a good spot, the dunes are packed, which isn't all that good for a newbie to the dunes, and the few days after the weekend, the dunes are pretty chewed up. One good wind storm will wipe the dunes clean, though. It's pretty amazing how well too.

Okay, I've babbled enough on trying to sell Gecko. My second choice would be down on the south western corner at Gordon's Well. It's a large, flat area with lots of room and places to ride, but it's a dust bowl, especially if there's a large crowd and finding your camp can be a challenge - especially at night. I think the north end offers a better "intro" to the dunes, personally. It has that "HOLY CRAP!" aspect to the person that's never been there before.

So, that's my suggestion, but it's only a suggestion.

I'm totally open to what ever anyone else suggests. We could do half the time at the dunes and then head over to Ocotillo and play there for a few days (what we've done the past three years). It's about a two to two and a half hour drive between the two and it gives you a chance to stop and resupply in Brawley.

One other thought - as wild as this may sound, showers aren't that big of a deal when out in the dunes. The sand is remarkably clean and because the humidity is so low, while you may sweat, it evaporates really quickly and you don't feel dirty when you're out in the dunes.

Ocotillo, on the other hand is a different story - it can be dusty and dirty. Fortunately there are a couple areas that offer showers and for a few quarters you can get a really nice, warm, welcome shower before you head off to bed each night.

Out of staters are required to get a sticker - they're usually available from one of the vendors there at the entry to the camping area or I'm sure that someone on MBN can secure them. I've always purchased them in Phx and they run 30 bucks. They're good for a year.

Any vehicle that camps/parks will be required to have a permit. You can purchase a daily pass, a weekly pass or an annual pass there at the entry to the Dunes. Flags are required on ALL vehicles that will be driven on the sand, as are helmets - yes, even in UTVS. I don't know if they're requiring helmets in cars, but I don't chance it and use one any time I head out.

I do know that the BLM (rat bastards!) will have no problem ticketing anyone not wearing a helmet and they don't give warnings about it. It's pretty much a straight up "Pull over, sign on the line" type of meeting. - no I've not had a ticket for that, but I watched one of my buddies move a quad from one camp to another - maybe 20 yards - and it ended up requiring his signature.

They also aren't very nice about speeding around in the camping areas. Nothing over 15 mph within something like 50' of camp grounds (I'd swear I was at least 150' out...)

They also frown on glass bottles of any sort and will happily confiscate them from you and your crew and ticket the guy that's willing to say "yea, those three cases are mine" (thanks Larry, we appreciate you taking the bullet). As long as you keep your camp clean and respect the area, the BLM (rat bastards!) generally don't bother you.

No matter what is decided over the next 10 months, I guarantee that it will be one AWESOME week of play in the sand and/or dirt.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: MBN Gathering - Glamis President's Day Week 2015
    I am totally in! Obviously I gotta finish my buggy first, but that should be done this summer. Plenty of time for testing!!!

If I may make a suggestion... Take the lead on this, or enlist the help of one other experienced person, and just set the place, date, and times.

Or, set a date (like one month from now or something) that you'll stop taking input from others and then set the place, date, and times then.

This should keep things from getting drug out and never getting set. Not implying that it would, but I've seen it happen so often in other events I've been involved in.

Setting it up this far in advance gives us plenty of time to set it up in our Calendars and make it happen.

Thank you for getting the ball rolling! I'm am so excited to get to experience Glamis (or somewhere down there) for the first time!
    Just another Dreamer....

My website: http://www.moto-mule.com/

3. Collapse Details
    I'm in for either Gordons or Glamis.

One thing to mention about Glamis is that they have just released topened up a large portion of it that was closed. We were just there last weekend an people were taking the closure stakes as souvenirs
    2006 Sinister Sand Sport
    2009 Joylaris
    2004 YFZ450
    2004 Raptor 350

4. Collapse Details
    Oh man count me in buggy or not! This gives me a bit of a deadline when I should finish my build!

5. Collapse Details
    220 miles east of Glamis>>>Aka North Phoenix Az
    I'm in!! And that's a great posting K-fab. Exactly what you posted.

Do I dare say "title or registration for buggy since it's California"
    I should clarify. Title from the state (which ever one you live in) saying you own buggy.
    Sorry if this is a Debbie downer comment but I hope to have a open conversation just to clarify.

I only bring this up due to the title place (Sierra title) here in Phoenix had some non flattering stories of dune cops and buggies not having a ownership papers to show that person owned it.

Again Chikin is a jerk but want to have others help the MBN members get what they need prior to the Mecca of dunes.

If it's your first time. Hints of advice
    1- let your girlfriend not to interfere with your wife during this trip (or >vice-versa)

2- let any female know "look we just go here with the RV and have ONLY 50 gallons of water!!!"
    (Oh I flipped a wig knowing that dirt water was not good for 3 kids-- the first 8 hours it was used!!h

3- the guy who has a buggy with a VW engine is not the guy who needs some one to file the points while on a steep dune and joke and hit the starter AS YOUR SANDING THE POINTS as a joke (this guy is a DICK!)

4- you'll never be the same after this trip when you watch movies like "dune" or the desert scenes on Star Wars when there walking through the sand hills. (All you'll think is "that's some good sand to rip with my buggy!"

5- your a good rider-kids are safe---your having a awesome time----///// now leave the camp::: every thing changes..... I.e every one else is reckless, no one knows how to kid around my kids and slow the mother F--- down (this is not always true but be safe at all times for people who aren't---- they happen)

6- BRING SPARE PARTS AND THE LIST OF ITEMS YOU CAN GO TO THE LOCAL PARTS STORE (napa or autozone) in el-centro! You may need them

7- know that if at any time you need a mechanic/friend/beer caddie/soME one to go fetch that tool you just threw because your sooooooo mad a part can't be bought and your tending the fire for (X AMOUNT OF TIME REMAINING UNTIL YOU HEAD HOME) person is there to help you and all you need to do is ask for help (knowing we are some times needing a second eye to help see a fix we other wise would miss)

8- be who you are and IF that doesn't mix with alcohol (I.e beer..a few<< to hard liqueur which never helps) just know that your time may be cut short...in camp... As in have fun and do not let your fuel testosterone with liquid courage is some thing we do NOT WANT TO SEE and could get you asked to sleep it off and leave the following day or let your wife/girlfriend drive the RV as you leave. (Not the best description but hey it's a freaking list of help::: IM COVERED IN SHAK-N-BAKE)

9-know this will be the best weekend of your life with the builders/members who read your build pages and know not every site is created equal but this is the best site with the best members.

10--- since we're months out.... Please know this is only a guide and well you already knew all of these rules. It's simple. Have a great time and know we're all here to help each other have a great time. MOAR MOAR MOAR >>>>SHAK N BAKE<<<<
    Last edited by Chikin; 04-16-2014 at 11:21 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    I want to go, but i'll have to work on the wife a bit more. I did, however, get my brother in law to commit. so, if we go, we will have an xp and my buggy.

will be cool to meet everyone, that is for sure.

quick question... how do you show ownership if you built the buggy? we don't do anything like that down here unless we are registering it for on road use.

7. Collapse Details
    Let's make this a family event. My GF already said she's in.

I'll have my box van there, so we'll have tools. It's pretty well set up in that area.

Those of us that have dune experience will step up and play tour guide. This place can be very dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. We'll cover all this at the dunes, though.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    I want to go, but i'll have to work on the wife a bit more. I did, however, get my brother in law to commit. so, if we go, we will have an xp and my buggy.

will be cool to meet everyone, that is for sure.

quick question... how do you show ownership if you built the buggy? we don't do anything like that down here unless we are registering it for on road use.
    Throw the bugs in the trailer when youre not using them, everytime I go to Glamis rangers are going around camps sites checking registration on everyone's toys.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by emkc02 View Post
    everytime I go to Glamis rangers are going around camps sites checking registration on everyone's toys.
    You can get out of state temporary tags. This should be all you need if your state has no registration system for buggies. Of course, this all depends on how big of a power trip the ranger your dealing with is on. Not unheard of them ignoring the law and doing what ever the @@@@ they want.

10. Collapse Details
    Okay, so everyone's headed to Little Sahara and it makes me jones that I can't go...
    So I figured I'd spark this topic up again and say:

BE THERE!!!

Who's gonna show for this MBN gathering? I think a bunch of my buddies from here in Hell are going to make the trek. It's the group that's been doing the trip with me for the past 12 years.

And don't forget - this is a family friendly gathering. Bring the female counterpart with you. Just tell her she's not allowed to complain about her hair being a mess or her mascara smearing while duning.

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast