Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    SO CAL DESERT Racing Series
    Hi everybody

I need some feed back on the possibility of starting a DESERT racing series in Southern California.
    This would be dedicated to UTVs, Stadium lights type buggies and Motorcycle engined buggies.
    At this point everything is up in the air. What I am trying to ascertain is if there is enough interest for such a series. In other words “If I build it, will you come?”

The races would be shorter than the normal off-road races already in place which are really meant for full sized vehicles. I am thinking loops of about 25 miles and race length of about 100 miles possibly 150 miles.

The most likely area would be Barstow but other areas in So. Cal are not out of the question. Probably 5-6 races a year.

Rules would be pretty much standard as used by existing series.

Please let me know just how interested you would be. I would like to know just how many already race in other series and those who may consider entering but still have to prepare a vehicle.
    Thoughts, suggestion, opinions, concerns are all welcome

Thank you very much
    Tony
    mojaveUTV@gmail.com

2. Collapse Details
    Re: SO CAL DESERT Racing Series
    i would be interested but my fl250 sucks for desert... no rear suspension and like 2 inches(im being generous with 2 inches) of travel in the front....
    this being said and also in my price range would be an fl350 or a china buggy that i could put a new engine in and do some upgrades.
    would these be legal to race?

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by fl250driver View Post
    i would be interested but my fl250 sucks for desert... no rear suspension and like 2 inches(im being generous with 2 inches) of travel in the front....
    this being said and also in my price range would be an fl350 or a china buggy that i could put a new engine in and do some upgrades.
    would these be legal to race?
    For now what I am considering is have the stand Stock and pro/mod classes for UTV's and a sportsman class which would pretty much include just about anything with up to 1000cc. Depending how things turn out than further classes can be created.
    With this said if a dozen guys with 'busa powered buggies want to play I would go along with that.
    Further I have reservations about the integrity of the China buggies as far as cages go (and a few other things). Currently the rules call for 1.5" x .090 for under 2000lbs vehicles. I may consider 1.25" which is seems to be more common on bike powered buggies or under 1000lbs. After all is is not like a truck or class 1 is going to nail you.
    This is part of the reason for the series. You don't have to worry about a much bigger/faster racer turning you into road kill.
    One thing I have noticed is that many people will play in the desert all day long, but stay away from the racing trails. I would strongly advise anyone who would like to race to download one of the maps say from MORE
    and next time out try going on those trails. I have seen many get on a racing trail and turn around after 100 yrds. One thing is tearing up the camp site or roads that I drive a FWD sedan over another story to try the real thing.
    Tony

4. Collapse Details
    I like the general idea. I'm thinking you might want to consider running your series at Cal City. They're very offroad friendly and there isn't much else going on there. Also, i don't know what your experience with something like this is, but you may want to get some help from someone that has done this before. One is Lucho from RDC, he's done a number of Poker Runs around Cal City and another is Jerrod (I think) from Monaghan Motorsports in Tehachapi.

5. Collapse Details
    I like the idea but you will have to open the tubing rule up to the 1.25 size guys for sure.
    As you stated the under 2000 is 1.5 because of the bigger cars that may hit you. As you said
    if most of the cars racing are under 2,000 pounds then that rule is not as big of a factor.
    Tons of cars race and have been racing with the 1.25 size tubing from Micky Thompson and stadium races to desert racing and have done very well with the 1.25 size tubing for their own size and weight. Change or allow the 1.25 tubing to be used and you will have more people involved. If you make your smaller buggies bigger and safer for desert racing also their weight will increase when you start adding spare tires, tool kits, fuel cells etc. so you may want to allow the 1.25 tubing up to 1,500 pounds or even up to 2,000. Up to you but at least to the 1,500 to allow people to add all the safety gear and not worry about going over weight etc. and still be safe and not cut corners.

I like the idea a lot and think you will need an open motor class also to let some of the ecotech and other type of motored mini buggies run especially any of the turbo guys.
    (Just being fast does not make you a winner in offroading. So open class 1 mini buggy class should be set up to allow just about anything in to get your turn out and numbers up. Say anything 4 cylinder for example?)

You will need to allow some modifications or grandfathering in of some buggies for now if you are to make any real numbers and get people to turn out for the event.

As it is now if you just go off say the SCORE rules then you won't have almost any mini buggies and only get the Midisize buggies like X-18's, Fusions, My car Pepper Drives, then they will only show up if you allow automotive motors. UTV's would and should be able to make and pass their own tech so that should not be a big deal.

Anyways I like it and think the smaller loops because of the smaller cars is a great idea.
    Do like MORE does and have the limited CC buggies/vehicles run less laps and the modified cars
    run more laps. Pretty simple and that way everyone gets to get beat up evenly.
    The limited buggies with no wheel travel will be lucky to do 2 laps at 20 miles and still be able to
    walk the next day or even drive their buggies again.
    The unlimited guys well they should do the full amount... 100 miles on a normal race and maybe have a big race of 200 or something once a year.

Sounds good to me and please post up some more info and if you get some rules or closer rules to what you will allow or let run please post and then I will know if I can make it.
    Depending on entry fees, not worried about pay back just keep the entry fees low and a trophy for braggin rights and I am in.
    Well if I can pass your rules with my car then ya I would love to do some more racing. Count me in.
    Last edited by TutTech; 10-18-2009 at 09:45 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    Hi Tut
    Thanks for the words of wisdom.
    First and foremost a big thumbs up for Pepper's effort in the PP race even of she at least on one lap did not follow my advice to only use the right lane at the MM4 crossing... Now you probably know who I am... :-)
    Actually I started to consider this idea with "mini-buggies" in mind. But considering that UTV's seem to be reproducing like rabbits, I felt that using them as the main stay of the series would make the most sense. Apparently judging by the responses I may be wrong.
    As far as rules go I do not believe that the SCORE rules are the definitive way to go. There will be differences. This will be mostly true as far as "mini- buggies".... I have a serious problem with anything with a motorcycle engine other than bikes to be treated like lepers or something.
    I think that there is a place for them in desert racing.
    You've brought up the possibility of automotive engines, My concern is that some one spends a stupid amount of money on what is essentially a Class 1, parks a turbocharged Ecotec + Mendeola in it and thrashes the whole field. I am trying to figure out how to restrict such a class so that such a combo would not get much of an advantage. Keeping the wheelbase short say like your 3000 and restrict the suspension travel.

As I am writing this an idea popped in my head. The racing season is coming to an end RSN. How about organizing an outing to Barstow of everybody interested who my or may not already have a car and follow say the PP track so those who may not really have a good idea of what is like on a real racing trail. No racing or poker run. As long as there are no fees involved or an actual competition the BLM does not really care? It would be great having Pepper in your car leading the way she already knows the way and after wards we can bench race and maybe settle on what makes sense. I don't have a mini buggy but my play buggy will do. This would be a fun run just to explore the possibilities.
    Have a great day
    Tony

7. Collapse Details
    Oh another idea for automotive engines that I have had for a long time, is to use a FWD engine transmission in a mid engined configuration (MR2/Fiero). Allow any fwd trans coupled with any 4 cylinder engine. Scrapyards are full of these that can be had for a song. Allow custom inner stubs to use regular 930 CV's and the rest would probably come right out of Kartek's shelves or someone on a real tight budget use the whole FWD assembly... I suspect that a chassis for a 4-cylinder bike engine would probably allow such an engine/trans to fit even if you have to bring out a large hammer :-)
    I realize that the strength of the transmissions is dubious but that has never stopped the Class 9's, it's up to the driver.
    Tony

8. Collapse Details
    Thank you for the kind words and I will let Pepper know. I can meet you at Barstow in 45 minutes and we can run the 20 mile old Powder Puff loop that was used at first that Pepper and I practice on. It works great as it is 20 miles so you can test, time and see what fuel you use etc. It also has some of everything including a hill climb to let everyone see what they are in for. From hard pact dirt, a river bed, sand, rocks, a hill climb, couple fast sections then a bunch of return drops and rollers to bring you back into the start finish with some deep wheel ruts from big 37 inch tall tires digging them for people to see if their cars can even make it through without getting stuck... the stock sedan bugs or 11 class cars and UTV's have learned to drive through this terrain so if people do like you say and come check it out and see what they think I believe it is a great idea.

UTV's are a big group and that can be great to give them a chance to come race in CA. not out in best in the desert and not just on race tracks like Parris etc. but actual desert races. Heck they do really well at the Powder Puff race and set some amazing lap times!

Allowing automotive motors would be the largest buggies like class 1 cars of this event and with them growing and having more and more builders and supporters it would add to the numbers and could help bring sponsors etc. to your events. So I would not rule them out and just find a common ruling for them. 4 cylinders only stock intake. No turbos etc.? Also as mini buggies go wheel base plays a big part on how fast you can run and put your power to the ground so keep the idea of mini buggy and wheel base rules maybe or should be in effect? What makes a Mini buggy mini? Small size right? So a car should not say be bigger than........ or not have a wheel base longer than...... or classes based on wheel travel? I think some rules need to be started soon. For now a run what you brung and just get people to show would be best but start laying down ground rules soon.

The motor is a bit tricky but I am sure everyone could agree or allow them to race this year to get people in and if they have a sure win or something.. even though it is desert racing nothing is for sure and speed does not guarantee a win maybe just allow some stuff 1 year until you get everything worked out.
    After that first year then maybe you will have more racers and can maybe have more classes or inform people that they will have to comply with a motor ruling that is voted on by all racers that have raced the season??? Or something like that.
    Or if you win 3 first places you have to step up into the next class above your class.. if one is available. If not then work on what to do when/if that happens.

I am very curious about this because I am building a mini buggy... actually I have built several but I am building one for myself so I can make my own front a arms and rear trailing arms etc. and I am building it to be able to race a little.. nothing to crazy maybe at Glen Helen or maybe in next years powder puff. But I was simply going VW engine as I have 3 of them standing by.
    So it was a cost and availability issue with me. I have it so I am going to use it. If you allow automotive 4 cylinder engines then I would be able to come and race it with your organization and be able to be a much larger supporter etc. of this new adventure and possibly help bring sponsors etc. to the table. Who knows I may be able to help in other ways as well?
    Just an idea... just like class 9 only being able to run stock trannies then maybe restrict the automotive guys to cvts, chain drives or VW trannies.. no mendeolas.. etc? See what people think on that? A cvt will kick some serious butt to though.. but the X-18 guys can come race so that is why I say that. Are they minis? are they small enough? How small is a mini? What size car is to big?

Well keep working on it and yes lets set up a weekend and get everyone together to see what they are in for and what they would be up for. As BLM is held to even more strict land use issues you will have to run on current tracks so they are going to be rough. Very rough. So I think people really need to see what they are in for and we should have a day to meet and greet everyone interested and do a pre run, fun run type deal then sit around with everyone who shows up and discuss rules etc. better.
    No fees are needed on off race weekends. You will have to pay land use fees on race weekends and insurance etc. So these things will have to be checked into.

If in a year this realy gets going and we rule on motorcycle only motors I would be able to save up and find a motor and install it into the mini buggy I am building later on, but for now I do not have the money to build the car and buy motorcycle motors/FNR trannies etc. and I want to build my complete car to test and set it up complete with my a arms and rear arms most importantly for now.
    But I would be willing to build my mini buggy into a race car instead of a sand car and come race.

Well cool if you need some help let me know and I will try to help you out if I can.
    Good luck and you have my support,
    Tut.

Oh and I have gone accross that road crossing and in our small car and short wheel base staying to the right is a must.. but she did a driver change heading out on lap 3 and the new co rider did not remind her and she told me she forgot as she hit pretty hard!
    Ah oh well it happens.. The car is in perfect shape, she even helped another rolled car and she had a blast and that is all that matters.
    Last edited by TutTech; 10-18-2009 at 09:44 AM.

9. Collapse Details
    I'm in agreement with Tut. And, if you limit the type of vehicles too much, you won't get a huge turnout. If you allow, say 4 cyl car motors, then that will make a huge difference to your turnout. From a preformance standpoint, motorcycle powered buggies have similar power, so I don't really see an advantage either way. I also like the idea of running something relatively stock, like the sealed motors that SCORE, MORE, SNORE require.

10. Collapse Details
    You do make a good point on the bike horse power vs automotive engines.
    What makes a mini a mini? Well I am thinking 80" wheelbase only because at one point I was considering a Manx style buggy class. I believe that the stadium lites are about 72"? Much longer and you'll have Bajas/vw's at 94".
    Tut what wheelbase is your 3000 or the new one that you are building?
    One of Rorty's designs is 79".
    Tony

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast