Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    NOORA - PA Lites/buggy racing
    Home Page

I believe this organization used to race in eastern Ohio, but it appears now the track is in western PA and only a little over an hour away from me. They have made classes for Stadium lites/Pilots before as long as people show up to race. I would be down for any of these if other people show up.

Two of the dates are the same as GNCC races though, so I would imagine anyone interested in racing should pick one or the other so the classes don't get spread too thin.
    Last edited by minibajaman; 06-27-2009 at 07:26 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: PA Lites/buggy racing
    Millenium Member
    That's the group I raced with quite a bit. Good people. I'd consider making some of those races.
    I race, therefore I am

3. Collapse Details
    Bump, race this Saturday the 27th. Myself and Odypilots will be there.

4. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member
    Update. The week at St Joe took it out of me and Deanna. We're home and won't be making the race. I tried pretty hard, but she said we just went 1500 miles THIS way, and now you want to go HOW FAR THAT WAY? Nooooooooooope.
    I race, therefore I am

5. Collapse Details
    Re: NOORA - PA Lites/buggy racing
    No problem Dave, hope to see you at the next one. I went today, the Pilot class consisted of me and the Barkley bros were their with their CR500 long travel Pilots. It was a lot of fun, I will post a full report later.

6. Collapse Details
    Race report:

The track is new this year, apparently the old location in Ohio changed land use policies and is now gamelands or something so no more racetrack. The same people that ran those races are still running it now, and built this new track in their backyard. It is approximately a 1/2 mile loop, with several off camber corners, a few small jumps and one medium jump. Overall the track is pretty fast, I only had to slow down for maybe 3 of the turns and not at all for the jumps.

Anyway, it turned out to be only 3 cars in the Pilot/Stadium lite class. Myself, and two brothers who have been racing Pilots for years. They both had fully modified Pilots, one of which is Radical's old Pilot. I think that they were feeling pretty smug about their abilities while talking and looking over buggies in the parking lot. They had raced this track once before, while it was my first time.

The race format is practice, then two races with a break in between. The second race is always more laps then the first so there cannot be a tie. It was up to the drivers to decide how many laps to do, so we picked 8 and 10 laps for our class. The larger buggies did 10 and 12 laps. We drew straws for starting position for the first race, and I was last. The second race reverse the starting order of the first one. All races are rolling start.

The first race was tough because I started in the back and got stuck eating roost off both cars in front of me. I was really surprised that all of our buggies were very evenly matched, so much so that no passes were made the entire first race. We left the line about 20 ft apart and finished about 20ft apart as well. I just couldn't get the extra speed anywhere to make a pass, and no one made a mistake either.

For the second race I gridded 1st since I finished last in the first race. My only objective therefore was to not make any mistakes and not let anyone pass. The brother driving the Radical pilot was very close to me for the first several laps, and a few times I saw him start to try to pass me going in to a corner, but I held my line and he had to back off. Eventually, one of the Pilots made a mistake, and the last few laps I could relax a little as I realized they were starting to fall back. I took 1st place in this race, which meant I won the class for the day .

The brother driving the Radical pilot was quite pissed that I won, as he didn't seem used to the idea of losing. He claimed I cut him off a couple times, but I didn't do anything intentional or out of the scope of racing. If I am in first, I'm going to take whatever line I chose around the track, and if someone is trying to pass me on the inside going into a corner as I'm turning into the corner, I don't have to back off to let them do it, that's racing, and not cutting anyone off. I don't think I was in the wrong anywhere.

Anyway, even though the racing was fairly short time wise, it feels a lot longer when driving and was extremely fun. I'm looking forward to the next race, too bad it isn't until late September. Here are some pictures and a video of the second race.

YouTube - NOORA Round 2 Stadium Lite / Pilot main race

7. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member
    You are really outdoing yourself, another great writeup! THANK YOU for the video of the track. I've really been eager to see what they came up with. I like it, but wish the trees weren't in the middle of the track. What's behind the trees, a corner, or a jump, too?

So you met the Barkleys, Ben and Chris? They both can be pretty fast. I think I see Dan in one of the pictures. Speaking of pictures, it looks as though you are lapping the opposite direction of the video. Playing around?

I watched the video twice, and it looks as though you drove a very nice race to win, and unless something happened behind the trees, everything looked clean, on their part as well. A lot of good racing for you two in the second race, him trying you so often, and you holding him off. Great fun to watch! Much more fun to do. Even running in second, I'd have been overjoyed with the ammount of close running and passing chances he had.
    I race, therefore I am

8. Collapse Details
    My friend took the video. The first race ran the track in the opposite direction, which explains the pictures. We also had some practice time before the racing where we got to run the track both directions. Behind the trees in the video is just some corners, no jumps. Almost every corner is off-camber on this track, which makes it interesting. Yes Ben and Chris were the guys racing me. Chris is in the Radical pilot and has a slight advantage over Ben. Chris made a point to say after the race that he was taking it easy on me since it was my first race in a relatively newly built car, but he would not be so friendly next time. We'll see about that. It was definitely a ton of fun. You need to come out next time and show us what that 600 Pilot can do!

9. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member
    It will take an act of Congress to keep me away!
    I race, therefore I am

10. Collapse Details
    cool race. close racing is what makes it exciting ! the track looks pretty good although a little narrow. how many buggy's showed up ?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast