we are serious about starting a torc race class for these buggies
    if we can get the numbers colo raceway will approach sorra about
    starting this class
    thanks

2. Collapse Details
    Re: mini buggy racing
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Welcome to MBN.

You have quite a few Mates here on the board. Not sure who's in the Sydney area, but I'm sure that there are a couple members.

Guys racing Down Under:
    Talon
    Whitedragon
    Hambam
    Redliner
    missing someone here...

Does Buco race? (asking the board, not you samson )

Anyhow, there's a list of contacts that should be able to help you out.

Once again, welcome to the site.

3. Collapse Details
    thanks k-fab
    very much appreciated

4. Collapse Details
    Hey mate. I'm on the gold coast but there's about a 50% chance I'll be moving back to syd next year (I moved up here from sydney 4 years ago for work)

As far as I'm aware, they have tried to start a buggy racing club in sydney many times. Not having CAMS compliance makes that difficult and no one will let you run. I hear (not sure how true it is though) that some minis went up and did a demonstration at the SORRA track... and were setting better times than the $200,000 class 1 buggies. After that they didn't get asked back.

In qld we are finding more and more things to go in. There is an event called "superior engineering short course" which was on over the weekend, and I went in. 6 cudas in our division.

We also race at the Proston Rally which is run under CAMS as a khanacross. Its a dirt sprint type of event. Only have to meet basic safety regs for that one.

I hear that we can run in a lot of the tarmac hillclimbs in 'formula libre' but I haven't looked into it that much. One of the guys up here does it though.

One thing I will mention, is that there are probably 15 or so of us up here with buggies... but we rarely get more than 6 or 7 at an event. Mainly due to breakdowns and breaking parts. I think you need to do a big hunt down of all the sydney buggies and get the numbers up as much as you can. 5 or 6 probably won't cut it. There will be lots more, just need to find them.

Have a chat to the WA Superlites guys as well as torc. I believe they race under CAMS too.

If you're on facebook, add our group. "QLD SUPERLITES". We are trying to do the same thing up here and get CAMS compliance. A lot of places we have approached have said they are happy to have us... just need to get through CAMS so that they are insured. No one wants the liability

5. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    What does CAMS compliant mean? I'm guessing some sort of government thing?

No problem samson - I knew one of the guys would step up with good info.

Next to spammers, Australians are the fastest growing group here on MBN, so I bet if you guys can get networked, you can get things going.

Talon told me that with all that great outdoor area you have, it's really limited as to where you can go play. That's a bummer!
    Time to start a Dirt Revolution.

6. Collapse Details
    hi hambam
    both my mates buggies make cam spec unfortunatley mines only torc spec
    we are more about having social racedays more than full structured racing
    we talked with members of colo raceway they said if with enough buggies
    they would approach sorra about a torc class which is more a time trial( i think) type racing which we are fine with
    its more about about a bit of weekend fun for us
    no sheepstations or pinkslips involved
    thanks
    simon

7. Collapse Details
    You fellas from Down Under have some really cool racing over there... Very cool.

Justin
    Nowhere near the desert.

8. Collapse Details
    NSW the nanny state
    so much land so little access
    cams spec is the size and material used for the roll cage part of your buggy
    o/s dia 38.1 mm
    wall thickness 1.6
    chromoly cds steel

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by K-fab View Post

No problem samson - I knew one of the guys would step up with good info.

Next to spammers, Australians are the fastest growing group here on MBN, so I bet if you guys can get networked, you can get things going.

Talon told me that with all that great outdoor area you have, it's really limited as to where you can go play. That's a bummer!
    CAMS - Confederation of Australian Motor Sport.
    the regs are here
    Off Road

Its the governing body of almost all racing here in Aus. The problem is that the offroad racing regs are written for 'full size' buggies running car engines. The regs cover cage design as well as tube thickness and grade. The idea is that anyone can build a cage to this spec, and get it racing safely. You also need a build inspection when tacked, partially welded, and fully welded (at least that's what I hear)

However, most of us mini buggies only find out about this after we have built and its too late to upgrade the entire chassis. The barracuda at least uses the wrong size steel for the cage. Unless your buggy is certified under CAMS, insurance is difficult to get. This means racing anywhere is difficult to organise as liability is a killer these days.

The other problem with the regs is that they apply the same regs regardless of hp or weight, so I would have to build 400 kg mini to the same strength requirements of a 2 ton 700 hp class 1 buggy. Its quite ridiculous.

TORC spec is a Victorian (state in aus for the yanks) race club that managed to get approval from cams to race with the standard, lightweight build. They 'scrutineer' your buggy after its built, and they are racing on their own track under their own rules. Don't have to deal with the rest of the CAMS crap.

Perhaps Talon or one of the other torc guys will chime in, but I believe that they can only race on their own track?

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by K-fab View Post
    They are the governing body out here for most 4 wheel motorsport .
    Except , drag , speedway , and a couple of others .
    And as such are the typical red tape loving neanderthals
    that most governing bodies are .
    Correct, and if i was a bit younger and still had the urge like i used to i would be balls deep in that revolution , but at this point in time it easier to get on a plane and come churn some social dirt with you guys .

Samson , in a nutshell these are your options . I will start from easy and go to hard .As far as having a race goes.
    Cant speak for the WA guys as i am certain how they run .

1. join your local lite car club , get a CAMS LS2 licence and go do some autocross events , not wheel to wheel racing but good fun .Also will allow you to do some hill climb events.

2. Build your car to the national off road specs as Ham posted and go race with them, bearing in mind chances are they wont have a class for you and will lump you in some other class .And it can be expensive entry wise compared to what we run .

3. Build the car to your own design and pay CAMS the money to certify it and then you can race in whatever you want , as long as it meets that classes rules.

4. Just drive for 9 hrs down the Hume fwy and come rub wheels with us .

5 . Start your own CAMS affiliated club , and follow the TORC model. The problem with this is all the officials they want you to have can be kind of hard with such small numbers . We have around 30- 40 cars in the club and still struggle with this.

The National off road council approached us TORC last year and asked us to update and draft some regs that better reflect the current crop of cars we have .
    The job fell in my lap , i submitted them late last year and after approval they were to be incorprated in the motorsport regs for 2015 witch came out a month or two ago . I see there was nothing in it referring to us , so at this stage i would say that was a complete WOFTAM.

I am guessing it was you that spoke to Craig button recently , and if this is the case you should have a draft of those regs in your possession , correct ?

Anyhoo that is where we are at .

If you want to discuss anything further email me .

gareth@bboffroad.com.au
    Last edited by TALON; 06-16-2015 at 03:40 AM.
    Talon's YouTube Channel

Adapt what is usefull , reject what is useless and add what is your own.........Bruce Lee

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast