View Poll Results: Are you gonna buy Edge buggy plans now?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I won't buy buggy plans from The Edge Products

4 25.00%
  • No, maybe later without discount

0 0%
  • Yes, I buy the Barracuda plans

8 50.00%
  • Yes, I buy the Piranha plans

4 25.00%
  • Yes, I buy the Sidewinder plans

1 6.25%
  • Yes, I buy the Trax II plans

2 12.50%
  • Yes, I buy the Fun Kart III plans

0 0%
  • Yes, I buy the Raven plans

0 0%
  • Yes, I buy the 6x6 plans

0 0%
  • Yes, I buy the buggy trailer plans

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: All Edge Products plans 50% this week!
    I also got some of these plans to reference to for my rear suspension. They are pretty low quality and the weldment drawings are not very clear. There are also missing dimensions in a few of the drawings. Not to mention the watermark sucks. I have no idea how someone could build a buggy off these plans...

2. Collapse Details
    Take a look at page 177, the "PIRCV side plates" I can't tell which are dimmension lines and which are the actual part linesWTF. No wonder they were 50% 0ff

3. Collapse Details
    A bad case of yah gets what yah pays for?

Sad really they would not make sure this was decent quality even at this price.

Maybe they will make it right and get clear plans out to the buyers.
    Last edited by nutz4sand; 09-10-2011 at 11:02 PM. Reason: added last line
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

4. Collapse Details
    So, what you are saying is, if I would have bought the plans at full price I would have received better plans. It's hard to beleive that they have two sets of plans. Full price-good quality and 1/2 price- crapy quality.
    There seems to be a fair amount of Barracudas built before this cheap plan deal. Can anyone with those plans comment about the quality of their plans. Are they the same plans. Maybe I'm being too fussy.
    Don't get me wrong, I still think it was a good deal to get the cuda plans for $52 cdn. I am just surprised the downlodable version is clearer.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Stomper View Post
    So, what you are saying is, if I would have bought the plans at full price I would have received better plans.
    Seesm that way. The book they sell or used to sell was pretty dang nice.

It's hard to beleive that they have two sets of plans. Full price-good quality and 1/2 price- crapy quality.
    The bound book copy was like 150 I think. But pretty sharp.

There seems to be a fair amount of Barracudas built before this cheap plan deal. Can anyone with those plans comment about the quality of their plans. Are they the same plans. Maybe I'm being too fussy.
    Don't get me wrong, I still think it was a good deal to get the cuda plans for $52 cdn. I am just surprised the downlodable version is clearer.
    A lot of guys have the book and I beleive many to most were built off of it.

It was not downloadable (but they did that too I beleieve ) but the book was mailed to you.
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

6. Collapse Details
    I got my Barracuda plans about two years ago. No watermark, bound hard copy with one of those plastic comb thingies.
    I followed the plans as closely as I could. The problems I had are generally in three catigories. 1) changing all of the dimensions into english from metric. Since a lot of joint dimensions are stacks of metric components a lot of attention needs to be given to figure things out correctly. 2) Missing dimensions. I was able to work out what I needed from the dimensions that were there, but in some cases it took trig to work out since all that was given was an angle and a length on the angle. 3) I used many purchased parts that were not from Edge and didn't fit as designed. The worst was fitting a 65 tooth sprocket (instead of 60) and a GSXR 6 puck caliper for the brakes. Lots of extra work/rework to fit everything.

Good luck, overall it's an awsome buggy.

Leo

7. Collapse Details
    Leok
    I just read through your build thread a couple days ago you did some very nice work. If I remember right, you did everything from scratch. no lasercut parts or farmed out machining. You did everything the old fashion way by yourself. IF I remember corectly that is.

8. Collapse Details
    Stomper,

Yes, I did build, plasma cut, turn and mill all for the parts for my buggy ..... except for shocks (FOA), GSXR calipers, 65 tooth sprocket, bearings and (Summit Racing) Steering Wheel. It was integrating these into the design after the fact that added soooo much work.
    The calipers were too wide which required spacers and new mounts needed to be done. The sprocket had to be offset with a spacer, and a special bash plate fabricated. The fact that I wanted the clutch on a pedal instead of the shifter added all sorts of complications to the steering system as noted in my build thread.
    My message in the post above is that the plans are great .... just don't expect everything to fit unless you buy the purchased components from Edge. Or better yet, modify the design as needed before you fabricate if you can figure things out ahead.

Leo

9. Collapse Details
    Yeah I understand about modifications. I have a couple sets of plans now and I am taking ideas that I like from both plans as well as ideas from other builds that I see and I am modifying them to fit my own design. It is alot of work and very frustrating sometimes, with a few "do overs" also, but I am way to pig headed and want to make my own design, weather thats a good idea or not. I beleive it will turn out good as there is always lots of great help from the members here.
    Last edited by Stomper; 09-17-2011 at 06:19 AM.

10. Collapse Details
    I just purchased and downloaded a set of the Piranha plans from Edge. They are not super crisp, clean images, but I am not having any trouble reading the info off of them. I read a lot of crappy steel prints at work, so I've become very good at finding dimensions and discerning dimensions from part lines. Also, I thought I noticed a link to DXF files for parts on the download page, but after downloading the plans, I can not get back into my account. I'll have to wait until tomorrow for an email response.

I'm going to try to get started this winter on building a kart or buggy of some sort. The ubuilditplans shredder II seems to be the easiest option for something that will fit in the back of my F150, but I really, really want a bike engined IRS buggy like the Piranha. I'd have to trailer the piranha, but it would be worth it, right?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast