Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Protodie Master and Vendor ProtoDie's Avatar
    Here is a link to the 1st heat race that I was in, my rear wheel bearing blew out in this one, but I did not know until I was back in the pits.
    I am putting hi speed/ load bearings in now.

http://downhomeracing.com/videos/Bobs_heat_05-21-06.ram

Another thing as you will see is that I stalled it off the line. For some reason, I can't get the low end engagment out of my 2003 gsxr 600.
    I ran it yesterday and it was the same thing. I will rev up to 10000 rpms and dump the clutch only to have it bog right down to 3000 rpms and the power band really starting to kick at 6000. If I start at 7000 it will most likely stall?????
    The 2004 gsxr 600 that my brother runs does not have this issue, it lights them up.
    Same sprockets, same rear tires and everything except for different year motors.
    2003/2004 was a model change year and they changed a few things like the throttle body size and a little bit of gearing in the bike tranny, but this seems odd to me. Is there more torque in the 2004?
    We are both switching to 50t rear sprockets to gear it down some more.

I am not that familiar with the " power commander' but would something like that give me options on changing the powerband range if needed?

2. Collapse Details
    Re: ProtoLite Car Complete
    Wow, been a long time since I posted in this thread, but it seems like the best place to continue.

Whole season of racing last summer was awsome, learned alot and now I am gearing up for this season.
    Car has a 930 cv drive train in it now, which added several more inches of travel

Some of the *plastic panels I had turned brittle and cracked this winter . *From the heat cycles this summer to the cold Michigan winter was too much for some of them. *Plastic was nice to work with, and nice to have the color go all the way thru versus paint, but time to try something else for long term.

Unlike previuosly stated, I am going with aluminum panels & powder coat. * The other 2 buggies have gone with steel panels powder coat.

We will do some comparison tests this racing season to see which is better , Alum or steel.

I am using 0.080" 6061 alumnium. *It is abit thicker than needed, but I usually overbuild to last. *
    When making these panels, Dan picked up some really sweet fabrication pins
    http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... _760577_-1

These were a huge time saver, and made panel work alot easier. *They are a spring loaded 3/16 pin that temporarily holds the panel in place instead of a rivet or bolt. *Panels go on & off in no time while you are working on them. *Pretty cheap too.

3. Collapse Details
    Aluminum *6061 0.080" x 4x8 sheet $180
    1 sheet is just right for all the panels on 1 car,,,,,,,,,,,,,screw up 1 panel and you have to buy a secound sheet,,,,,, [smilie=banghead.gif]
    Sheet #2 * $180
    Powdercoat $100
    New vinyl graphics $230ish

Just dropped off the panels yesterday to the powdercoat place, he says a day or 2. *New panels will be black with prism metal flake in them,,,,,,,,,,,,,that is the stuff that changes color in the sunlight.

The graphics will be the same as the show panels

4. Collapse Details
    Just one comment biautifuuuuul *[smilie=blowkiss.gif] love it, look awsome, we use a lot of this clip in our plane
    "Anything is possible, it's just matter of Time, Money "
    "Always think out of the box"

5. Collapse Details
    The girl or the car??????????? *Thanks

6. Collapse Details
    I was always curious how well powder coat would stick to aluminum. *Jodi, do you know if they rough it up first or etch it with phosphoric acid?

The aluminum work looks real good on the buggy...how did you form the curves? *By hand or other tool?

7. Collapse Details
    The "package"
    "Anything is possible, it's just matter of Time, Money "
    "Always think out of the box"

8. Collapse Details
    RXPO,
    To my knowledge they do not have to do anything special, at least they never mentioned anything. We have had our fuel cells powder coated, and they did not mention anything *either.

I have a hand sheet metal brake that we made, and shimmed it to have a 1/4 gap to bend the .080 aluminum,,,,,that way there are no sharp lines in the bends. *Then it is just alot of small bends to create a smooth curve and fit the panel to the frame.

9. Collapse Details
    I *know one is a good ride,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but did not get a chance to test the other

10. Collapse Details
    I believe they etch everything with acid, i am posative that magnum acid etched stuff prior to powder...I like the package as well.... Wonder if them jugs are ported and polished, or just got sleeves in them...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast