Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Oh, I forgot something, car looks kickin, just dont go and wreck it with that damn 17 on the side!!

Ps: I think an 8 on the side would really set it off! 8)

2. Collapse Details
    Protodie Master and Vendor ProtoDie's Avatar
    Yes it will be #17. I had to go with a fast # again.
    I almost did the frame yellow and black again. But I chose to do the platnium and black for this car. Real happy with how it's turning out.

I hope to be passing #8 on the track.
    I talked with SW Bill last night, and he says the R6 is sold, and he will be running the sidewinder out at Bob's this summer.

3. Collapse Details
    Got the hood made and drove the car outside for some pics today. Working on the rest of the body panels this week.

It sounds like alot of people run the 930 cv's, which are larger and are capable of more angle, so they may not have this problem.

I am running type 4 cv's on the car which to my understanding are also porsche 924's & 944's.

I am close to maxing out the angle at full droop. The cv's do not bind, but start to show a little resistance at full droop.

I am running the stock cv boots. My problem is that at full droop the axle can wear thru the cv boot becauase off the angle. The rubber is mounted on the inside of the cv boot cap, which can get ground off by the axle.

If the rubber boot were on the outside of the cap, I do not think it would be a problem.
    I do not want the universal style of boot that covers up the cv bolts, because I want to check them frequently.

I may try to modify the metal cv cap to put the rubber boot on the outside of the cap without covering the cv bolts.
    Any good ideas, or does any one know of a good cv boot that would resolve this???

4. Collapse Details
    I have boots covering my cv's on my single seater. There is no flange, just the boot. I found that a cv boot off a front wheel drive shaft from a 90's chevy 4x4 will fit over the entire cv body and over the 1.25 inch axle. I know you wanna check your bolts which you still can but you have to undo the clamp that attaches it over the cv only to do so.
    www.SinisterSandSports.com
    918-521-3736
    Yes, i'm on facebook clicky clicky.................

5. Collapse Details
    What cv's are you running? Did you use the original cap with the chevy boot?

I have a set of universal boots that will go over right now, But I need to use the original cap to retain the ball bearings and I may have to cut the center out for additional clearance. The cv bolt heads were pushing against the universal boot, and I did not think it would hold.

Or I may try welding a bead on the lip of the cap and trim the boots to use the smaller diameter off the boot on the cap.

Thanks

6. Collapse Details
    What color is the other car, and what number will it be supporting?

7. Collapse Details
    The other car is bright orange, with some black and blue accent pieces.
    I believe he will be running #31 as he is a long time Jeff Burton fan.

This way we don't show to the track and have conflicting numbers because there are 3 cars there with #8 on the side and 4 cars with #3 on the side. I like #8 but would not want to have 8C on the side, with the C made out of duct tape.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ProtoDie
    What cv's are you running? Did you use the original cap with the chevy boot?

I have a set of universal boots that will go over right now, But I need to use the original cap to retain the ball bearings and I may have to cut the center out for additional clearance. The cv bolt heads were pushing against the universal boot, and I did not think it would hold.

Or I may try welding a bead on the lip of the cap and trim the boots to use the smaller diameter off the boot on the cap.

Thanks
    I didn't use a flange at all, just bolted the 930 up and put a boot over the whole thing. The axle hits the cv side before it can pull the balls out, regardless, you should have straps to limit the cv's while driving so they don't go beyond their max angle. Some people say the flange is there to keep the balls in place, this doesn't make sense to me. The flange is a piece of tin, if the balls were at the point of coming out, the piece of tin for a flange wouldn't stop them, it would get bent and eff up everything. The flange in the back is what guides the balls, I don't think you need the boot flange. This is my opinion and based on 2 years of driving without 1 single problem from my cvs which I ran without straps and had clicking past max angle. If they were gonna eff up, I would have seen it by now.....
    www.SinisterSandSports.com
    918-521-3736
    Yes, i'm on facebook clicky clicky.................

9. Collapse Details
    That makes sense, and as you said, was well tested.
    When we 1st put the cv's together, the balls would come out without the cap on, but they were not fully assembled and must have been past the max angle when they were coming out.
    I did just get done modifying one of the caps and I looks like that will work out pretty nice. I cut the boot off, which was mounted to the inside, cut some inside clearance on the lathe, and welded a bead to the outside .(of the smaller diameter,not the O.D.)

I trimmed the universal boot to fit the smaller Dia. and it goes on for a nice fit, and I can access all the bolts with removing the boot. I will test this for a while, and if I have any problems I will remove the cap and cover the whole thing with the boot.

I am going to add limit straps to the rear A arms. The Fox air shocks are currently what limits the A arms and cv's.
    Our 1st race is next week and is a flat track, so I may not need the straps for that, but when I head up to dunes for some "flight testing" I will for sure have the limit straps on.

Thanks for your help

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ProtoDie
    The other car is bright orange, with some black and blue accent pieces.
    I believe he will be running #31 as he is a long time Jeff Burton fan.

This way we don't show to the track and have conflicting numbers because there are 3 cars there with #8 on the side and 4 cars with #3 on the side. I like #8 but would not want to have 8C on the side, with the C made out of duct tape.

lol, im just teasing anyway, i like all off those rousch boys myself, i dont have 1 select fav, have about 10, and as long as the 48 eats the wall i am happy!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast