1. Collapse Details
    Converting chain drive to axles
    Thumbs up
    Hey guys i new to all of this so excuse my ignorance. But what i need help in finding is a gear box i guess you could call it that will convert the chain drive off a Ninja 750 motor to axle drive.

Basically what im working on is a small 2 seater go kart that will have a Ninja 750 motor on it. I want it to have full suspension as well as disk breaks in the back rather than a traditional solid drive axel in the back like a regular go kart.

Ive seen a few things like the FNR tannies but honestly i only need to go forward. The bike motor itself already has neutral and im not worried about reverse. More than anything im looking for something that can hold the power or that motor which is around 100hp but also isnít glamorous or more importantly doesnít carry the price tag of some of the FNR boxes ive seen.

Any info from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Keith

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Converting chain drive to axles
    There is no all gear solution, you'll still need a chain into the gear box. So if you are not looking for reverse, you might as well go straight chain. The biggest down side is a big gear reduction means a big rear sprocket and therefore reduced ground clearance.

3. Collapse Details
    You don't need a gearbox, just a chain drive to a bearing carrier, that then has u-joints or cv's with axles leading to the wheels which allow for the suspension. Basically just like the solid axle setup but with independent axles that allow for the suspension movement. Most of the cars shown on here have that setup, but with much more travel than you are looking for.

4. Collapse Details
    Alright that makes sense but would you have any idea where i could find a setup like this. Most bearing carriers that ive seen use a solid axel rather than the u-joints like you described.

Thanks for the reply
    Keith

5. Collapse Details
    I think Protodie makes a setup like that.

6. Collapse Details
    The spool center you are thinking about is something that many have tried to make a simple and cheap unit out of. There are several common ways to do it but none of them that are strong are really very cheap. Most involve a good bit of machining and or custom short driveshafts with CV flanges on the ends. I have even heard of someone trying to take a quad axle and cut it off outside the center area and weld flanges to it. I never did hear how or if it worked out.

Take a look at the following thread and see what Arrowhead did. Strong and cheap and multiple range. Works for tight trails or wide open spaces. And reverse. You said you did not think you need reverse but for this price you would not be mad you had it.

https://www.minibuggy.net/forum/welco...ce-oregon.html

If it aint your thing thats cool. But for a spool setup you will be lucky to get by for under $200.00 and thats finding deals on the parts. Just buying something outright will be much more. The tranny thing will also tend to give you more ground clearance. Another plus. Just some food for thought. Bill

P.S. Are you looking at U joint axles or CVs?
    Last edited by nutz4sand; 09-19-2008 at 01:46 PM. Reason: adding info
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

7. Collapse Details
    The latest issue of Sand Sports has a home made 'Busa powered car that used a aluminum axle carrier from Lone Star and Dura Blue axles that he modified. Nice looking car and rear suspension. Front suspension is equal length a-arm with typical SSC and Sick old school design. Looks cramped to me since the driver has to wrap his knees around the wheel. Check it out.

8. Collapse Details
    Another option is turn the motor 90 degrees, weld a u-joint yoke to the sprocket and fit a suitable rear end, i.e. miata LSD, or for that matter a complete B210, i think, rearend. Find some Dwarf cars in your area and try to check their drive line. That would be the cheapest route, IMHO.

9. Collapse Details
    Im planing on the same kind of project, i was going to use a Suzuki Samurai transfer case turned sideways fix a sproket to the input yoke and hook the driveshafts to the output yokes, thay are small and you would end up with a hi and low gearing. thay are pritty cheap at salvage yards. good luck with the build and rember to take lots of pic's for a build post....