Thread: Axles

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Axles
    Something has been bugging me for a long time on here. A live axle is one that has power applied to it. All of these buggies have live axles. Some have a diff, and some don't. If you don't have a live axle, that means you are either riding a bike or you have one of those cheap one wheel wonder go karts with the sprocket mounted to the wheel. That's all.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Axles
    Check out a thread called to diff or not to diff

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by boostinjdm View Post
    Something has been bugging me for a long time on here. A live axle is one that has power applied to it. All of these buggies have live axles. Some have a diff, and some don't. If you don't have a live axle, that means you are either riding a bike or you have one of those cheap one wheel wonder go karts with the sprocket mounted to the wheel. That's all.
    WHy are you ???? You should be since you have corrected us.Oh wait! You only said it was wrong.What is the correct term?

4. Collapse Details
    Pros and Cons of a Live Axle

Isn't that a live axle? IRS is not considered a live axle even if its a solid posi and both tires get power. Bill
    Last edited by nutz4sand; 07-31-2008 at 06:59 PM. Reason: adding IRS bit
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

5. Collapse Details
    AAW,c'mon nutz,I was wanting to read his answer.

6. Collapse Details
    Sowwy.....

I always have to remind meself (yah I know its not a word) that a axle WITH power is live. Its just not a live axle.... (Great now I ruined it worser....) Bill
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

7. Collapse Details
    It's not that the term is wrong, there just isn't any reason to refer to it as a live axle. All the drive axles on this site would be live axles. Most of them would actually be split live axles without a diff. Some of them would split live axles with a diff. A few of them like mine would be straight live axles. The front axles are dead axles for the most part. Meaning they don't have any power applied to them. I am not trying to pick a fight here. There just isn't any reason to keep referring to it as live when that is obvious. Here are a few terms I found.
    Drivetrain
    Definition: All the moving components of the car as a whole including the engine, clutch, transmission, driveshaft, differential, axles and wheels.
    live axlenounthe axle of a self-propelled vehicle that provides the driving power
    dead axlean axle that carries a wheel but without power to drive it Split axle
    In split-axle designs, the wheel on each side is attached to a separate shaft called a half shaft
    Strait axle
    A straight axle is a single rigid shaft connecting a wheel on the left side of the vehicle to a wheel on the right side

8. Collapse Details
    I must be too slow, you guys responded three times while I was typing my answer.

9. Collapse Details
    You're right nutz, IRS is not considered a live axle because IRS is not an axle at all, it's a type of suspension.

10. Collapse Details
    No biggie by me. I always just say front or rear. If it happens to be a 4x4 I mention that. I also say solid or independant pertaining to whichever axle.

By the way I like your avatar. You own that? Is it V-8? My first real hotrod was a 1980 Monza Spyder. It had a v-6 that got toasted so we put a v-8 in it and was it fun! It always had traction issues as I could never find big rims/tires to fit its tail end. But I do miss that car. Bill
    Last edited by nutz4sand; 07-31-2008 at 07:30 PM. Reason: spulling

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast