1. Collapse Details
    Chain Tensioner, Up or Down, Push or Pull?.
    Ok guys, a quick question. My brother and I have been discussing new chain tensioner designs, due to him blowing his apart in our maiden race , (we came in second by the way [smilie=rockout3.gif]). We both agree that a spring loaded "pulling" tensioner is better than a "pushing" one, but as far as mounting and the such I thought that it would be a good idea to mount it hanging from above and pulling up but my brother says that chain tensioners can NOT be between the in put and the out put sprockets on the top side of the chain, in other words on the driving and tensed side of the chain *and not on the bottom "slacked" side of the chain. What are the technical pro's and con's to either scenario?

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Chain Tensioner, Up or Down, Push or Pull?.
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Tensioner has to be on the "slack" side of the sprockets - so it needs to be on the bottom of the system. *You want it to push up on the chain (towards the chain on top), giving more contact between the sprocket and chain as opposed to pulling down which will give less sprocket contact with the chain.

3. Collapse Details
    Blog Entries
    What you really want is a double roller tensioner. There are 2 arms with rollers, 1 on top and 1 on the bottom with a large spring between them. Then you always have tension, even on decel.

4. Collapse Details
    Olympia, Wa. or 25 gallons of Diesel from the dunes
    When doing a tensioner always have it on the slack side of the chain.....I did have a setup on mine for a while, it was a fixed style tensioner. Bascially set the tension you need then bolt it down and lock it into place. I used a idler sprocket from Grainger, a couple 1/2 bolts and a bracket. It worked fairly well, it was just noisy.
    IMO the best way to do it would be to remove the chain tensioner completely and have either your motor or hub/differential pivot to take up the chain slack.
    Being pushed to better yourself is never a bad thing.

EL TORO sand car w/ intercooled TURBO 1397 Busa / Subaru STI diff. / cutting brakes

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bdkw1\";p=\"70893
    What you really want is a double roller tensioner. There are 2 arms with rollers, 1 on top and 1 on the bottom with a large spring between them. Then you always have tension, even on decel.
    We all have our own preferences but I have to respectfully disagree with the above.A chain that is positively adjusted as suggested earlier with no spring tensioning is the best method by far. IMO only of course.

6. Collapse Details
    Fabber - So you dont agree with spring loaded tensioners? Does (did) your buggy(or any other buggy for that matter) *put gnarly stress on the chain and tensioner when down shifting under high revolutions?

BDKW1 - so from what you posted above are you saying that its ok to put a tensioner on the top? Implying that the "top side" of the chain does not necessarily need to be a straight line from the input to out put sprockets?

7. Collapse Details
    There is far more stress involved with a hard upshift than a downshift.You don't need to worry about that.The tensioner on top is not a good idea.All the stresses are going to be born by that tensioner sprocket on top nearly all the time.Not good. The best way is to avoid a tensioner completely.Mount the FNR or the jackshaft so that it can tension the chain.