Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Reverse gearbox Help
    Im in the process of building a truck and im using a cbr 600f4i. My plans are for my truck to be a 2 seater. I dont think that the Cbr 600 f4i will have a enough power. But im building from the ground up so if i have to i can drop something with more power in it later. But theres the delema of no reverse so i have been doing some research and theres a few options to choose from on reversing gearboxes. But the only info i can really find are on the Jeffco unit, or the Rpm unit and 1 of the quaife units. They are all a little pricy i think. But if i have to i guess ill spend the money. i dont really have a choice if thats what i have to spend, thats what i have to do. But anyways. My question is
    I was looking at these reverse gear boxes http://www.autotech.com/quaife/index2.htm and at the very bottom of the page it has an in line reverse gear box. my plans are to use a rear end out of a car so this would just go between my rear end and the engine and would work perfect for my aplication. But my question is How much power can one of these Quaife in line reverse gear boxes handle? If i want to upgrade to a hyubusa later will it handle the power.

My other question is, has anyone tried using any reversing gear boxes out of any of the polaris vehicles. The sportsman 800 and the new ranger rzr have seperate gear boxes with H-L-N-R. I like the idea of the H and L gears and they also have an output on the front so if i wanted i could make make truck a 4WD which i am considering.

For my truck my plans are to have A-ARMs frotn and rear. with CVs in the back ( if i plan on making it 4wd Cvs in the front also) *with a nissan rear end out of something like a 300 zx because those rear ends are fairly small and will handle the power to weight very well since they are made for cars. If using the quaife in-line unit will not handle the power of about 200 Hp then should i just go with the jeffco unit with the diff? but then no 4wd whcih i can live without. But $3500 for a reversing gearbox i think is a little much. *

Thanks for the help.
    Bryan

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Reverse gearbox Help
    Olympia, Wa. or 25 gallons of Diesel from the dunes
    Welcome Bryan,

About the quaife reverse unit I have seen one first hand (not mounted in a car). El Toro sand cars had one they were playing with for a while, the unit was mounted in line with a fuji 160 rearend and from what I saw it seemed to be very senstive to alignment angles. Meaning that if you move the units out of line at all the quaife would bind up, also the reverse level to activate the reverse was always really notchy and tough to activate. If it was up to me I wouldnt use one for a sand rail.
    If you have the money go with a jeffco, its the only unit I have seen that will hold up to the abuse and power of a busa motor.
    Being pushed to better yourself is never a bad thing.

EL TORO sand car w/ intercooled TURBO 1397 Busa / Subaru STI diff. / cutting brakes

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the help. Yea its going to be in a off road baja style mini truck so if there is any problems with it i wouldnt want to use it. i think the jeffco is really my only choice then if i want it to be reliable and work right.

Now do you guys think the 600 f4i will be enough power?
    Thanks for the help
    Bryan

4. Collapse Details
    Not for me.

5. Collapse Details
    Whats the projected weight for it?

6. Collapse Details
    Well i think it will be around 1200 pounds or so. I want to have about 20 inches of travel with a fiberglass truck body. So with 2 passengers i think that it will be around 1600 pounds.

Next Question. If anyone has a Bigger engine and wants a 600 f4i Ready to go willing to trade plus some cash let me know?

7. Collapse Details
    Not enough motor, UNLESS you run two of em! *Then your 4wd will have a simple solution. *That would be pretty sweet actually.

8. Collapse Details
    Nah i think i would rather run 1 engine. 2 engines just takes away the idea of using a street bike engine. Im using one to cut back on weight, and have the ability to shift on the fly instead of depressing a clutch everytime i want to shift.
    But the idea of 4wd i thought would be cool. it would be on the lines of a Side X Side style. But its going to be slightly bigger. My plans are to fiberglass a full body so it will be a mini truck. The wheels may stick of the wheel wells but as long as it looks like a truck im on with it. im hoping to keep it the same specs as a rhino so i can run in the UTV rhino class in some of the races. *the one this guys is building looks very nice and similar to what im doing but has trailing arms in the rear and i want to use a-arms. https://www.minibuggy.net/modules.php?na ... c&start=90
    what class would this car be in?

9. Collapse Details
    Well i dont have a cad program but i have paint and a little bit of time so here a paint rendering i made just to give an idea of what i want to do. sorry its on paint though. But you will get the idea.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase044\";p=\"57350
    what class would this car be in?
    can be found here
    http://www.rorty-design.com/content/R16 ... manual.htm

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast