Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Max plunge for 930CV?
    Just as the topic states, how much axle plunge can a 930 handle?

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Max plunge for 930CV?
    I can tell you from personal experience, that even though people claim 27 and 29 degrees, they click like a mo fo at 24, so I would say 22 to 23 max....
    www.SinisterSandSports.com
    918-521-3736
    Yes, i'm on facebook clicky clicky.................

3. Collapse Details
    27 to 29 is really high I was planning more in the 23 realm. Thats angle but how much plunge ie. change in axle length due to suspension cycling.

Thanks

4. Collapse Details
    duh...I didn't , lol. I believe there is 3" total between 2 930 cv's......
    www.SinisterSandSports.com
    918-521-3736
    Yes, i'm on facebook clicky clicky.................

5. Collapse Details
    A 930 CV has 16mm [.63"] plunge within the joint, however, most buggies also rely on undersize axle splines sliding within the CV star to provide additional "plunge". It's a less than satisfactory solution, but one of the compromises we make in the quest for more travel.

6. Collapse Details
    So if I have 2" of total plunge is that too much?

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by MXman\";p=\"39573
    So if I have 2" of total plunge is that too much?
    That's not an uncommon amount of plunge these days. Just make sure your axles have sufficient spline length so the cages aren't overloaded at full droop.

You may want to run a circlip on (at least) the inner ends of the axles too and insure the stars are a good sliding fit on the axle splines to avoid binding. You can ease them with grinding paste and lots of wrist action if needed. My site is supposedly being migrated right now, but if you can get onto it, there's a section in the Tech page that describes the process of fitting the stars to the axles.

8. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Definitely run the C-clips on the ends of the axles.

I believe that my setup uses about 1.5" of plunge on each end of the axle (3" total plunge)*. *The spline length is approximately 2.5" on each end. *

There are signs of the axles having enough movement that the ends do touch the CV cups, but I've not had any issues with them hitting hard enough or with enough duration to cause any damage to either the axle or cups.

Make sure you have at least .250" of axle movement between the CVs at full droop and the same, if not closer to .500" of movement at the point in the travel where the CVs are the closest together. *(this should be when the axle sits horizontal to the ground)

*before someone jumps on this, I'm not talking about my new axles on the 10 Dez - I'm talking about the Old Dez...

9. Collapse Details
    There are discussions about this on other boards and the answers are quite varied . Seems to be an application specific question.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by masterfabr\";p=\"39693
    There are discussions about this on other boards and the answers are quite varied . Seems to be an application specific question.
    I don't understand what you're saying. Do you mean some people claim there's no need for axle float, or are you referring to the axles contacting the cups?

If you're worried about contact between the axles and cups, there's no problem with that as long as the opposite end of the axle isn't in contact with its cup (i.e. the axle is locked up). If you are experiencing axle contact, it's wise to throw the axles in a lathe and radius the ends so the splines never actually come in contact with the cups - otherwise the cups can peen the ends of the splines over making it impossible to slide the CVs off the axles.

I used to install Teflon buttons into the ends of my axles so not only were the splines protected, but the axles were cushioned from hard-hitting the cups.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast