Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Honda Odessy gearbox.
    Hi everybody. I just found this site in glamisdunes.com. This site is EXACTLY what I have been needing. We are currently wrapping up the design portion of our single seat mini buggy. It is basicly a 3/4 scale Class 1 car and it looks like a Chenowth Millenium 1 seater or like a RC 10. Specs are 90" wheel base, 75" track width, 120" overall length (has to fit in the toy trailer with my bike!!!) F & R A-Arms, 20" travel F & R, lazer cut interlocking plate A-Arms and bulkheads (assembles like LEGOs!!), CNC light duty front hubs and brakes, BTR beadlock wheels (wide 5), 30x9.5x15 BFG AT, Fox 2.0x10 co with mounts already built for a 2.0 bypass in the rear, 1.25 .120 DOM chassis, CBR 600F4i engine. All of the suspension and chassis geometry was designed in Autocad and Solidworks. Now hears my question. Reverse is a must. I currently have a Honda Odessy gearbox with U-Joints, brakes, axles, hubs etc. Will this work with a F4i engine? I know Honda makes some bullet proof stuff but I'm still pretty leary about it. Specs on the engine are 110hp at 12500rpm and 50.2 ft.lbs at 10500rpm. This car will RARELY see sand since I'm not really a glamis fan and 90% of my riding is at Ocotillo Wells in the desert. Although this is for my wife, she beats the living cr@p out of my friends Pilot and I will have a lot of fun with it as well. The gearbox has a final drive ratio of 10:1 so sprocket size is also a question someone could possibly answer for me. Another question I have is the output of the stator. I want to run 4 lights at 100w each. I know this is a lot but I REALLY don't want to have to go with HIDs. It could probably be re-wound but Baja Designs doesn't want to touch it and I don't know of anybody else. GREAT forum and thanks!!!!!
    Over complicating mini buggies since 2005

Certified lazy fabricating laser junkie

K-Fab Says: Don't ride with me - I flip stuff like RZRs and myself over the bars...

2. Collapse Details
    ask bajatex about the lights, as he is actually the designer or design team that designes the products from baja design....also ask hoser about the oddy box, he is the grand master at pilotodyssey.com, and surely he can answer that question, as for 10:1 i dont think you will be happy with that gear ratio, and there will be so much torque on the final gear, poofkaboom, i may be wrong but...... bullnerd was just asking kfab about a rpm box, dan roberto look into that, stay way away from transworks mini diff, also check out jeffco, but have a fat wallet because revers does not come cheap, set it up with a direct chain drive and or jackshaft and put a large ring gear and electric starter for reverse, do some checking around the sight you will find the answers to almost any question you want to ask.... 8)

welcome to the sight by the way...

3. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    The old 350 gearbox will NOT hold up. Not a chance.

The Pilot tranny is good for about 110 - 115 hp and then you start having issues with the slipper clutch. You can increase the spring preload in the slipper clutch and get closer to 125 hp or so, but then it's touch and go.

You need to get an RPM Transmission - Dan Roberto is the only one making the RPM box. He's been doing it since the mid 80s, from what I understand.

You can purchase directly from him, if you can find his contact info - he has no web site, just a phone number - or you can purchase one from [url=http://www.atvracing1.com:3fexn2hq]ATV Racing[/url:3fexn2hq] or [url=http://www.desertdogoffroad.com:3fexn2hq]Desert Dog Off Road[/url:3fexn2hq] too.

You can get ratios from 11:1 down to 4.6:1

Box runs in the $2K+ range

4. Collapse Details
    oh yeah, kfab is a old pilot guy as well, so he knows to, like he said and i thought, poofkaboom...... 8)

5. Collapse Details
    This thing sounds sweet ,how about some pics.
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

6. Collapse Details
    I hope your not planning on laying the shocks down like the older Melliniums. They never really handled all that well. Josh Wadell even tried moving the mounting positions which helped. The newer cars have the front shocks much more upright but the rears are still kinda far down.

7. Collapse Details
    Wow. quick responses!!!!! Thanks for the welcome. Unfortunately I do not have any picks since we are still in the design phase. Most of the design stuff is "top secret" as well . It is my brother's decision and I am going to respect that. :roll:. The shock placement is nothing like the millenium chassis. The shock rate is so progressive on the millenium that tuning is an absolute nightmare. The shocks are as upright as possible with the shock 89 degrees to the arm at full bump. The car will be set up with 10" bump 10" droop with the ride height having 14-15" of ground clearance (remember it is a desert car). What I was refering to with the millenium chassis was the chassis shape. It will have sidepods that will have a built in cooler on one side and a storage compartment for parts, tools, etc. on the other. Our typical riding group has 6-10 people, all on bikes, so having a "fast support vehicle" packed with supplies is going to be great. The gearbox definately is a bummer. I probably missed it but does anyone rebuild these to handle more power/abuse? I think I got Dan Roberto's number from Desert Karts. All of the rear suspension and chassis geometry has been designed to accomodate the Odessy gearbox dimensions. This project is on a tight budget so $2K+ plus 930's plus axles is going to be a real stretch. The lazer cutting alone is going to be close to a grand. The origional plan was to run this with a chain drive to the 350 gearbox until I could get something better. I might be able to get my hands on an old Comet gearbox if I can finally convince my friend to give up his "Iper" project. Are those gearboxes any good? He already has one that works and the the other one is in such disrepair that it will never get back together. If I can't afford a better one I might just run the odessy gearbox and see what happens. After all it will be a Heck of a lot easier to convince my wife about $2k after it has blown up!!! I think a gearbox with a flange to flange distance of 8-9" would probably work with what we already have designed. The plunge in the CV's would take care of the rest. In regards to the lights I talked to baja designs. They wanted around 600 a HID if I recall correctly. I might just buy a HID conversion kit on ebay for some Hella 1000's if the stator can't handle 100w halogens. I'm also planning on running a full size battery up front to help with the lights but mostly to offset the unsprung weight of 15" rims and 30" tires. Thanks for all of the replies.
    Over complicating mini buggies since 2005

Certified lazy fabricating laser junkie

K-Fab Says: Don't ride with me - I flip stuff like RZRs and myself over the bars...

8. Collapse Details
    Seems we are all on a tight budget, oh except one guy, anyway build what you can afford and dont try to do it all at once, i can almost guarantee, building from your own design, 6 mo minimum to fire it up, and what is top secret, the drawings, dont give dimensions, you said it looke very similar to a chenoworth, dont you think they wanted there stuff non copied either....post some cad photos..... 8)

9. Collapse Details
    Re: Honda Odessy gearbox.
    We used a jackshaft with a starter motor and flexplate for our reverse on our CBR powered rhino.....it works well (we were on a VERY tight budget!) and while it won't power out of steep angled situations, it's still a HUGE help if you wind up having to push it......fine for backing up on the track, in the dunes, or out of/into garage and trailers.......

10. Collapse Details
    Re: Honda Odessy gearbox.
    In regards to your electric reverse , what is gear ratio of starter gear to flex plate teeth,and any other reduction between starter and wheels.Also what size wheels , thanks, i'm checking out all i find out about. *Boilermaker

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast