Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Electric Reverse
    Hey guys,

Im looking at adding an electric reverse to my single seater. What starters have people used and ring gears to suit (flex plate).

I like the way yoshi has his setup, anyone know what starter he has used?

Thanks

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Electric Reverse
    Quote Originally Posted by gordy
    Hey guys,

Im looking at adding an electric reverse to my single seater. What starters have people used and ring gears to suit (flex plate).

I like the way yoshi has his setup, anyone know what starter he has used?

Thanks
    Gear reduction starter for a chrysler and a 14 inch diameter flywheel wheel off a chevy with the same teeth. I can give you the Oreilly part numbers if you wish........
    www.SinisterSandSports.com
    918-521-3736
    Yes, i'm on facebook clicky clicky.................

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks yoshi, Im in Australia so part numbers arent much use, but there might be other (US based) people who have use for them?

Can you tell me how does it perform torque wise? has it ever failed?

What sort of crysler (V8 or V6) Im guessing the stater is probably something around 1.5Kw.

Thanks for your help.

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks yoshi, Im in Australia so part numbers arent much use, but there might be other (US based) people who have use for them?

Can you tell me how does it perform torque wise? has it ever failed?

What sort of crysler (V8 or V6) Im guessing the stater is probably something around 1.5Kw.

Thanks for your help.
    I don't know all the specifics. I bought it 2 years ago. I know that chryslers have high compresion motors so the gear reduction starter they use has to be strong. I'm sure any decent gear reduction starter will work fine for your application. The place I bought mine has a lifetime warranty so if it ever fails I can trade it in for another one, free of charge. I haven't had any problems in 2 years. I would reccomend a better gear ratio than 6:1 though, It worked good but I could tell it was stressing it when I used it. It also drives pretty quick in reverse so another ratio would slow the speed down as well as put less strress on the motor. If you don't have the room for a bigger flywheel, run a jackshaft system so you can get the correct ratio. It is very cheap to build and very effective...
    918-521-3736

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks yoshi, thats really helpfull.

Apparently diesel starters are a little slower than petrol and they are already high compression so im going to give that a go.

If it doesnt work out i'll try the jackshaft idea, but that would take a bit of work sourcing parts for that in australia.

Thanks for your advice.

6. Collapse Details
    Thanks yoshi, thats really helpfull.

Apparently diesel starters are a little slower than petrol and they are already high compression so im going to give that a go.

If it doesnt work out i'll try the jackshaft idea, but that would take a bit of work sourcing parts for that in australia.

Thanks for your advice.
    The jackshaft is just 2 bearing carriers instead of one, it wouldn't be hard to build at all. You can get 5 to 7 inches more travel with a jackshaft as well.....
    918-521-3736

7. Collapse Details
    I'ld like to see this set-up.

Seems to me it would be a great set-up.

For the times I use reverse, it would be all I would need.

8. Collapse Details
    I would recommend a starter from a relatively new European diesel car - Peugeot, Citroen, Golf (Rabbit in the US) or similar. They're well engineered and light weight.

I'm currently thinking along these lines for a reverse for my own buggies, but I'm unsure of availability of these cars in the US. Can anyone over there comment on the popularity of these models?

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorty
    I would recommend a starter from a relatively new European diesel car - Peugeot, Citroen, Golf (Rabbit in the US) or similar. They're well engineered and light weight.

I'm currently thinking along these lines for a reverse for my own buggies, but I'm unsure of availability of these cars in the US. Can anyone over there comment on the popularity of these models?
    Lighter isn't necessarly better, you need a starter that is use to turning over motors with alot of compression otherwise you will burn it up. A gear reduction starter is a must, they usually aren't to big either....
    918-521-3736

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshi
    Lighter isn't necessarly better, you need a starter that is use to turning over motors with alot of compression otherwise you will burn it up.
    That's why I suggested a starter from a diesel car. Modern diesels have very high compression and the Europeans are well up with the technology.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast