Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Well, I have been watching and posting on another thread. One thing people are doing is using the Subaru rear differential called the r160 and r180, and even another off the 300zx.

What you do is custom adapt a sprocket to the front of the diff for the input, and then turn your motor 90* inside the engine bay, and extend your sprocket output so that you can run a short chain towards the center of the car where the sprocket now sits on your diff.

You can get the parts to do it from http://www.belmorerail.com/pages/1/index.htm

They also have a REALLY cheap reverse setup as long as you have a subaru rearend. The subaru rear can be had for $100-200 anywhere, and is limited slip in most cases.

Notice that site belmorerail also has other diff options. One is $1500 and another is like $4k. That one lets you keep your engine mounted trasverse.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by headinclouds
    Well, I have been watching and posting on another thread. One thing people are doing is using the Subaru rear differential called the r160 and r180, and even another off the 300zx.

What you do is custom adapt a sprocket to the front of the diff for the input, and then turn your motor 90* inside the engine bay, and extend your sprocket output so that you can run a short chain towards the center of the car where the sprocket now sits on your diff.

You can get the parts to do it from http://www.belmorerail.com/pages/1/index.htm

They also have a REALLY cheap reverse setup as long as you have a subaru rearend. The subaru rear can be had for $100-200 anywhere, and is limited slip in most cases.

Notice that site belmorerail also has other diff options. One is $1500 and another is like $4k. That one lets you keep your engine mounted trasverse.

Short chains aren't really good. They get hot quick. Chains are actually pretty effeciant. If you can run a longer chain it will have more air to cool it off.
    www.SinisterSandSports.com
    918-521-3736
    Yes, i'm on facebook clicky clicky.................

3. Collapse Details
    i have toyed with the diff idea, but every1 here has talked me out, now i would only diff to get reverse.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bugpac
    i have toyed with the diff idea, but every1 here has talked me out, now i would only diff to get reverse.
    you don't need diff to get reverse I have reverse on my single seater,..no diff...
    www.SinisterSandSports.com
    918-521-3736
    Yes, i'm on facebook clicky clicky.................

5. Collapse Details
    I want a diff beacuse its not going to cost much more than a live axle, and I think it will be much nicer.

$100 r160
    $249 for sprocket extender kit
    $$$ Other things to custom make my own outputshafts and CVs.

Not sure why people do live axle all the time.

Yoshi, you dont suppose I can make a cryocooler for my chain?

how bout spray some nitrous on it, haha.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshi
    Quote Originally Posted by bugpac
    you don't need diff to get reverse I have reverse on my single seater,..no diff...
    i dont want the electric starter setup myself.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by headinclouds
    I want a diff beacuse its not going to cost much more than a live axle, and I think it will be much nicer.

$100 r160
    $249 for sprocket extender kit
    $$$ Other things to custom make my own outputshafts and CVs.

Not sure why people do live axle all the time.

Yoshi, you dont suppose I can make a cryocooler for my chain?

how bout spray some nitrous on it, haha.
    if you build your own live axle 350-400 easy.

8. Collapse Details
    yeah so it seems like this suby diff is a great idea, no?

9. Collapse Details
    its a good idea, yes, but dont think it will be any cheaper. well it could be, if you built your own sprocket extender, and if you have someone to do machine work cheap, thats the biggest expense and it adds up quick.

10. Collapse Details
    it might be the same price, but i think having tunring brakes, and an actual diff is going to be 10 times better.

Its like paying for an ugly hooker, and getting a hot one.

Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast