Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
Results 61 to 68 of 68
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Inadequate cv axles?
    #61
    Senior Member darwinpayne2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    Posts
    767
    Default
    Output sprockets for the Polaris gearbox are ubiquitous on Ebay, from 11 tooth to 14 tooth. Just search for Polaris front sprocket 11 tooth (or whatever) and you'll find them.

    The Polaris gearboxes also come in two flavors. The TrailBoss, Trailblazer and Sport gearboxes are F-N-R. The 2x4 and 4x4 gearboxes are L-H-N-R (Low/High). The 2x4 gearboxes don't have the FWD shaft and are cheaper than the 4x4 gearboxes. In fact, the last gearbox I bought was a 2x4 and it was cheaper than the simpler F-N-R gearbox.

    I think the internal gear ratio is roughly 2:1 on the High gearing,but I'll need to verify.

    I haven't looked at options for the internal shaft, other than the Polaris CVT, but I would have to think that the splined shaft is somehow standard.
    Last edited by darwinpayne2000; 09-05-2019 at 11:13 PM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    Re: Inadequate cv axles?
    #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Upper Peninsula, MI
    Posts
    235
    Default
    Sorry if I mislead any of you, when I meant front and rear sprockets I was referring to rear as on the axle and front as on the output of the gearbox. I am still running the secondary CVT clutch on the input of the gearbox as my engine happens to be from a snowmobile so it also has a Polaris primary CVT clutch. Sorry for any confusion.

    So you are looking to have the gearbox have a sprocket on both the input and the output? That may take some more fabrication. I'm sure it could be done, but I am not sure if a current sprocket exists that would fit in place of the secondary clutch.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    Re: Inadequate cv axles?
    #63
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    80
    Default
    I was thinking it was both input and output. If it is only CVT input, I guess I'll be looking for suitable engines for it. It doesn't put a hamper on it, I have been debating for a while what to use for a powerplant anyway, so at least this will get me in the right direction.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    Re: Inadequate cv axles?
    #64
    Member 67StingrayJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Las Cruces, NM
    Posts
    77
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by darwinpayne2000 View Post
    Output sprockets for the Polaris gearbox are ubiquitous on Ebay, from 11 tooth to 14 tooth. Just search for Polaris front sprocket 11 tooth (or whatever) and you'll find them.
    We all know about the output on the FNR, the trouble is the Input.


    Quote Originally Posted by darwinpayne2000 View Post
    I haven't looked at options for the internal shaft, other than the Polaris CVT, but I would have to think that the splined shaft is somehow standard.
    No quite,.. it's standard for Polaris but proprietary to them. It's not like you can look it up in a book, find out what the spline count, pressure angle and diameter, then find a coupling for it online anywhere. At least not that I can find.



    Quote Originally Posted by 65chedderbob View Post
    Sorry if I mislead any of you, when I meant front and rear sprockets I was referring to rear as on the axle and front as on the output of the gearbox. I am still running the secondary CVT clutch on the input of the gearbox as my engine happens to be from a snowmobile so it also has a Polaris primary CVT clutch. Sorry for any confusion.

    So you are looking to have the gearbox have a sprocket on both the input and the output? That may take some more fabrication. I'm sure it could be done, but I am not sure if a current sprocket exists that would fit in place of the secondary clutch.
    Ideally, I could swap the Polaris CVT out for my 40 series CVT but the input shaft on the FNR doesn't mesh to a 40 series. My 40 series has a 5/8" bore with a 3/16" key-way. I'd accept any reasonable means of getting that 40 Series mounted the the FNR short of paying an arm and a leg.
    HARD WORK PAY$
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    Re: Inadequate cv axles?
    #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Upper Peninsula, MI
    Posts
    235
    Default
    Is the shaft on the gearbox large enough in diameter to machine down the splines and add a keyway? If not, you could do something funky like machine it smaller and add a keyway then make an adapter that fits over the shaft and inside the 40 series, just an idea that may or may not work
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    Re: Inadequate cv axles?
    #66
    Senior Member Jerm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    564
    Default
    Hey sorry for the late reply on this, had a busy summer away from this site. Have you found a sled engine yet? I use a 500cc phazer engine, liquid cooled. I used the bulkheads from the sled including gear reduction chaincase, it has reverse and gear reduction built in. It is literally the engine and side bulkhead castings all as one assembly, bolted to the back of my buggy, then I hooked up a chain from the final drive. It works well and very little custom work was needed on the drivetrain.
    I looked into using the polaris stuff prior to buying the phazer, it is a lot of custom work.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    Re: Inadequate cv axles?
    #67
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    80
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerm View Post
    Hey sorry for the late reply on this, had a busy summer away from this site. Have you found a sled engine yet? I use a 500cc phazer engine, liquid cooled. I used the bulkheads from the sled including gear reduction chaincase, it has reverse and gear reduction built in. It is literally the engine and side bulkhead castings all as one assembly, bolted to the back of my buggy, then I hooked up a chain from the final drive. It works well and very little custom work was needed on the drivetrain.
    I looked into using the polaris stuff prior to buying the phazer, it is a lot of custom work.
    Still haven't found anything yet. Granted I live in an apartment so I have limited space to store stuff. I have looked into a Phazer and its definitely an option. However most Phazers I find are circa 1980s. Once I'm in a house, I'll have more options to look for engines.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    Re: Inadequate cv axles?
    #68
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    80
    Default
    Hey Jerm, could you tell me some dimensions of the Phazer engine? I'd like to know the width of the engine with the driver pulley, the length out to the driven pulley and how tall the engine is. I'm wanting to draw a scale model so I can make an accurate lay out of my build on paper, so I have at least a heads up of what I'm looking at. If I go the Phazer route, do you think using a Honda Civic radiator is large enough to keep it cool? I may run a water temp gauge with a warning light to come on if the temp gets too high and I need to stop. Thinking using just one electric fan to pull air off the radiator.
    Reply With Quote
     

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Similar Threads

  1. U-Joint Spline axles (drive axles)
    By stress in forum Axles, Stub Axles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-01-2015, 06:34 PM
  2. VW Axles and matching hubs or similar stock axles
    By Little Bandit in forum Driveline
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-10-2009, 07:41 PM
  3. Need Help With Axles
    By millfab313 in forum Driveline
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-05-2009, 02:41 PM
  4. Where to buy these axles?
    By Antony250R in forum Driveline
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-01-2009, 02:10 PM
  5. Axles
    By boostinjdm in forum Driveline
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 08-09-2008, 07:01 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •