Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Inadequate cv axles?
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    The Polaris gearboxes have a splined shaft for both input and output. The factory sprockets are 520 with 11-14 teeth, depending on the application.

2. Collapse Details
    Are the splined sprockets easy to come by or am I going to have to outsource that to a machine shop?

3. Collapse Details
    Hey, pretty sure that's the same gearbox that's in my mini buggy sitting at my camp. We got it off of a parts trail boss my friend had (the whole back half of my buggy is from the trail boss actually). I know I got a replacement for both the front and rear sprockets because the bolt holding the front sprocket came zinging off once as I was coming down the road and I conveniently coasted into the driveway with no engine power to the ground (or rear brakes because those are on the gearbox not the axle, not the best design in my opinion but it does help to hold the secondary clutch still when shifting out of neutral). So with the front sprocket missing somewhere in the ditch, we ordered a new one and decided to order a smaller rear sprockets while we were at it.

So yes, you can get sprockets for it if you need them

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by 65chedderbob View Post
    Hey, pretty sure that's the same gearbox that's in my mini buggy sitting at my camp. We got it off of a parts trail boss my friend had (the whole back half of my buggy is from the trail boss actually). I know I got a replacement for both the front and rear sprockets because the bolt holding the front sprocket came zinging off once as I was coming down the road and I conveniently coasted into the driveway with no engine power to the ground (or rear brakes because those are on the gearbox not the axle, not the best design in my opinion but it does help to hold the secondary clutch still when shifting out of neutral). So with the front sprocket missing somewhere in the ditch, we ordered a new one and decided to order a smaller rear sprockets while we were at it.

ChedderBob,
    Take some photos of your ride next time you can. A lot of us are wanting to do something like this but we're reluctant for fear of finding parts. Any idea what you ended up purchasing and from where? Any help would be much appreciated.
    HARD WORK PAY$

5. Collapse Details

What kind of ratio is the box? Stock sprockets on the outside are 12 input and like 13 output with like a 38 on the axle. I was planning on running the smallest I can find on the engine, then a 15 on the input, 12 on the output and then a 50 tooth on the spool. I'm not looking for speed (40mph tops, maybe 45), just need the lower end grunt for trails. These boxes are high/low with reverse correct or is it just a forward/reverse gearbox? If that's the case, I'm still for it just for the reverse gear.

6. Collapse Details
    I'm not sure the next time I'll be back to camp as I just got back to college, but I can try to get more info when possible. Mine came with a CVT clutch on the front and has high low neutral reverse which all worked perfectly as I'm also running a Polaris 440 snowmobile engine. With stock gearing in high gear it did about 65mph with the trail 440 engine, not sure if that helps you or not (the entire back end of my buggy is the trail boss frame, from the gearbox all the way to the swing arm and axle).

As for parts availability, I can check but I'm pretty sure I got new sprockets from Amazon at the time, but it was quite a while ago so I'll double check my order history and get back to you on that.

EDIT: So I'm seeing the rear sprocket on my Amazon history from a few years back, but not the front sprocket. I'll keep looking when I can to see if I can find where I got it from.

7. Collapse Details

EDIT: So I'm seeing the rear sprocket on my Amazon history from a few years back, but not the front sprocket. I'll keep looking when I can to see if I can find where I got it from.

That's the problem I think all of us have been having is finding something that can go on the front. I believe this is where the CVT normally would a connect. All of us want to swap out that CVT with a sprocket, something you said you were able to do successfully. Man that would be great if you could find out what you have on the front of your gearbox. This would solve a lot of issues a lot of us are having so keep looking. The mini buggy community is relying on you so no pressure, hehe.

Do you have any photos of your buggy anywhere?
    HARD WORK PAY$

8. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    All of us want to swap out that CVT with a sprocket
    No, no we don't... (said by the die hard CVT guy)

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by K-fab View Post
    No, no we don't... (said by the die hard CVT guy)
    Hey, I'm a fan of the CVT as well. We just don't want to use the CVT that comes from Polaris. Now, if someone came up with a way to mount, say a 40 series CVT on the Polaris gearbox, that guy would make some serious $$$. Challenge anyone???

The problem I have been having is finding someone who can give me accurate measurements of the spline that comes on this reverse gearbox we all want to use. If I could get that I could look for a coupling I could modify. Best I have gotten was 'purchase the CVT, cut out the splines and weld your sprocket on to it'.
    HARD WORK PAY$

10. Collapse Details
    Whoops my bad, reread what you said. I'm sure you could have a machine shop make an adapter to mate the 40 to a gearbox. Just wish we had more options for these things other than ATV boxes and RPM.
    Last edited by JagerDanger; 09-05-2019 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Misread comment

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast