Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Inadequate cv axles?
    Same thing with this guy: https://lincoln.craigslist.org/mcy/d...958977780.html

Of course I'd be pretty leery of the bike because there's not as much eBay fodder on it, but for what he's asking there's not a tremendous amount of risk.

2. Collapse Details
    So basically my intentions for the buggy are woods trail riding, frozen lakes (if I go up to Minnesota during the winter for visits), I'm not into racing. Ideally I wanted to build it to be within similar size to the Honda Odyssey FL350 and the Pilot FL400 (61" wide 85" long). I want to keep it small enough for the trails here in Nebraska and Minnesota. Plus Nebraska has a max width limit of 74" for UTVs and a fairly large max weight of 2000lbs.

I'm hoping I can still achieve most of that with the CV axles, but I have to buy the wheels, tires, and hubs to see where I'm at. I was hoping to do a 4on4 or some other common bolt pattern at all 4 corners and similar tire size (width and height wise) so I can have a spare on hand just incase.

3. Collapse Details
    If you're still considering sled motors you'll need to get some input about them...but as far as bike lumps go:

Then I would still look specifically for twins...like a Suzuki SV650 or Hyosung GT650, 500 and 650cc Ninjas, stuff like that. The 600cc supersports are great motors but you have to really wind them out to get the power down. 1000cc I4's have plenty of power but on a small buggy it's going to be wild. 50hp can do A LOT. I had 100hp in my GK13 and it was right at the edge of too much...if I were to do it again I'd look more for 60~80hp.

You can make pretty much any axle work if you're building the suspension around said axle. You're more likely going to be limited by travel than anything else, but really for an all purpose trail buggy travel isn't going to be a problem.

4. Collapse Details
    So it's my understanding, crotch rocket type bike engines like to be cruised at around 7,000 to 9,000rpm. If I ran a 14 to a 60 tooth and 24" tires that would let me cruise at 45mph-58mph with a top speed of 84mph. That's freakin fast, probably faster than what I'm willing to go, even in a wide open area. I trust my welding skills, but I'm not crazy.

For a bit I had considered the Lifan 200cc 5 speed, 16hp bike engine. But those end up having CDI issues like crazy.

I have some lights already, 2 36w flood lights. Getting at least a single brake light and possibly turn signals (in case I need to run down a road to get to another trail).

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JagerDanger View Post
    So it's my understanding, crotch rocket type bike engines like to be cruised at around 7,000 to 9,000rpm. If I ran a 14 to a 60 tooth and 24" tires that would let me cruise at 45mph-58mph with a top speed of 84mph. That's freakin fast, probably faster than what I'm willing to go, even in a wide open area. I trust my welding skills, but I'm not crazy.
    That varies wildly. A lot of the v-twins top out just over 10k. I4's are the ones with broad rev ranges, and the 600cc supersports are the ones that you really have to wind out. For what you're doing I would suggest something more like the 500 or 650 Ninja motors...the 500's are great motors that were made for nearly three decades. Parts are super plentiful, aftermarket is wild, and the bikes are cheap (my last one I bought doe $200). If you're looking for versatility...the ability to cruise at whatever speed you want AND have the ability to wind it out if you want to: 1000cc v-twins. Something like the TL1000S, SV1000, Superhawk, etc. I loved my TL because I had 40lbs of torque pretty much on tap anywhere in the rev range. But I think for what you're doing that 500cc Ninja twin would be a great idea.

For a bit I had considered the Lifan 200cc 5 speed, 16hp bike engine. But those end up having CDI issues like crazy.
    Also a fantastic engine. The CDI's do go bad, but for $10 a pop on eBay it's easy to have a spare. Manna on buggynews used this engine in an awesome little buggy: https://www.buggynews.com/manna-s-ra...ld-t27547.html

For a lightweight single seater it's a GREAT engine.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by makenzie71 View Post
    That varies wildly. A lot of the v-twins top out just over 10k. I4's are the ones with broad rev ranges, and the 600cc supersports are the ones that you really have to wind out. For what you're doing I would suggest something more like the 500 or 650 Ninja motors...the 500's are great motors that were made for nearly three decades. Parts are super plentiful, aftermarket is wild, and the bikes are cheap (my last one I bought doe $200). If you're looking for versatility...the ability to cruise at whatever speed you want AND have the ability to wind it out if you want to: 1000cc v-twins. Something like the TL1000S, SV1000, Superhawk, etc. I loved my TL because I had 40lbs of torque pretty much on tap anywhere in the rev range. But I think for what you're doing that 500cc Ninja twin would be a great idea.

Also a fantastic engine. The CDI's do go bad, but for $10 a pop on eBay it's easy to have a spare. Manna on buggynews used this engine in an awesome little buggy: https://www.buggynews.com/manna-s-ra...ld-t27547.html

For a lightweight single seater it's a GREAT engine.
    Are there ways to increase the stator/alternator/charging coil on bike engines so you are not relying on a large batter? With my existing lights I'll be at close to 6amps with them on, then an extra 2amp tops for the brake/tail light and maybe an extra 7.5amp for an electric fan.

7. Collapse Details
    Bigger stators, but I've never had an issue with power. Most bikes have about 175~250 watts you can play with. If you're running LED lighting you'll probably never had to consider power draw. Only time that'll be a problem is if you're running a large winch or something and then there's just no getting away from a large battery capable of delivering the amperage needed.

8. Collapse Details
    For sled motors, as I stated before I've ran a 90s Ski Doo Safari 440 fan cooled motor as well as an early 2000s Polaris Trail 440 fanner and they have both done just fine in 80+ degree heat before. They push my buggy up to 70mph when the CVT belt doesn't have a bunch of slack in it like it currently does (I need to shim the motor up a bit) and it weighs over 600lbs. If you want more power I'd think anywhere from a 500cc to a 700cc would give you plenty of snot if you can keep it cool. I've seen multiple oddyseys with those size motors in them before, but can't vouch for their performance or longevity personally.

9. Collapse Details
    I guess I'll keep an eye out for a bike engine between 300 and 600cc and go from there. I was planning on running around a 700CCA battery so I can have a 2500lb winch just incase I need to pull out of a nasty spot.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll still continue to order up the small parts, my ball joint tie rod ends came yesterday (a day late from Amazon) so I have 4 of those, will order 2 more for the rack and pinion side, then order up 8 more heim joints. Then look around for used RZR shocks.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5