Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Inadequate cv axles?
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Cool - Blind Chicken Racing's site is still up. ---> CV Joints 101 <--- click here

That will give you all the info you need on CV joints.

The Type 1 have 12 degrees of articulation from center, so that's a sweep of 24 degrees. Do a little trig (or cheat and do it on ACAD like I just did) and a 16" axle can sweep a distance of 6.6532" There's your non-binding travel number.

Quote Originally Posted by JagerDanger View Post
    Thank you. How is wheel travel calculated exactly, is it how many inches upward and downward added up or is it like 8 inches up and 8 inches down?
    Travel is what the suspension will allow and keep things within design parameters. - example would be I have an extra 2" of droop available in the front of my present project but when I get into that zone the wheels toe out incredibly so I have to strap out the last 2" of travel.

As a 'general rule' you want the car to sit at ride height about 1/3 the way into the suspension's available movement.

This means it's 1/3 the upward motion available (bump, which is usually limited by the chassis hitting the ground) and 2/3rds the downward motion available (droop, which is usually limited by binding in the pivot points) that makes up travel.

You'll want to find springs that let your chassis, with you sitting in it, drop about 2" from topped out.
    Last edited by K-fab; 07-25-2019 at 04:44 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by K-fab View Post
    Cool - Blind Chicken Racing's site is still up. ---> CV Joints 101 <--- click here

That will give you all the info you need on CV joints.

The Type 1 have 12 degrees of articulation from center, so that's a sweep of 24 degrees. Do a little trig (or cheat and do it on ACAD like I just did) and a 16" axle can sweep a distance of 6.6532" There's your non-binding travel number.

Travel is what the suspension will allow and keep things within design parameters. - example would be I have an extra 2" of droop available in the front of my present project but when I get into that zone the wheels toe out incredibly so I have to strap out the last 2" of travel.

As a 'general rule' you want the car to sit at ride height about 1/3 the way into the suspension's available movement.

This means it's 1/3 the upward motion available (bump, which is usually limited by the chassis hitting the ground) and 2/3rds the downward motion available (droop, which is usually limited by binding in the pivot points) that makes up travel.

You'll want to find springs that let your chassis, with you sitting in it, drop about 2" from topped out.
    That website was the reason why I asked if the type 1 axles I have are inadequate. But I'm glad that they will work just fine for my needs. Trig is beyond my scope and I occasionally use free CAD (too cheap for the real stuff), however I do most of my drawing on graph paper.

3. Collapse Details
    So after having my CV axles boxed up from my move, I took them out and laid them close to side by side with my tape measure. Giving room for I'm thinking at most 10" wide tires, sprocket, brake disc/rotor it had an overall width of close to 60".

So it's about 20" wider than I was hoping. In Nebraska, there is a width allowance of no matter of 74" and can be no longer than 180". I'll be heading to the DMV in the coming days to get some stuff done so I'll ask what they require for homemade UTVs. Hopefully nothing more than an inspection.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JagerDanger View Post
    That website was the reason why I asked if the type 1 axles I have are inadequate. But I'm glad that they will work just fine for my needs. Trig is beyond my scope and I occasionally use free CAD (too cheap for the real stuff), however I do most of my drawing on graph paper.
    You can get AutoCAD for free for 5 years if your a student anywhere. Heck, signing up for a community college class for a couple hundred bucks just to get the university email address they use to verify your student is worth the money. Or maybe y’all got kids in college. I know when mine expires I’ll use my wife’s to renew subscriptions.

5. Collapse Details
    I got freecad on my laptop, however I'm not very good at using it and most tutorials are in German and I know next to none to use it. Back in 2011/12 when I was in school for welding, I thought about buying the $100 student edition of CAD but decided not to get.

6. Collapse Details
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    This may be somewhat heretical since CV axles were given by God to Moses on Mount Sinai, but what about a dual-chain setup? My buggy used to fit through those gates that restricted off-road vehicles to a 50" width. I put bigger tires on it two years ago, but it's still only 54". A dual-chain setup allows you to make your buggy whatever width you want.

7. Collapse Details
    Is that a comment or a question?

8. Collapse Details
    I've looked at doing a double chain setup, however, I would rather not have to worry about the sprockets getting caught on debris while rolling on the trails. I do have a Yamaha Blaster and I have hit the chain on the sprocket a few times on rocks, so I didn't want to have that worry. Plus there are less parts that need to be replaced vs doing double chain like that. I had given it a lot of thought before I bought the CV axles to run that setup, but I figured this way would give me a result with less headaches.

I guess I'll know more when I get to building it. I already know that I'm going to contact a machine shop or local tech school to cut out CV hubs to run on the spool and to the wheels. Going to use pillow block bearings on the trailing arms and I have 1" flangette bearings that'll support the spool.

I'm going to use a 60 tooth sprocket on the spool for optimal torque and lower speeds, while keeping engine speeds high. I'm pretty sure I'll use a watercooled Ninja 250R engine, I just can't see using an air cooled Rebel 250 engine without a lot of issues with over heating. I've looked for oil cooler kits, but people do not recommend them on the bikes and they tend not to be forthcoming when you say it's going on a homemade mini buggy.

I'm not too worried about the size. I'm sure I once I get started on building, I can make adjustments to the spool size to make it so the width is less than the 60" I'm thinking it'll be. Since I'll be towing this around with a trailer, I'll need the trailer wide enough not to cause me trouble.

9. Collapse Details
    I was over at the DMV on Friday and I was curious what is needed for a custom/homemade mini buggy for registration here in Nebraska. They gave me the affidavit to do it. Need the receipts for every part used... though kind of hard to when you buy parts over time, it's easy to lose track of those.

10. Collapse Details
    With the dual chain set-up the sprockets are so close to the tires that they don't get much abuse. Not like a quad where it's pretty close to center and nails everything. The main drawback to those is motor location. You either need some tricky chain routing and idlers or put the motor way forward.

The Extreme Baja Karts were pretty popular.

https://www.race-dezert.com/forum/at...991-jpg.30757/

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast