Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: How much power can a 1 1045 shaft handle?
    I had a 1" 1045 jackshaft in my buggy for a while (929rr/~1500 lbs). 16t to 50t iirc, and a 15t to 30t secondary. I couldn't keep keys in it kept shearing them and eventually twisted the shaft. But that was with typical harbor freight junk, if you used good stuff it could probably be finessed into lasting. I ended up slipping a pipe over the shaft and welding the hubs together, that solved it.

I do think a Metro trans seems a little anemic for that motor though, considering the cars they came out of had something like 50hp. Why not use the Prelude trans? Input is on the right side and should be a lot beefier. Mine is holding up well so far

2. Collapse Details
    Got any pictures of how yours is setup?

I'm using the Metro trans for a few reasons:

1. It's very light and compact
    2. Parts are very cheap and readily available
    3. It's almost a direct swap for the F8C-equipped 4-speed transmission that came in the buggy
    4. The axles will swap right over
    5. I gots one.

Suzuki used the same transmission in cars that had closer to 100lbs of torque and revved a lot higher, and I'm by no means a racer. I'm not going to be in sand or anything, most of my riding is caliche county roads, the occasional caliche pit, and some light rock climbing every fifteen to thirty years. I'm hoping that keeping the ratio closer to 1:1 will reduce the strain on the jackshaft, but I'm also trying to plan it with the jackshaft being the weak link. My design is going to have it in a cradle that'll allow me to slide it around to set chain tension in the transmission, then the engine will be in another cradle that will slide on the same rails to set chain tension with the jackshaft. I'm making the whole assembly where I can remove the jackshaft and bearings quickly and easily, and I'm building two sets. If it works right, should the thing fail in the field, I can slap the backup on in fifteen minutes and limp back home to re-evaluate.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by plkracer View Post
    At least go for a piece of 1144. Already in the strengthened condition, and it is intended for shafting.

So you are 16-34-16 gear ratio in the end? (1:1) the shaft will see double the torque of the counter shaft, which would be fine, given you keep it in 5th, and keep the overhang from the bearings low.

I was able to twist heat treated 1045, 1-3/8 diameter with my gsxr750, which was 13t-60t.
    I agree that a piece of 1144 would be a good choice and a piece of 4340 heat treated would be best.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2