Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Any Volkswagen aficionados?
    930 flanges to a VW trans is easy, actually the easiest way to go. There are flanges available for T1, 002, 091, 094. I would stay away from swing axle with GRB's unless you want to make a no hop kit for them. Otherwise the torque reaction is pretty severe.

VW motor and carb? No thanks. Unless you have a gas station with no-ethanol fuel you will hate that carb. While the aftermarket for VW's is large, there is a reason for that. They blow up regularly and require lots of parts........

2. Collapse Details
    I briefly owned a joyner buggy with the same stock motor/ trans combo as the roketa, which had been replaced with a metro engine and 5 speed transmission which had a 4.39 final drive, believe it was from a 98 3cyl metro. Would that work for your car? It was pretty decent in the joyner, which was on 28's. The gears were relatively short besides 4-5 being spaced pretty far.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by darwinpayne2000 View Post
    "I'm hoping to be be able to machine sleeves and just weld the VW axles to my existing roketa axles, in case that has an effect on what I'm hunting."

I think the idea of sleeving the axles has been tried and didn't hold up. However, I would like someone else with personal experience to chime in and confirm/deny that statement. VW type 1 CV joints have about 9 inches of travel with standard axles. The type 2, especially the modified units sold by Dan's Performance Parts have about 12 - 14 inches of travel (I think). Porsche CV joints are the type most people run on their buggies but I think they have a different spline count, so you would need CV cups that fit on the VW transmission, but use a Porsche CV joint. You would also need to get the Porsche CV axles.

I would tend to agree with your statement/question that VW Beetle transmissions tend to be the same, especially in how they bolt into the car. Maybe pick up a transmission for cheap and rebuild it if it pans out? Especially if you want to adjust the gearing.
    I've seen sleeves work, and also fail...usually the failures are with much higher power engines. My plan is to try and snag a wrecked VW tranny and play with it...see how it all ties together.

4. Collapse Details
    My idea here is to rearrange my engine bay a bit and have some options for lower gearing. Something that occurred to me earlier that I'm going to investigate adapting spockets to the output shafts of my G10's transmission and use them to chain drive a spool. I can get my lower gearing that way, too, shift the motor to the left where I need it, and give me some gearing options.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2