Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Stub Axles?? Bearings??? Need help from someone with experience...
    So I'm hoping to run type 2 CVs on my st2 buggy and type 1 (with a type 2 flange) stub axles. I think that set-up will get me around 10" rear suspension travel which will hopefully be good. Anyway, does anyone know about making the bearing carrier for a stub axle? My plan is to pick up some thick wall tube and bore out the ends to press bearings in. Does this mean I don't need the middle spacer that goes between the two bearings? And do the bearings need circle clips to hold them in laterally (as in the thrust direction).

Basically what I'm trying to make is this

Also if anyone has dimensions of the outer diameter either type one or type 2 stub axles so I can figure out whether they (and their bearings) will fit in the tiny little st2 bearing carriers that would be super helpful.

As i'm writing this i'm already starting to wonder if i should just spend the extra money and go type 4 or 930 for extra travel...

Thanks!!!

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Stub Axles?? Bearings??? Need help from someone with experience...
    Millenium Member
    http://www.pacificcustoms.com/mm5/me...w=&range_high=

Then buy type 1 stub/type 2 cv cup and run it. Can also run that stub w 930 cup for extra travel. Then bearings, wheel hubs, steel, you'll have easy 600-700 just in parts.

3. Collapse Details
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    The Desert Karts buggy design used thick wall tubing that was machined out and then press-fit with bearings. No circlips needed. Most cars now use a press-fit bearing on the front hubs, so it should work.

4. Collapse Details
    Thats perfect. Thanks!!!

5. Collapse Details
    You will need a solid spacer between the bearings so that when you torque down the stub you are not overloading the bearings.

6. Collapse Details
    So my new current plan is to run f150 cv axles with the inners switched out for 930 cvs. It will have a chain drive diff in the center. Here is my question: What diff should I look for that would be able to fit up to 930 cvs with hopefully off the shelf parts? I've heard of people welding custom flanges that fit 930 cvs onto the output shafts of the diff. Has anyone here done either of these things?

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bdkw1 View Post
    You will need a solid spacer between the bearings so that when you torque down the stub you are not overloading the bearings.
    Going back to the first question. As above. Side loading a bearing to torque down the stub axel bolt will 100% end in tears.

Second question. Are you thinking lsd or open? R160 from Nissan would be easy to adapt the flange to your cv's. The r160's run a press fit 40mm bearing on the spool/centre. Easy sprocket attachment after machining.Very common diff.

I'm new to buggy vs cars builds so odds are ignore all I've said after a wiser person on here tells us both a better way. Lol

Edit. 10" sounds good to. Build thread would be my thoughts. Gives us more in site to your build and candy for us to drool over.
    All dressed up and waiting for the beer to arrive.

8. Collapse Details
    Ok FYI just miked some vw stuff for you, the bearing OD is 2.440" ID 1.177" and the stock stub axle 9" overall length. The inside ball bearing bearing is the only one that holds everything laterally it is pressed in to ridge and snap ring holds it there, the outside bearing is a roller bearing that the ID of rollers float on the race. There are 3 spacers and inside bearing race that go on the stub axle.
    It could be doable but might be a little long from cv face to hub face compared to what you have in picture
    Tom

9. Collapse Details
    Just pick up some Dodge Intrepid or Chevy S-10 FRONT wheel bearings, a microstub and bolt up some 930's and be done. SUPER strong and parts are everywhere.

Justin
    Nowhere near the desert.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Deranged View Post
    Just pick up some Dodge Intrepid or Chevy S-10 FRONT wheel bearings, a microstub and bolt up some 930's and be done. SUPER strong and parts are everywhere.

Justin
    Yup. F150 outer CV stub fits right into intrepid hub. Strong, simple, cheap. F150 axle is "standard" 28 spline, same as 930. F150 inner could work also, has 6 bolt flange, $600 for all CV's, axles, and hubs, all new.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast