Thread: Silent Chain

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Silent Chain
    I know this has been discussed here before, what I haven't managed to find though, has anyone found a supplier that will sell blank sprockets and bulk chain/connecting links? I haven't found anything online and my local stores are pretty clueless.

Picked up this for the time being.

Out of a BW1354. I can mayyybbbee make it fit if I get real creative, but 4-1/2" OD and 9.75 ish centers makes it a tight squeeze. I can probably get the trans close enough for center distance but the OD is going to be seriously tight at the motor end. It would be nice to go down to a 20 or 22t sproket and have a chain a few links longer if I could find any

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Silent Chain
    those are sweet, at my work we cast some housings for Borgwarner, I don't have any contacts over at BW yet, but if I get a chance I'll ask and see if they have anything bigger with longer chain.

3. Collapse Details
    Nothing that I've managed to find yet, but it would be interesting to know for sure. I believe the big truck cases run a little more offset, problem is they also run bigger sprockets to reduce the load on the chain. Most newer cases are like that as well. So far the cases with the smallest sprockets I've found are the BW1350/1354 and NP231HD which run 1-1/4" x 1/2" chains with 24t sprockets 62 pins, the NP231J uses a 1" chain instead of the 1-1/4. Most everything else in the 1/4 ton size is using 3/8" pitch chain and sprockets around 34t which definitely won't fit on the front shaft.

Or I get a couple big chunks of aluminum and make a divorced unit. That would solve the front sprocket fitment issues but would require either finding someone to do a bunch of machining for me, or acquiring a boring head and learning how to use a manual mill properly

4. Collapse Details
    Have you tried these guys?

http://www.ramseychain.com/

5. Collapse Details
    Old Oldsmobile Toronado transmission chain?

6. Collapse Details
    Have you checked ...
    http://www.martinsprocket.com/

7. Collapse Details
    Excellent links..bookmarked. Thanks.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JD66 View Post
    Have you tried these guys?

http://www.ramseychain.com/
    Thanks, looks like motion is a dealer so I could probably get it through them if I need to

Quote Originally Posted by deaner View Post
    Old Oldsmobile Toronado transmission chain?
    Monstrous haha. And hard to find (around here anyway).

Anyways, looks like I'm going to go the second route.

The fit at the front is super tight, as expected. I could make it fit with some creativity, but getting a bearing and a seal inboard of that would be difficult. The second and more important problem, after reading the engineering information, is that to prevent the chain from riding on the side links they recommend a maximum shaft misalignment of ~.002"/foot. Since in the current setup I'm using the engine/trans as bearing supports, I'd have to have them alligned to that accuracy. There's just no way I'm getting anywhere near that number.

SO, we go to the divorced unit. The game plan at this point, use two transfer case front output shafts, bearings and seals and machine up a housing for them. Shouldn't be too difficult that way and saves me making shafts and modifying sprockets. More expensive and time consuming than the first option but it's probably better to do it right the first time.

9. Collapse Details
    So, quick update. Haven't really done anything yet but I have all the parts at least.

Ended up grabbing a borg warner 4405 from the junkyard. Went with that one because the front output goes in from the front of the case and is held in with a snap ring, whereas most cases the shaft goes in from the back side and is held in with the yoke and a nut. Using these means I don't have to worry about getting a nut on when I add the output splines to mate to the bike/trans.

Will be using two front output shafts and sprockets. The way I designed the case I have to machine the back side of the shaft slightly shorter, and machine the cv cups off to add the splines. I was trying to keep the parts for this thing as off the shelf as possible just for ease of replacement, but I can package it quite a bit smaller this way and it just fits in the frame nicer. The sprockets will still be easily replaceable though should they ever wear out.

Center distance is ~9.56", about 1.5" shorter than I'm already running. Will have to remount the trans but that shouldn't be too big a deal other than the pain of lining it all up again

The case halfs are with a machinist friend, he's going to run them off when his machine has some down time, then I'll turn the shafts and the outer cups. Once I get the cases back things should start rolling along pretty quick

10. Collapse Details
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    You're having way too much fun!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast