1. Collapse Details
    750cc Motorcycle Powered Buggy Research
    Hey guys, I am new the forums, but I have been directed here through a lot of my research, so I decided I should sign up and start using all the wondeful info here. I want to say thanks in advance, I have already learned so much from everyone here, and I feel confident that I am on a strong track.

Anyways, I have been putting together a bunch of research so I can eventually put together a nice Mini Buggy. I am planning to use a currently available 750cc Honda Motorcycle motor. It is driveshaft driven, but I am wanting to use a chain drive system. It seems simple and cheaper with chain drive. So I have 2 question:

1) Can Chain Drive handle the power output of a 750cc motorcycle?

2) Is the following design feesible?

So, I have an idea to convert to chain drive, but I want to run it against some of you more experienced people. Now, I have found a ton of people wanting to convert driveshaft to a sprocket, and the usual answer is to just purchase a chain driven motor. This idea is a little different and only a theory. Please criticize accordingly, I don't want to put money into a bunk idea.

I am thinking I can mount the motor sideways in the buggy, driveshaft pointing toward driver side, instead of rear. I could fabricate a new driveshaft, adding my sprocket to the shaft. The end of the new driveshaft would be retained in a bearing, with the sprocket between the bearing and the motor. The only thing I can see being an issue, is with quick and high REVs, the motor would want to flex on the mounts causing misalignment of the shaft through the shaft carrier bearing.

I tried to make my idea as clear as possible, but if you have any questions I will try to clear it up. Again, please criticize accordingly and thanks in advance!

Vette117

2. Collapse Details
    Re: 750cc Motorcycle Powered Buggy Research
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Howdy and welcome to MBN.

Your thinking is sound. The issue of misalignment shouldn't be much of a problem and the longer you can make the change the less of an issue it becomes.

You should probably support the output sprocket on both sides and things will be good.

Choose tire diameter first, rims and offsets next and start designing the suspension front the outside in.
    Then build the chassis to hold all of the stuff.

3. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member
    Which model bike? Many of them you can remove the shaft drive setup and put a sprocket back on. Much easier. Otherwise I'd pu a small irs diff from a car and let the shaft drive run to it. There are some power losses thru the shaft drive, and diff setup.

4. Collapse Details
    Pay really close attention to which direction the shafts rotate. You don't want to end up with a buggy that drives in reverse.

5. Collapse Details
    If you are using a shaft drive engine I would first look into a diff that might work, many UTVs use a pumpkin, all do for the front wheels some do even for the rear.
    if you want to go chain drive the easy way, I have a GSXR 750 in the for sale section, your welcome to make an offer, where are you located?

6. Collapse Details
    I thought about using a bearing on each side of the driveshaft sprocket, that wouldn't be an issue.

I have put a little research into small rear diffs, but chain would be a little easier in my application. Thought about using a subaru rear diff.

It's an 88 Honda Magna 750.

I am currently thinking about splicing a Honda 400 EX Front suspension system into my design - A Arms, Spindles, Brakes, Hubs, etc. This way, I only have to design my rear suspension, which is basically done other than location of the motor. Using the 400ex allows me to eventually upgrade to aftermarket parts if I ever want more than stock without all the extra fab. I am also looking out for a 2005 or newer 400ex motor because it has a reverse gear that would be fantastic for my application. ( I live in Iowa, and it is possible to make a street legal vehicle without a lot of restriction. )

I will make sure I mount the Motor the right way for foward operation. I just said pointing toward drivers side to give you guys an idea of my theory, because I haven't determined rotation direction.

Thanks again for all the input! I am getting excited!

7. Collapse Details
    Your idea sounds to be a valid and I'm sure it would work. Anything can work, some ideas require more effort or planning...others just require more money! LOL.

I have a 2006 Honda 400ex engine, with the reverse. Those engines are bulletproof and it has very low miles on it. I Built an EDGE sidewinder buggy, using that engine, and the quad was mint when I stole the engine from it. However...it might be a long shot in making a deal as I am in northern Canada...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Let's see... Shaft driven 750 Honda Magna. Looking at the back of the motor, like you were sitting on the back of the bike, the rotation of the output shaft should be clockwise, as it's on the left side of the powerplant.

To make a sprocket setup work, you'll need to turn the motor 90 degrees counter clockwise as looking down on the bike (z-axis, if you will).

Great torquey motor, btw. Honda's V engines are darned near bullet proof too. Their weak point (as with so many powerplants) is second gear.

9. Collapse Details
    Thanks again guys. I have continued my design draft to include the Honda mounted 90* Counterclockwise. It's a little wider than I had originally hoped, but It just gives me more space for other things. I was trying to keep it more narrow for getting between trees and trails easier, but my design is only about 7" wider.

I will be gearing it more for slow speeds and torque, as it's going to be a trail rig pulling a mini trailer with camping gear for an annual "ranger ride" with a bunch of friends and family. I got tired of riding along on the quads and other toys. I want to wheel myself!

The best part about having the whole bike, is that I will be able to utilize a lot of the parts for this specific project. I would love to eventually apply for a title and makebit street legal by constructing it to the guidelines of Iowa Code for a homebuilt vehicle. Iowa is pretty lenient on guidelines compared to other states. The motorcycle has all the electrical that is required by the guidelInes in place, so its a matter of fixing all the lights and gauges how I want, and extending harnesses to fit them. It seems the hardest part will be fixing a DOT approved windshield.

This leads to my next questions:

Has anyone applied and successfully titled a home constructed vehicle? If so, what are some things to watch out for?

Also, can I have a company that sells DOT glass cut me a custom sized windshield that will fit into the DOT Guidelines?