Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    countershaft to axle distance
    So, how close can I go? currently have a GSXR750 engine in the EBK, the distance is roughly 15" from the countershaft centerline to the axle, I want to put in a Hayabusa engine but it looks like I will need to move it back a few inches, is that a problem? would I need to put an idler on to keep more countershaft sprocket teeth engaged?
    by the way, it is a spool on the back with a 60 tooth sprocket

2. Collapse Details
    Re: countershaft to axle distance
    No reply?

3. Collapse Details
    Protodie Master and Vendor ProtoDie's Avatar
    doubt there is a firm answer with so many different applications and variables
    best way is for you to mock up or draw idler and sprockets on the bench or mock up your live axle kit in the frame
    then if trailing arms, how does the rear sprocket location affect your axle plunge if your trailing arms are already made

my live axle buggies are 14 5/8 center to center
    I run an idler to adjust the chain tension and to direct the chain thru dual a arms and past the engine sprocket cover

4. Collapse Details
    A short chain means short chain life. It also means short rides as less heat will be generated.

On a drag racer it would likely be no problem. But if you go out and run it hard for long times the chain will suffer.

Idler sprockets help guide chains around frame members and get more wrap on the front sprocket but since they both contact the chain AND bend it the opposite direction they introduce more heat!

Simple things like air ducting and fans have been used to move a lot of air over chains and make a substantial differance. Plus they are clean.

Oil and water drips have been tried but oil attracts dirt like a magnet (very messy) and water can aid corrosion.

Think of Quads. Even with thier decently long chains and sorta low weight (compared to a buggy) they wear chains out. Add in a buggys greater weight and often far more power and a short chain and its gonna be an issue.

It all comes down to a design that should have been dealt with. I know a guy who built a buggy he drives at Silver Lake Sand dunes and its not a long buggy but he has an impressively long chain to his own homemade gearbox which is sorta like an RPM but no reverse. This of course makes it easier on his chain too as the gearbox deals with reduction and is oil bathed and the primary chain while being longer also deals with less load and thus less heat. If you go right to the axle with one chain its gonna be dealing with it all.

In short anything you can do to keep it long is in your favor. Driving style is a big concern. Do you go balls out for great distances or do you and your riding buds stop a lot to watch others? (During that time the chain can cool.)

One reason no one replied yet is its been covered before many times BUT the real answer is longer is better. Only building it and trying it will tell how it will work for YOU how YOU drive.
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

5. Collapse Details
    lol Yah what Proto said! He got in while I was typing.
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

6. Collapse Details
    As long as the teeth clear each other, your good.
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

7. Collapse Details
    Protodie Master and Vendor ProtoDie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullnerd View Post
    As long as the teeth clear each other, your good.
    lol, any closer it would be gear drive and no chain needed :-)

8. Collapse Details
    Yeah and you would have 6 speeds reverse! whuuup!

9. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member
    +10 on the above. If you can adjust chain w/o idler I wouldn't use for reasons Nutz says. How about a couple pics of rear of buggy.

10. Collapse Details

Not mine but it's an EBK and looks to be the same setup, I will need to move the engine down and back to squeeze it in, so I think I'm going to go for it.
    I'll get it mounted then see how much drive sprocket engagement I have or if it looks like it is wearing out early before resorting to an idler to get more wrap on the sprocket.
    As far as cooling the chain, has anyone toyed with some type of self cooling driven sprocket? like what is used on brake rotors?
    I've got an el cheapo IR temperature readout, I guess it might be a good idea to keep an eye on the chain temps, does anyone have any data on what is a safe chain temp and what temperature you can expect problems?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast