1. Collapse Details
    Unequal length axles?
    The engine I would like to use will need to be shifted a couple inches to one side in my buggy...which means the axles will be different lengths. What kinds of headache am I setting myself up for?

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Unequal length axles?
    I cut my 930 axles down when I put my rpm box in, the left axle is an inch shorter. They are usually pretty hard steel, so it takes a healthy lathe and carbide tooling. I wouldn't cut more than 1" off each side of the 930 axles, any shorter and the spline has a possibility of slipping too far into the cv joint.

I used a HSS grooving bit to recut the groove. I had to sharpen it a dozen times, but it worked.

If you can buy the right lengths, that would probably be preferred, but you would have to order through a custom manufacturer so you dont need to buy two sets.

Only problem I see is that your shorter axle will limit your wheel travel.
    Proud owner of a two seat pucker-mobile. Funco inspired mini buggy powered by a Busa. Giving out free rides to anyone brave enough.

3. Collapse Details
    Instead of the axles it might be easier to modify where the power comes into the assembly. I feel I should know the machine (Are we talking about the smoker??)
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

4. Collapse Details
    I expect less travel, but I'm fairly sure that even with the axle being 2.5" shorter (cutting out the middle and sleeving) it'll still hit the physical limits before binding. My primary concern is the increased variance between compressed/extended full lengths and neutral length.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by nutz4sand View Post
    Instead of the axles it might be easier to modify where the power comes into the assembly. I feel I should know the machine (Are we talking about the smoker??)
    I'm ditching the F8B because buying parts for it is so much hassle for only 40hp. I'm looking at either a G10/5-speed or a DOHC G13/automatic. Both engines are physically bigger, though, and will hit my suspension on the right side. I will likely have to redesign my suspension to accommodate the engine, but I'm going to have to cut/splice axles anyway so I'm entertaiing the possibility of shifting it to clear the suspension.