Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    VW CV Options vs Ujoints.

Hey guys! I am working on planning a buggy build, and would these CV axles be suitable? I am going to need to extend the axle length, but I'm wondering if they would hold up. I am going to be running a 2006 Yamaha R1 engine, chain drive to a rear spool (solid shaft), then have cv cups which will bolt to these CV's. They are from a 1985 VW Vanagon (Bus).

How much angle could you achieve comfortably out of these cv's? I was thinking of running 1350 u joint axles originally but have been drawn into cvs. Which would be better, these Cv's or The U joints?

Buggy will be about 800-1000 lbs, 27" tires, and intended for sand and open trail, and some jumping.

Thanks a lot!

2. Collapse Details
    Re: VW CV Options vs Ujoints.
    they should hold up fine as long as you dont exceed the CV's maximum angle. 930 CV's would be a better choice due to a larger selection of axle lengths and a few degrees more of articulation. The big difference between the two types of joints is that C.V., short for constant velocity, means that the axle will not wind up, then unwind every time the axle rotates during extreme articulation.

3. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member
    I would shy away from extending the axles. Type 2 axles can be had in various lengths. And check many of the aftermarket axles use diff spline count than standard VW stuff. Type 2 is normally 33 spline. Using those is fine, just buy the longest you can find and make the driveline work with.

4. Collapse Details
    Okay thanks guys. So you would suggest the CV's over the U-Joints? Also, if I go with those CV's, I should not extend the axles, but just buy longer axles to start with? What model of vehicle would have something similar to the photo, but would be longer? I am hoping to find them with a flange on both ends of the CV's like In the photo.

5. Collapse Details
    How come you would recommend not extending the axles?

6. Collapse Details
    They will break eventually. Mine lasted about two years, and broke while cruising at 60mph. It wasnt a pleasant experience.
    Proud owner of a two seat pucker-mobile. Funco inspired mini buggy powered by a Busa. Giving out free rides to anyone brave enough.

7. Collapse Details
    I have them (type 2) on my two seater, cbr929 engine, around 1500lbs. The're still holding up fine, better than the rest of the chain drive did.

If you're going to get new ones and be ordering new axles, just get 930's. Last I checked the price difference wasn't too much. I got mine for next to nothing and still wish I had just bought 930's.

They're rated for 17 degrees, I've got like 18 ish in mine, you won't get much more than that. I've heard stories of getting 20+, maybe it's possible with aftermarket boots and a lot of massaging, but at that point might as well have just got 930's

8. Collapse Details
    If you are starting from scratch, it's hard to beat standard 28 spline buggy axles (you can buy in any length at reasonable cost), 930 inner CV, F150 outer CV, Dodge Intrepid hubs. They all fit together nicely.

9. Collapse Details
    Great! Thanks guys. Where would be the best place to order the 930 cv's? also, would I be able to use two 930 inner joints? the way I am designing the set up I will need a flange on both ends of the cvs to bolt up to my stub axles and the inner spool.

10. Collapse Details
    If you use the F150 CV for the outer, the stub is attached and fits right into the Intrepid hub/unit bearing (bearings, hub, and mounting flange all together).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast