Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Differential carrier turned fnr
    Ok guys what am I missing on why this won't work? I haven't drawn it out yet so I'll do my best to explain it clearly.

I will have motor mounted sideways. Sprocket running to jack shaft. On each side of the jack shaft there will be a slip collar to connect each side. One side will have a sprocket and chain going to a sprocket mounted in place of the ring gear which will turn the spider gears going to the front and rear diffs. The second drive chain on the jack shaft will go to the front driveshaft only. When it is engaged there will also be a cog that will hold the ring sprocket solid to the frame. Thus turning the rear wheels backwards. The front driveshaft will be a split shaft to disconnect 4wd. Then the reverse sprocket will be held solid to the frame giving you 2 hi and when in 4wd it will be 4lo. The carrier will be out of the diff case and supported with bearings with the openings covered and filled with grease. I'll draw pictures tonight and post them to illustrate it. Thanks for any feedback.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Differential carrier turned fnr
    So I've decided to make it simpler and more reliable. I'm going to scrap it being able to have high low ability. So it will just be a differential, case and all, with a sprocket on each output shaft so that both can power it forward and then the one on the driveshaft going to the rear will be disconnected from power and the pinion gear will be locked in position while the front driveshaft is spun causing the rear wheels to turn backwards. The front driveshaft will have a splined collar to disconnect the front diff.
    Last edited by mjl30; 03-11-2016 at 06:26 PM.

3. Collapse Details

So this is my two minute illustration drawing lol.
    For 2wd forward coupling 1&2 will be engaged. For 4wd (forward only) couplings 1,2&3 will be engaged. For reverse (2wd only) coupling 2 will be engaged and #4(pinion gear) will be locked in place by a cog.

4. Collapse Details
    Way too much going on and it won't work anyway. You would be better off to turn an rpm gearbox sideways, connect that to the sideways motor and scrap the middle diff. You would also now have front and rear reverse. It would be cheaper, cleaner and easier to build.
    Last edited by yoshi; 03-12-2016 at 12:19 PM.
    www.SinisterSandSports.com
    918-521-3736
    Yes, i'm on facebook clicky clicky.................

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshi View Post
    Way too much going on and it won't work anyway. You would be better off to turn an rpm gearbox sideways, connect that to the sideways motor and scrap the middle diff. You would also now have front and rear reverse. It would be cheaper, cleaner and easier to build.
    Could you explain why it wouldn't work please?

6. Collapse Details
    Technically, the design will work. Practically, it's heavy, cumbersome, has too much going on, will be a nightmare to actually setup and above all completely unnecessary.

1). From experience, jackshafts with chains where the secondary chain sees more load than the primary chain do to ratio tend to fail.

2). You would ideally need a 1:1 ratio from the motor to the jackshaft with the bigger ratio going from the jackshaft to the diff axle setup. This is not possible with the motor where it's at, the chain would hit the center axle running forward (since 1:1 sprockets would be smaller based on max od of what will work on the motor) which means you need to raise the motor way up to try and make it work.

3). In RWD mode, you are putting all the power through 1 small spider gear going to the back. Cars with turning brakes don't even have the kinds of temporary loads you will running full power through that 1 small gear all the time.

4). You have a lot of short chains in there, which will get hot and wear out.

5). You will need a tensioner on every single chain. Having different ratio's from the motor to the jackshaft and then the jackshaft to the diff axle setup will load one more than the other and will stretch different.

6). You will need a lot of bearings to support everything, especially when the coupler is disengaged and not supporting the shaft without it.

7). Getting those spline couplers to line up, as well as engaging multiple couplers and a cog, depending on what you are wanting (RWD, FWD, Revers, etc.) will be a nightmare. You will need a bunch of levers on the dash to change them in the correct sequence while having to slip the clutch and pulling specific levers to get things to line up and slide to lock. I count at least 4 leavers needed? You will need some time just to learn the proper order, and if you forgot to disengage coupler 1 when you are going in reverse, hopeful it just kills the motor and doesn't break something. That's also a lot of cables you gotta route.

8). That setup will require a lot of custom parts to be built.

9). It is completely un necessary and will add a lot of weight. You don't even need the diff to do what your wanting to do. You could actually accomplish the same thing with a front and rear shaft and attaching a sprocket to sprocket ratio to the back shaft for forward and a gear to gear ratio to the back shaft for reverse with a dog ear setup to switch between them. You would then only need 1 coupler to engage or disengage the front for a FWD setup.

10). You would be better off just to run an RPM unit and connect it to the motor, then run a shaft forward and a shaft backward and if your dead set on having it a RWD or FWD option, put a connection somewhere inline for the forward drive shaft to disconnect it.

I'm sure there are other problems with this setup but what I listed should be more than enough to get the jist of it.......
    Last edited by yoshi; 03-12-2016 at 04:44 PM.
    918-521-3736

7. Collapse Details
    You make very good points and if I can afford an rpm unit when the time comes to build then believe me I will buy one. But just to clarify some things.
    I was planning on making the motor to jack shaft sprockets as close to 1:1 as possible because I've read threads about loading and have the main reduction from the jack shaft to the diff.
    Also the jack shaft would be on the opposite side of the frame(two seater) to make the chains as long as possible and it would be higher than the driveshafts so the chain won't be in the way.
    Both chains going from the jack shaft to the each side off the diff will be engaged while going forward so no load will be on the spider gears except when in reverse for a short period.
    Yes there will have to be some slippage to align and lock the couplings in.
    There will only be two levers. One that disengages coupling to rear driveshaft and engages cog and one lever to disengage 4wd.
    There would be a total of 8 bearings.
    If I had the tools I would do like others and use a Sammy t-case to get reverse.
    My thinking was that it's cheaper than an rpm, lighter than a whole transmission and can be built by someone without major tools.
    Last edited by mjl30; 03-12-2016 at 07:15 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mjl30 View Post
    My thinking was that it's cheaper than an rpm, lighter than a whole transmission and can be built by someone without major tools.
    I think you'll find the opposite....
    918-521-3736

9. Collapse Details
    So is an rpm's internal diff an open diff? If so and say you have you have it running to rear and front open diffs then would it potentially be a problem if one wheel lost contact to the ground. Wouldn't that render it immobile?
    Thanks for the input though yoshi I really do appreciate it and I'm going to do everything I can to implement an rpm box in the cost first and foremost. I just wanted to see what people thought of my backup plan c.

10. Collapse Details
    Rpm is locked left to right. There is no differential inside.
    Proud owner of a two seat pucker-mobile. Funco inspired mini buggy powered by a Busa. Giving out free rides to anyone brave enough.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast