Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Motorcycle engines and car transmissions....why ain't it done?
    Quote Originally Posted by nutz4sand View Post
    Good point.

I have not looked at that yet but next time I get a chance and a minute i will.
    I believe all FWD engines rotate (at the harmonic balancer) the same direction as the wheels (going forward). And all input/output shafts also. Everything rotates the same as the wheels.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bdkw1 View Post
    B series engines spin backwards also. Might also want to make sure your spinning the trans the direction it originally went. It might not like the thrust loads going the other direction.
    They can probably handle some reverse loading. When you downshift and let off the gas, it is forcing the gears opposite directions than when under power.

No guarantees though. I know one bearing on the main shaft is always larger.
    Proud owner of a two seat pucker-mobile. Funco inspired mini buggy powered by a Busa. Giving out free rides to anyone brave enough.

3. Collapse Details
    Hello guys. First time I have commented on anything but I have stolen many ideas from the geniuses on here over the last year. This thread caught my eye. I am building a 2 seater buggy powered by an RC51 coupled to a car transmission. Here I am thinking I came up with a completely new idea until I saw this thread. Lol. I am in the finishing stages and plan on posting pics of my build soon. It has made its maiden voyage in the yard and back to changing some sprocket sizes. This is my 3rd build. I have learned from the first 2 and tried to improve along the way. Still I see things already I will do different next time. I live in Tennessee and strictly do trail riding with the wifey and kids. Just wanted to comment on this one and will try and get a few pics in on the correct spot soon.

4. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member
    Welcome! RC51s rock!

The RPM fnr box has had a size advantage for so long, when car trans' shrank with the overall size of cars, they didn't catch on.

Although, on another site, a busa is running through a 091 VW, so it could have been done quite a while ago.

Let me be the first to say we love pictures of new (different) stuff. And even of old (familiar) stuff. Start a new thread in 'Showing Off Your Toys' and bring em on!
    I race, therefore I am

5. Collapse Details
    Okay i started this years ago because i had planned on doing a motor swap in my buggy, wanted to go the known route (for me) and use a motorcycle engine. Then, as it turned out, the buggy was mostly just fine as it was.

however, last fall, the ecu crashed...so, as it were, the engine is no longer doing just fine.

iím now looking at doing this swap once again. I intend to use either a typical fuel injected liter bike lump...possibly an XX engine...or a Bandit 1200 setup. Iím going to be running the engine through a 5 speed manual gearbox from a Geo Metro (G10). The shifting will be done in the Geo gearbox and the Bandit will be stuck in 4th (1:1) unless i need some extra climbing oomph or more top end speed. The idea of using the G10 from the Geo is still on the table, i just donít know if i want to go through the effort of an engine swap for only 45hp. Thereís also a GSXR750 lump iím considering, but iím concerned the engine will be too peaky.

Input in the 5speed is on the lright side and input rotation is clockwise looking at the motor. My intention at this time is to build a driveshaft to connect the motorcycle engine to the transmission. I think that, with some strategic trimming of the bell housing, i can get the shaft to be less than 6Ē long (assuming B12 lump).

6. Collapse Details
    Have you thought of a JDM Subaru engine and manual trans? You could go mid engine, or contact Subaru Gears.com to get a reverse ring and pinion to run a rear engine set up.

Justin
    Nowhere near the desert.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Deranged View Post
    Have you thought of a JDM Subaru engine and manual trans? You could go mid engine, or contact Subaru Gears.com to get a reverse ring and pinion to run a rear engine set up.
    Using other varieties of transmissions has entered my mind, but I'm trying to avoid having to essentially shop off the whole engine bay area and redesigning it from the ground up.

8. Collapse Details
    OKAY!!

I'm getting started. I have my engine (CBR954RR) and I have my transmission (5-speed manual from a geo metro). For the handful of you who've done it...did you lop off the pilot pin on the transmission input shaft or bore your extension to accept it? I'm going to have a bearing mounted almost right at the splines so the shaft will be supported and I'd rather just cut the little nub off. Opinions?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8