Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    RPM Gearbox Parts
    I'm starting this thread hoping it will become a sticky (wink, wink)for those who want to gather parts before tearing into their box.

These parts are for the chain driven box, with a splined input. Still need to get the numbers for the needle bearings on the reverse idler.

If anyone is interested in a "seal kit" let me know. I'm buying the o-rings in bulk, and will have extra seals. The seals are easily changed without special tools.

Starting from the top down

BEARINGS

Input shaft bearing splined side- NJ205E-C3 (makes sure it has the "E"!!! These have the "e"xtended rollers!!!)

Auxiliary shaft (opposite of input) 6205-1" (This bearing has a 1" bore, not the 25mm!)

Middle shaft - 6305 (heavier duty version of the 6205, but with a 25mm bore)

Lower shaft - 6207Z-C3(The shield was located closest to the main gear, possibly to keep debris out of the bearing?)

SEALS

The upper seals are single lip stock, I upgraded to a double to keep sand from wedging into the seal

Input - 9876 (Single Lip), 9878 (Double Lip)

Auxiliary shaft (if equipped) - 12363 (single), 12364 (double)

Input shaft o-ring (between the sealing ring and the NJ205E bearing) - 020 (Buna-N is fine)

Shift shaft o-ring - 012 (Buna-N is fine)

Lower seals (2 of them) 35x52x7 (or x8) if you have type 2 cv cups, or 40x52x7 (or x8) if you have the 091 cups (threaded bolt holding cup on)

Feel free to add on if you have the numbers for the CVT box.

I'm doing another small upgrade to my box to be able to check on the bearings, and to eliminate much of the silicone goo. I'll post about that what I have it finished.
    Last edited by plkracer; 11-23-2015 at 11:17 PM.
    Proud owner of a two seat pucker-mobile. Funco inspired mini buggy powered by a Busa. Giving out free rides to anyone brave enough.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: RPM Gearbox Parts
    They turned out beautifully!

No more blue goo on the three small covers.
    Proud owner of a two seat pucker-mobile. Funco inspired mini buggy powered by a Busa. Giving out free rides to anyone brave enough.

3. Collapse Details
    I dont own one but damn good post. Love this site. Specs posted online with part numbers is so nice to see.

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the post PLK, perfect timing for my project.

Know of anyone that has swapped to roller bearings for the lower shaft? They are much stronger radially. Though I'm not sure anyone has had problems with the stock ball bearings.

Great idea with the o-ring setup!

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JD66 View Post
    Thanks for the post PLK, perfect timing for my project.

Know of anyone that has swapped to roller bearings for the lower shaft? They are much stronger radially. Though I'm not sure anyone has had problems with the stock ball bearings.

Great idea with the o-ring setup!
    The NJ series of roller bearings can only take a limited axial load in a single direction. They don't give a number, but I'm assuming it is lower than the deep groove ball bearings since it would be riding on the shoulder of the roller. You might be able to put them in the box with a face-face or back-back configuration to take any axial load applied to the cv cups.

The 6207's are good for ~5700lbs dynamically, while the smaller NJ205e's are good for ~6000 lbs radial load, so there would be a substantial gain in the radial direction (provided they make a roller bearing with the same dimensions)

Looking at the 6207 compared to the 6205, there is no comparison, as the races, balls, and cage are considerably beefier. It is closer in construction to the 6305.

I'm using 6209's on my K drive, which takes the radial load from the chain as well, and the load is overhanging the bearing by a couple inches. They are rated for 7200 lbs dynamically. It might be nice to have a little more head room on the lower bearing, but like you said, I haven't seen any failures yet.

I'm assuming the 091 and similar transmissions have a comparable sized bearing? Probably the same? Many people are able to push 300+ hp through them, and the gears are the first to go. Food for thought....

With the 6207's, and assuming an 8" ring gear, it would take something like 3800 foot lbs of torque at the rear wheels to match the capacity for a million revolution lifespan. That would be 700 foot lbs into the box!! (which comes out to ~160 foot lbs at the crank, using hayabusa ratios in first gear, if you can keep the tires planted)
    Last edited by plkracer; 11-26-2015 at 12:33 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    I'm a bit confused by the 6205 bearing for the auxilary side. Both Mcmaster and SKF list that bearing as a 25mm ID, but you said it's 1"? My auxilary shaft is 1" OD.

Side note - I wonder if the CVT boxes are 1" on both the input side and the auxilary side. I have a few CVT shafts here and they measure 1" on both sides.

McMaster-Carr

http://www.skf.com/binary/56-121486/...-catalogue.pdf

7. Collapse Details
    There is a special bearing made with a 1" bore.

I'm not too pleased with it since it is hard to find a brand name bearing in that size, only no-name chinese bearings.

1" ID 52mm Bore bearing

The bearing that came in my box was definitely something like this, with the seals plucked out.

I looked into replacing it with a common 1" bore bearing, but the OD would be too small.

The old CVT boxes used the 6205-1" (sometimes listed as 6205-16) on both sides. The new ones use some sort of taper roller that I don't have the number for.

8. Collapse Details
    Maybe you should ask me if you are confused as to which bearings you are trying to recommend if you are setting yourself up as a supplier.

The 1"(6205-1)bore bearing is available thru several manufacturers such as WTW which is a Japanese bearing and have yet to have a failure. A 6205-16 (or an R-16) has never been used.

The input seal IS a double lip seal (SKF 12360) and the input bearings that I have been using are the MTK NJ 6205E (German) and have the larger rollers. The C3 is not needed as this refers to a press fit bearing and these are not.

The CVT boxes have a couple of configurations but the primary is a 6205-1 bearing on the clutch side with a 6304 on the right side of the box. Any box with a brake or 1" shaft evident on the right side is also a 6205-1 bearing for obvious reasons. That seal is a SKF 9876/9878 for the 1" shaft. Early boxes have a 6205 standard bearing if there is a splined shaft evident on the right side and a 25 X 38 X 7 seal.

All bearings and seals are available thru RPM upon request.

Dan (RPM, tm) RPM Gearboxes

9. Collapse Details
    See reply below

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post

All bearings and seals are available thru RPM upon request.

Thanks Dan good info..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast