Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Single Speed CVT or 5 Speed Trans?
    Im Curious on how many of you guys prefer running a Single Speed with a CVT as compared to a Shifting 5 Speed like from a Motorcycle engine setup?

I grew up on Motorcycles so Shifting isn't a problem for me to find the best gear to be in while duneing or Offroading in the desert. But I can see how it can be difficult for, lets say a family member who wants to take the buggy for a ride, to understand the shifting range per Terrain they're in.
    I also started getting used to running the CVT setup on the Vanguard 35HP buggy and its capabilities along with the ease of a Family member taking the buggy out and not having to worry about shifting.

But I have to say I do catch myself feeling the need to Shift when my adrenaline gets pumping and I get into Robby Gordon mode wanting to downshift and feel the punch of some more torque!

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Single Speed CVT or 5 Speed Trans?
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    You know my feelings!

3. Collapse Details
    Cold Spring MN ...Dunz season's ust around the corner
    CVT is a lot easier on the pocket book and a CVT with the right clutchin and power will set ya back in yer seat
    The question is not if its gona roll. Its when ..

That be some kind of church cruzzer or commuter bike thingy ?

4. Collapse Details
    My only CVT experience is with FL350s and Pilots. I like shifting. Even if it's paddle shifting (ok ok, I like paddle shifting a lot!!!). I feel more in control, focused, and in touch with what I'm doing. Plus, motorcycle engines are already sequential shift which is hands down the BEST way of shifting be it through a slap stick or paddles. One of the first upgrades I'm going to my two seater after its done is the paddle operated flat shift setup from flatshifter.com. I still like having a clutch for standing starts in anything performance based even after being fortunate enough to drive a couple of the top tier "flappy paddle gearboxes".

Rat, I'm not so sure on the CVT and pocketbook. Compare a R1 and Apex. You can get a complete fuel injected R1 kit for around $1800. While an Apex is around the same price (2K on average since I've been debating on one to go in the single seater), you still have the cost of the Clutches. Chain is pretty cheap. I think the only chance for a savings would come in upkeep department. I won't argue that chains are a pain in the ass though...

RGV, you can try my single seater anytime. That will tell you whether or not you like shifting since it keeps your right hand pretty damn busy due to it's Mike 'N Ike 600. Just don't break it
    Last edited by flyerrider; 08-14-2014 at 07:51 PM.
    Over complicating mini buggies since 2005

Certified lazy fabricating laser junkie

K-Fab Says: Don't ride with me - I flip stuff like RZRs and myself over the bars...

5. Collapse Details
    CVT isn't single speed, it is best described maybe as automatic? CVT stands for constant "variable" transmission, it's always changing to suit the load.

If you look at the power curve for a cvt set up it should be a straight line and works by tuning the cluches to rev straight to the engines peak power, say 8000rpm and stay there while the clutches shift out. You then have a situation where the engine is at peak power 95 percent of the time. Peak torque is say 1000rpm to 1500rpm lower than peak HP? so as you come into a corner your cvt system should backshift you right back onto peak torque for acceleration out of the corner.

With a shifter set up you rev to 8000rpm in first then change to second where the rpm drops off, then rev back to 8000 or slightly higher, so you are now on the back side of your power curve then rev back up to 8000 in third and so on. The shifter power curve looks like a saw tooth and the cvt power curve looks like a straight line. The cvt will get the power to the ground better,especially out of corners.

As to which system is more fun to drive, it probably comes down more to personal preference.

Thats my 2 cents, lol.

6. Collapse Details
    Oddozzie said it very well. A CVT will out run a equal machine all day, everyday. I go from 0-80mph at constant rpms between 7600- 8200 rpms the whole time and my boost is 15lbs from the drop of my throttle. Not to mention both of my hands never leave the wheel. For me this is a huge safety factor at full speed. And who wants to shift while trying to turn in fast trails?
    That is MY 2 cents.

7. Collapse Details
    I have run the Oregon dunes with fast (70-80 mph) CVT Apex powered sand cars.
    I have to work harder than they do to keep the engine in the power band with my manual shift when the race is on and Ego's are on the line.
    With CVT's you are committed to an expensive gear box or messy jack shafts.
    With bike engines you should have a gear box but could get away with a huge rear sprocket.
    I am impressed with CVT's.
    Herman
    Near the Oregon dunes

8. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    The Busa powered Coyote I drove was fun, but it was a pain to keep in the correct gear and I constantly had to worry about keeping the power in place.

I was able to run faster than Jay (who's been duning for years and is an expert duner) in the Apex car while he drove the Busa.

They (CVT) just put the power down so much better, more reliably and you're never "in the wrong gear" - ever. (well, as long as it's clutches are tuned correctly).

I do have to agree w/Flyer on the paddle shifting, though. My last two street cars were manual 6 speeds and my present has an "automatic manual" - meaning the car controls the clutch, but I control the shifting with a pair of paddles on the steering wheel. There's something VERY cool about selecting the right gear with the pull of a paddle. It's SO quick (and mine's not even a dual clutch setup, which are lightning fast).

Still for out in the dirt, it's gonna be a CVT.

Damn. Benihana does have me thinking about the DSG VW transmission tied to a Nytro engine in the Raptor.

9. Collapse Details
    CVT gets my vote.

The Briggs is plenty violent in the woods with it.
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

10. Collapse Details
    I don't have any real experience on the CVT's, but have owned the Busa powered coyote K-fab mentioned for about 4 years now. For the driving I do, I can pretty much stick it in 3rd and go anywhere I want. When I am hitting the hills and having fun, I get into 4th, sometimes 5th, and that engine is always pulling hard. I have ridden in Razors with CVT's, but would really like to try something that has more power and a CVT setup for comparison.

I also thought about using a CVT setup in the XK1000, but was more interested in finishing the build sooner vs. learning how to tune a CVT setup properly.......and I am still behind my build schedule.....rigafratz!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast