Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Single Speed CVT or 5 Speed Trans?
    Quote Originally Posted by flyerrider View Post

RGV, you can try my single seater anytime. That will tell you whether or not you like shifting since it keeps your right hand pretty damn busy due to it's Mike 'N Ike 600. Just don't break it
    I would love to give your buggy a try! But I have a tendency to lose control of my throttle foot and airtime is Like Crack to me! Like I said I should have been a Pilot! So I'll wait till we get out to the desert for a run!
    We'll have to get together out in Ocotillo when I get things squared away on the LT conversion, and when this damn heat wave passes!!!

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rgvkid View Post
    Sandracer, Damn sounds like a Jet!
    What travel numbers does your Revolt Pull?

Well it sounds like the CVT setup Has the Majority of the vote!

I have a 96 ZX6E sitting in my shop that I have been contemplating on using for a Mild 2 seater build, but I wasn't sure if I should go for it or get rid of it and keep my eyes open for a Rotax or another VTwin setup.
    I think whats more important would be to save up for a decent FNR then go from there since that would be the bulk of the $.
    LOL. With the closed back cover on the GoPro you are hearing the trans.
    That vid was before the clutches were tuned all the way. Quads were my measuring stick. That run was about 600' and I was running, I would guess, 70-75 mph. Oh yeah and only 12lbs of boost. It is faster now, well quicker I should say. 15lbs of boost and shift out is tuned much better.

I will make this point about CVT's. your max speed is what it is. Gearing is limited to the OD of the 2 clutches and rpms. They do make overdrive CVT's for bigger $$$$$.
    A good new FNR is next for me. About 3k-3.5k all said and done. OUCH!!!!!

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rgvkid View Post
    Sandracer, Damn sounds like a Jet!
    What travel numbers does your Revolt Pull?

Well it sounds like the CVT setup Has the Majority of the vote!

I have a 96 ZX6E sitting in my shop that I have been contemplating on using for a Mild 2 seater build, but I wasn't sure if I should go for it or get rid of it and keep my eyes open for a Rotax or another VTwin setup.
    I think whats more important would be to save up for a decent FNR then go from there since that would be the bulk of the $.

Look at the 1050cc triple Yamaha Nytro motor. It is a beast. A friend of mine put one in his Revolt. It is SICK and may be my next motor.

4. Collapse Details
    Sandracer.. Rep St. Louis! I was born and raised there. I want to know what CVTs you all recommend putting on these bikes? My coworker has a R1 yamaha that he is willing to sell me for $300. I'm completely sold on the CVT, but the question now becomes what CVT? I'm definitely going super bike motor on my build. Recommendations?

5. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Trying to adapt a CVT to a motorcycle engine has proven to be quite challenging. I can’t think of any builds on this forum that have managed to pull it off.

The countershaft output shaft doesn’t have enough support and adapting it to fit the 10:1 taper snub that the CVT fits on won’t be easy.
    Next aspect of doing this with a bike engine is you have a transmission that is nothing but excess weight.
    Lastly you can’t spin a primary clutch much over 8500 rpm. They tend to scatter things out of them at high velocity.

Stick with a sled engine. The RX1 (early 2000’s) was carbureted while the Apex was the EFI version (and you can put the EFI on an RX1 fairly easily). They make 150-160 hp. They are based on the R1 engine (most of the top end parts are interchangeable) but don’t have a trans and all the drive train stuff in the cases. They do have a gear reduction system that lets the motor spin to 10.5-11k rpm with an output shaft designed for a CVT primary and it’s max rpm.

I’m presently building around a Yamaha Nytro - the 3 cylinder 1053cc powerplant mentioned above. 140 hp, big flat torque curve, 4 valve head (instead of 5 like the Genesis based R1/RX1/Apex, all the YZFs and such) and built as a sled motor from the start.

Physical the Nytro and the Apex engines are quite similar in size.

If you need (we all need) more HP the Yamaha line responds exceptionally well to adding forced induction. I’ll be making 210ish reliable (so I keep hearing) out of my Nytro with the GYRT supercharger kit (made by Mountain Performance) with no internal mods and larger injectors.

Both the Nytro and Apex powerplants are capable of making upwards of 400 with internal mods and such - I seriously doubt reliability stays around at these levels, though.

The absolutely quickest vehicle I’ve ever been in is a turbo charged Apex powered mid sized two seat sand car (Desert Dog Coyote) running a CVT and about 275 hp. I couldn’t get my focus to move far enough forward fast enough to keep up with the acceleration and at about 90 my attachments said “ENOUGH!”

One last thought - I’ve been in half a dozen of the Coyotes (good friend of mine was the designer/builder) and a normally aspirated Apex with CVT just walks the Busa powered Coyotes. The drive train is so much more efficient and you’re never searching for a gear like you do in a bike powered ride. I would like a chance to ride/drive some of the modded Busa cars on this site, though.

Hope this info helps.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by K-fab View Post
    Hope this info helps.
    K-fab, thats for the detailed response. I totally get it. I think i'm just going to settle on my design and adopt the sled methodology like you suggest. You mentioned a build your working on. You should post a link, or start a build thread if you haven't. I'm working on a 3D model of my setup before sticking arcs or cutting tube. let me know what you think of the initial design...

Design Phases 3D model of frame
    Last edited by 67StingrayJ; 04-06-2019 at 04:48 PM. Reason: posted link of current design build

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by 67StingrayJ View Post
    You should post a link, or start a build thread if you haven't.

https://www.minibuggy.net/forum/proje...fab-style.html

8. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    You should post a link, or start a build thread if you haven't.
    Search a bit in the projects threads; Briggs, Deztaz, RZR dash
    www.yellowdogracing.com
    Just a bit of info to be found.

9. Collapse Details
    K-fab, You mentioned a build your working on. You should post a link, or start a build thread if you haven't.
    LOL

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3