Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Single Speed CVT or 5 Speed Trans?
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Ninja - are you gonna make it to the Glamis Gathering? If so, I'd love to have you drive the 10Dez (heck, we'll all have to trade rides). Even though it's a 2020 lb pig, it will give you an idea of how the CVT works.

I'm not sure if I can pull it off, but I may be able to snag Jay's Apex powered Coyote (gonna bag on Jay and shame him into coming at least for the weekend).

20 minutes after I've started this response

So this made me call him

Looks like we may have an Apex powered Coyote at the gathering - and probably a Wildcat (Nutz, wanna join us? ) with a Muzzy power package on it.

Looks like Jay's in and will join us for the Glamis Gathering!

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by K-fab View Post
    (Nutz, wanna join us? )
    Yes YES I DO! But sadely I am still stuck in Michigan. Almost had a break to Salt Lake City, Utah recently but it fell through.

Been far to long since I have been to Glamis. Far far too long.

On this threads topic I too favor CV but do hate thier one flaw.

You either need them set up for all around duning or for drag racing. Hard to get one to do both easy.

Were as a shifting clutch you "tune" it every second you drive. So it can rev up and hit hard or come in softer when you chose.

What would be TITS (no not the little birds. BEWBS!!!) Is for the CV companies to make a CVT that the primary is controlled hydraulically so it could hit hard or soft for the driver. Literally have a cylinder push inward via a bearing

Well not as easy to build as a weight/spring tuned clutch the advantages would be grandoise!
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

3. Collapse Details
    Hey nutz just do like I do. Pull one main bolt and swap out primaries. 20 mins and I am ready for anything. Honestly I tend to leave my drag clutch on and just run the sh! T out of my ride. I love the feeling of the holeshot on dunes and trails.

KFab not going to make our little sahara trip sept 12-21again?
    It is an open invitation to all. Sure would like to meet the man behind all the advise and knowledge.

4. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member
    My 2 cents are from the racing side of things, so it may not apply. My vote goes to CVT. People I've raced against with shifters seem to have had trouble putting in clean laps, lap after lap. Missing their gear, dumping the clutch coming out of the corner and over rotating or going up in wheel spin, etc. I can imagine that shifting would be more involving, and the ability to precisely bang the power in to lighten the front end would be nice, among other benefits.

I remember when Bugpac was around. His first build was a shifter, and he talked about how shifting was superior, but after having chain problems, he ended up with a CVT.
    I race, therefore I am

5. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member
    For me it was about availability and knowledge. 99% of us in south have never rode a snow machine and sure as hell dont know how to tune them clutches. So rippen gears it is!

Sandracer, I'm hoping to make it to LS. Be good to see ya and ride.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by K-fab View Post
    Ninja - are you gonna make it to the Glamis Gathering? If so, I'd love to have you drive the 10Dez (heck, we'll all have to trade rides). Even though it's a 2020 lb pig, it will give you an idea of how the CVT works.

I'm not sure if I can pull it off, but I may be able to snag Jay's Apex powered Coyote (gonna bag on Jay and shame him into coming at least for the weekend).

20 minutes after I've started this response

So this made me call him

Looks like we may have an Apex powered Coyote at the gathering - and probably a Wildcat (Nutz, wanna join us? ) with a Muzzy power package on it.

Looks like Jay's in and will join us for the Glamis Gathering!
    I still have this on my radar and am trying to find a way to pull it off. I would love to ride in a few well set up CVT rigs, that would be a kick in the pants. If I do manage to go, it would like to hook up with others that are driving south for the event. Always good to have a few other people cruising with you on long trips in case something goes wrong.....

7. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Quote Originally Posted by sandracer1 View Post
    KFab not going to make our little sahara trip sept 12-21again?
    It is an open invitation to all. Sure would like to meet the man behind all the advise and knowledge.
    Yea, I'm out - with my move and all, there's not a chance I'm sitting behind the wheel of my truck for 14 hrs just two weeks into being in AZ.

But I will make it one of these times - been a long time since I've been to LS and that place is a blast.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by CARLRIDDLE View Post
    For me it was about availability and knowledge. 99% of us in south have never rode a snow machine and sure as hell dont know how to tune them clutches. So rippen gears it is!

Sandracer, I'm hoping to make it to LS. Be good to see ya and ride.
    If you make it Carl I will let you strap in my ride and give you a first hand feel for the CVT, but, you cannot blame me when you have to change your driveline and maybe build #3.

9. Collapse Details
    here is a clip of me running some built quads at St Joe park when I was tuned about 80% complete in 2011. It took me another year to get it right. This is my favorite vid I have made. They always think they will blow me away. LOL

Redline Revolt Turbo drag racing quads 5-22-11 - YouTube

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by sandracer1 View Post
    here is a clip of me running some built quads at St Joe park
    Sandracer, Damn sounds like a Jet!
    What travel numbers does your Revolt Pull?

Well it sounds like the CVT setup Has the Majority of the vote!

I have a 96 ZX6E sitting in my shop that I have been contemplating on using for a Mild 2 seater build, but I wasn't sure if I should go for it or get rid of it and keep my eyes open for a Rotax or another VTwin setup.
    I think whats more important would be to save up for a decent FNR then go from there since that would be the bulk of the $.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast