View Poll Results: What's the Diff?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • No diff (solid axle/spool)

5 62.50%
  • Open diff

1 12.50%
  • ATB diff (torque biasing like quaife / torsen)

1 12.50%
  • Other LSD (plate, viscous)

1 12.50%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    To diff or not to diff?
    Question
    I wanted to get the opinion of the experienced crowd. I have searched the forum but couldn't find a clear consensus (apologies if I missed it!).

How many of you guys install differentials?

Our Rorty designs don't include them and neither do Edge but I know a lot of edge guys do the Quaife mod.
    I'm across the pros and cons (sort of anyway) but haven't experienced with / without diff in a side by side comparison. I assume the type of racing makes a diff too (pun intended).

Was wondering if inclusion of a diff option would be popular. A torque biasing centre seems to be the logical choice but they're not cheap and not available for many transaxle set ups.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: To diff or not to diff?
    I have no Diff... I want one.

If you look at all high end offroad racing they all have diffs. Turning tightly at slow speed without one is just awful. It puts far greater load on the axles and leads to understeer. At higher speeds with a diff you can corner faster without the back end pushing out, which although fun, is not always fast.

Advantages of no diff is that it is usually cheaper and less complicated. This translates to less to go wrong. In the mud I have found a locked rear end to be great, but it depends on how much mud you drive in.

If you went for a diff, I am 100% certain you would need an LSD. Quaife are one of the few companies that manufacture one for a chain drive but they are expensive. You can modify one yourself but make sure you do a good job as I hear they are troublesome to get right. Check out the formula SAE (FSAE) cars, lots of those guys modify diffs for chain drives.

Just my 2 cents...

3. Collapse Details
    You said what I was thinking.

4. Collapse Details
    I don't race, but I do have the Quaife FNR box in my buggy. I love having the diff, and reverse of course. I do get some push while cornering, but I run only sand.
    I will say that you have to use some caution when shifting, NO power shifting! It was a six week and $3000.00 US lesson while I waited for a new one to be built, lol. If it helps mine is in a thousand pound two seater with 200hp Busa.

5. Collapse Details
    Good info thanks. Which bit broke, the reducing / reverse gears or the diff?
    Don't forget to vote

6. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    I'm a live axle guy. - but I've not driven an off roader with a diff, so ???
    (boy that was helpful, eh?)

7. Collapse Details
    We have a couple of cars with diffs at our club ,, they dont seem to have a any noticable advantage as i think you just adjust your driving to suit , at the same time we have no really slow tight corners either.

As far as the power shifts go ,, if you cant do them with the quaife,, kind of defeats the purpose ,, for racing anyway. Unless in tight conditions.

A car that pushes and has poor geometry and set up, would push with or without a diff would'nt it ?

My old car was quite wide and had a fairly big turning circle, it had no understeer to speak of except when you got down to walking pace, same as the current car as you would expect with a live axle. As soon as you get out of the pits no probs.

The first time we ran the old car on slicks at a hill climb i saw the track and thought it was gonna be woefull ,, because of all the stuff i had read / been told,, baaah it was awesome, on one tight hairpin it was a bit shit but we just set it up a bit looser in the back and started to back it in a bit harder , all good . Would it have been quicker with a diff who knows , but at no time did i really wish for one.

On tight trails at lower speeds i think it would be an advantage but other than that ,, debatable.
    Of course this is all just an opinion based on my experiences.

Come to think of it if you check bullnerds last vid of him in his back yard that briggs dont seem to miss a diff.

Here is a quick link to the track
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiYRBseHh-4
    Last edited by K-fab; 07-01-2014 at 12:30 AM.
    Talon's YouTube Channel

Adapt what is usefull , reject what is useless and add what is your own.........Bruce Lee

8. Collapse Details
    Ive had both Locker and a diff in my car,
    First time i had the car running was with the locker and i HATED it, but as talon mentioned, car set-up makes a massive difference and i new squat about car set-up back then(.....years later and im more confused)

I then tried a LSD diff and found it behaved much the same as a Locker,then went the open wheel diff and LOVED it! slow turns were a dream and no push what so ever and always put power to both wheels......I swore by the Diff,and them came the reliability issues with the diff,ofcorse my crapy design could have been better/more reliable so i binned the idea.Finaly i went back to good old Locker style rear end and changed my driving style and havnt looked back since.
    considering most of the time is spent spinning the wheels and sideways the only big advantage with the diff is gonna be on Tarmac/high grip tracks
    If you got spare time and money then give it a go and see for yourself(my set up cost around $500AUD) but for our lightweight little machines i recon
    Car set-up and good driver skill goes a long way
    Just my 2cents worth

9. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member
    Biggest problem I see with this is people who drive slow. LOL

Live axle for me and is only a problem turning slow on the paved surface, but there short and lead to the dirty offroad. With exception of mudd, never really see a diff car doing the one wheel wonder.

10. Collapse Details
    That's good info. Bob (rorty designer) sticks with solid axle set up for the same reasons.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast