Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    U joint drive axles
    Ok. I decided to ditch the civic transmission idea and go with a spool set up for the drive train. I would like to go with a u joint drive axle. Similar to the ones here at Extreme drive axles Extreme Fabrication, Riverside Ca Im going to be running this buggy 80% of the time in sand, and frankly i'm not a big fan of changing broken cv's out in the middle of the dunes. haha so i'm hoping to get away from that problem with the u joint style axles. My question is, will these be too heavy for my set up? What are the drawbacks from having this type of axle? Anybody have a similar set up? Any input, thoughts, advice, would be greatly appreciated.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: U joint drive axles
    I have heard of a lot of complaints of the extreme axles slip joints siezing up and when the suspension compresses they punch a hole thru the tranny. (I know you said you were thinking spool) But the forces when that happens will wreak havoc on most things.

That said how much travel are you going for? CV's in a proper setup can do 18 to 24 inches with HUGE horsepower and a lo of weight. So if they are breaking you have something pretty wrong in the design and layout.

Do not forget if going to a spool chances are a larger rear sprocket and you loose travel with that.
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

3. Collapse Details
    Also in asking if to heavy for your setup not all who see this will have seen this will have seen where you may have talked about your build as in size and motor choice so it helps to mention it or link to it.
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

4. Collapse Details
    https://www.minibuggy.net/forum/motor...8999-rc51.html. here's the link to the build. Not much done to it yet. Thinking of going with trailing arms in the rear rather than a arms.

5. Collapse Details
    After looking at your linked of your setup to switch it to trailing arms will be a lot more than you might like.

Be easy to alter what you have and you could frogleg the A-arms (Means make them sweep back a bit) or other things like scrap the Honda tranny (I like the Honda tranny idea but it HAS to be done right. No none zero ziltch on side pull can be on that input shaft.

ONLY twist torque!!!! It needs a double bearing carrier out there for the sprocket (one bearing on each side of the trannies sprocket) then feed power sideways into the tranny dead straight on. If you pull sideways on that input it will fail in no time. (by sideways I mean towards the engine. If you pop a sprocket on that input shaft and a bearing only on the outside smooth part and let the bike engine pull on it its game over QUICK. Think of the car engine. The crank is dead steady and long so it does not let that shaft go anywhere but around. Need to do the same to keep a car tranny alive like this.

Or you could pop for an RPM tranny (1500 used if you score a good deal or 2500-ish new) and that would make a lot of it simpler. The loot may sound like its a lot and it is but many often get a BUTTload of money in a good spool (read strong) only to still have a LARGE rear sprocket that kills ground clearance and no reverse which is golden to have.

6. Collapse Details
    I had U-joint axles on my buggy and it was nightmare, I put CV axles on and my problems have gone away. I was having problems with transmission mounts braking from the side load the axles were putting on my buggy. They where bending and cracking my trailing arms 1.25 dia 0.120 thickness 4130 steel. Twisting rod ends (4130 3/4 dia shaft) on the trailing arms. They caused problems with my inboard brakes.

I built new trailing arms 1.25 dia 0.120 thickness 4130 steel with rod ends (4130 3/4 dia shaft) to use with my CVs , the problems have gone away. The twisting rod ends have stopped. My transmission mounts have stopped bending and braking. The problems with my inboard brakes have gone away. The rear suspension feels better on stuff were I am on the power. Motor accelerates better and I am using mid-board hubs which are heavy , so I do not think the weight difference in the axles types is why.

For me U-joint axles are a nightmare

7. Collapse Details
    I appreciate your input guys. Nutz, I noticed that today when Iooked at it real hard. I'm going to have to frog leg the arms. And after reading a couple other threads on those civic trannys, I think I'm going to ditch that idea. I have an idea for the spool to hopefully eliminate the ground clearance issue. I'll post pictures and such as soon as i get a motor and spool and all that good stuff. As far as reverse goes, I'm not too worried about it, it would be handy to have but I'm not sure it's worth spending 2 grand on a transmission. Thanks again for the input guys. Another question, What sprocket size would be ideal if I were to run 1100's sand tires on 15 inch rims? Or can you not answer that question? Haha

8. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member
    1100'S, you should be in 5:1 depending on weight of buggy. U-joint axles are fine with A-arm or 4-5-6 link where you can do away with plunge. They will torque lock under load and bad things will happen.

9. Collapse Details
    4 link with the u-joint axle acting as a 5th link works just fine. This is the way the sandbullet cars were made for quite some time.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dunerocket View Post
    4 link with the u-joint axle acting as a 5th link works just fine. This is the way the sandbullet cars were made for quite some time.
    With low travel like the Sandbullets had the driveshaft kinda works as a link (four link) but its far fom Ideal.

I would not recommend it to much with long travel.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast