Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: FNR gear box issue
    So I have to wait for the random cops to get off my block before i can test but this is what i adjusted and found;
    The brass bolt beside the drain plug seems to adjust the drag on the shift leaver, and i wasn't quite 100% with my shift cable.....thought i had it in the money but i was wrong. so anyways what im thinking is without a proper drag on the leaver it was able to pop out easily under stress and vibration, as it was quite easy to move the leaver by hand. I'm going to test this on little night ride but i was able to get it to now shift properly into reverse and fall back in to drive when released, hopefully the damage hasn't been to great already, but only time will tell. Ill let you guys know what happened, And thanks loco for giving me that shot in the dark.

2. Collapse Details
    I've never had a problem getting parts for a cn250 trans or engine. Might take some looking but it aint impossible as I've blown gears apart in them. Give JD call at 941-286-6703. If he cant find the parts he likely has a cn laying around the shop. Thats not to say you dont have some odd ball tran. But most cn;s are the same and most cf's are the same.

I would deff start with the ball. It's checkable from outside. Some also have a set screw on the shift lever. If it backs out it lets the shaft slip. If the gears are fine and it's popping out, it's likely either cable adjusted to far to the reverse(common problem), set screw, ball not in the indent (common problem) or the shift fork in the trans is bent(not common but common enough). If all else fails, add a heavy spring to the shift lever pulling it to drive. I had gy6 that had to have a spring under load or it popped

3. Collapse Details
    so with adjusting the brass screw beside the drain plug it makes a huge difference, all the way out and i lost 1st completely and reverse becomes the only option no matter what the lever position, but its solidly in reverse, no jumping out of gear. halfway in and its only in neutral no matter what the leaver position, as far in as i can get it and first comes back with the ability to engage reverse and neutral but its still popping in and out like its not fully engaging...
    So ill spend some more time trying to fine tune that and if that comes up crap ill pull it apart a let you guys know what i found, only problem with tightening up the brass screw to much is it puts drag on the shift leaver not allowing to return to neutral or drive when removed from reverse.

4. Collapse Details
    didnt see that post chuck, thanks thats some good info

5. Collapse Details
    Fast way to know if it's a cable is unhook the cable at the trans and throw it in gear. If it locks and holds it is the cable adjustment. Very very common issue

6. Collapse Details
    What a facked design!!! so i finally got time to pull it apart and see whats going on, the gear system is hard for me to explain but all the gears and bearings were fine as i expected, its all the way the shifter leaver on the gear box engages with the middle doublesided 3 tooth doo hicky (for lack of better terms) it seems that its not strong enough to hold the slider (or doo hickey as i prevoiusly stated) in place and the leaver itself slides out of the gearbox, if you know what i mean. so anyway i realigned it, got it back into the case completely, making sure it had good contact into its grove on the slider aka doohickey, then put it all back together and tightened the brass screw in an attempt to keep the leaver from sliding back out of gear box, and voila it worked like a hot dam.... for about 5mns, i started with a light ride, all symptoms were gone, rode it a little harder, all is good, started pounding on it.. still all good so i took her off down the street to wind it out,got up to about 50 and BAM! out of gear and wont reengage....mother&*%##%!!!! so now for the 2 block push home... so i think im going to pull it apart and weld the slider to the forward gear and F reverse, its obviously to poor of a design to withstand any abuse from a 200lb man, or its some sort of alignment issue putting undue stress onto the gearbox leaver causing it to pop out of alignment.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckorlando View Post
    Give JD call at 941-286-6703.

What town/city is area code 941?

If he ships and has good prices im sure I'll be needing other parts soon enough, if your not breaking things your not having enough fun

8. Collapse Details
    He live in Florida. Yes he ships. He's a parts dealer and repair shop for alot of china machines. He is a member here as well. His site is gotbuggy.com

Dude dont weld it. Them trans are pretty damn tough. In fact I'm the only dude I know to explode one. And I know dudes running 600cc bike engine through them. Though I think thats a huge mistake, so far, they have been holding.

Make sure that ball and spring are in there right. That ball is what holds the trans in gear. The thing that slides the gear with the 3 cog's is the shift fork. Those some times tweak a bit and wont engage the trans proper. Your forward gears are behind the clutch. You reverse gears are in the box along with reduction gears for drive. I just sold my last 2 250's to jd or I would tear one open for you.

9. Collapse Details
    hmm ok. guess ill dig deeper into the ball and spring holding it in place because i didnt see anything but the shift fork having a spring on the outside of the case trying keep it in place.

10. Collapse Details
    There will be a nut on the bottom I want to say. Once thats out the ball and spring just fall out

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast