1. Collapse Details
    Inboard cv joint for front axle
    Hi.

Trying to find an inboard cv joint that has 28 gaps so I can match it to a 930 in the diff side with a shaft bar with 28 splines in both ends...

It is for the front axle, so I need non-plunging joints with angles around 45 degrees.

Any ideas?

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Inboard cv joint for front axle
    Yes go with a 99-02 F150. They are 28 spline, give you 45* of angle and they are really strong.

Call Axle-exchange and tell them what your doing. They have individual CVs they will sell you instead of wasting your money buying an entire halfshaft just to get the CV.

I used them on my build and love them https://www.minibuggy.net/forum/minib...ing-build.html

axle-exchange

973-808-2800
    Last edited by nofearmxer; 10-04-2012 at 10:11 AM.

3. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member
    Ford inboard cv wont go maybe 25*. Outter is what has angle but it has stub too. Look at rcv performance non plunging 930 cv.

4. Collapse Details
    Check with jsturbo, he uses the outer F150 CVs for both inners and outers. Not sure how he made them work for his inners but if so that will give you a good non plunging CV with 45* of angle.

There's a picture in the Vendor Row section under the thread Axle Exchange for your CVs of his ford inners and outers

5. Collapse Details
    What are they charging for the outter joints ?

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by LilChubby View Post
    What are they charging for the outter joints ?
    I can't remember off the top of my head but it was cheaper then any other alternative. Call them. Find out for yourself. There good folks.

7. Collapse Details
    Bend-Tech Dragon Master
    Coos Bay, 10 miles from the OREGON DUNES!
    I just stick the joints in my 4x6 bandsaw and saw the stub off and weld on the stubs from my transmission. A decent size lathe helps true both cut sides. Also I'll make a male-female type fit to aline everything. Stick the empty join upside down in a pan of water to avoid losing the hardening on the races. Done on a 3-4" diameter the weld has NO issues holding if its of any quality.
    Pushes my 2400lb / 300ft/lb torque buggy without fail.
    Also check slow build by engineer, he used an F150 unit bearing as the spool bearing.

8. Collapse Details
    Thanks!! It's exactly what I have been looking for months...

I will give axle-exchange.com a call this Monday.

After seeing jgsturbo's shaft with two identical joints I am beginning to think that maybe having the 930 in the diff side and the F150 in the wheel side is a complication I could avoid by using two F150s. The 930 has around 26* and good quality joints can get pretty expensive.
    My only concern with two F150s would be the plunging, but maybe it is not needed if you have a really good tuned a-arm suspension?
    Or do you let the shaft slide inside the stars to certain extent?

Where do you guys get the hub carrier assemblies and the shafts?

Cheers,
    Robert

9. Collapse Details
    I use 930s on my inners, and F150s on my outers. Take a look at my link in my earlier post for some pics if ya want.

Yes if you have the geometry correct you will not have any plunge and do not need to worry much. This just means having all of your suspension pivot points on the same plane as your CVs. Although yes, even if you have an 1/8" or so the axle will slide in the 930 star and a little in the Ford's too. On the f150 ends I just decided and marked how far the axle would be able to plunge in without bottoming out on the inside of the cups and binding, then I cut a groove on a lathe for a circlip where I made my mark and cut off any excess axle with a band saw. So I ran a circlip only on the outside (the side you can get to) of my outer ford CVs, and on both sides of my inner 930s.

I got my F150 wheel hubs off of eBay. And the axles are regular 28 spline VW axles from appletree.com or dansperfromance.com.
    Last edited by nofearmxer; 10-06-2012 at 11:04 PM.