1. Collapse Details
    where to start in designing a mini buggy
    Been wanting to build a buggy for a while and just got my hands on a bussa engine.I want to build a side by side and my question is where is the best place to start your design? Its going to be mainly used to jump the piss out of and play on country roads. I am a fabricator so building it is not a problem. Just never built a buggy before and want some advise from this community. Thanks

2. Collapse Details
    Re: where to start in designing a mini buggy
    Search, search and keep searching. There is so much info on here, most everything has been covered at least twice. If you have skills, buy some plans and start bending. If not have someone make you a chassis and suspension and go from there, thats what I'm doing.

3. Collapse Details
    Your best bet is to figure out the wheels and tires you will use and build INWARDS from there!

This means the spindles will have the correct KPI and you can buuild for the camber and caster you want.

Then the arms. This makes the arms work with the spindles then to the frame design last.
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

4. Collapse Details
    Go to Pegasus Auto Racing Supply web site and look at their technical books. I would suggest Carrol Smith's "Nuts, Bolts, and Fasteners", "Chassis Engineering", "How to make your car handle", and Mitchell suspension design software. The books are cheap and give you a good understanding of suspension design which applies to race cars, street cars, dune buggies, and anything else. The Mitchell software will let you design and model suspension motions and travels, identify roll centers, instant centers, camber, castor, and everything else you would want to know. There are cheaper versions if you go to Mitchell's web site.

scott

5. Collapse Details
    Sometimes pictures work better than words. Not a buggy but it would give you a good idea.

Patrick
    Nothing good ever happened after this statement; Hey Moe watch this.

6. Collapse Details
    220 miles east of Glamis>>>Aka North Phoenix Az
    Quote Originally Posted by Fasterpatrick View Post
    Sometimes pictures work better than words. Not a buggy but it would give you a good idea.

Patrick

Nut is dead on.... I am on my 3rd try at suspension and thats 3 sets of wheels.... Great point Nutz

7. Collapse Details
    Beieve it or not one of the biggest contributors to learning has been building my Pit Cruiser. It has given me a chance to make mistakes and learn from them on a much smaller scale. Another benefit to me has been my experience in R/C off road racing. When I ran into trouble with the suspension I broke out my old R/C SRT and would just cycle the suspension and study it. This forum has good bit of great information but I learn much more by doing and makeing mistakes (I make a bunch of them too). I also race quads so I would study my KFX's suspension as well. I agree with Nuts...just like building a house you need a good foundation to have a good start.
    CRASH!!! GAME OVER!!!!!
    INSERT COIN!!!!!

http://www.jdmpooldesign.com