1. Collapse Details
    chain tensioner build, anyone have specs for this setup
    Muskegon Michigan, Beertent Capital of The World!
    Is this the best way to add a tensioner. Other options? And does anyone know tips or what parts to buy. P.s. a morse cable. These work good to shift with?

2. Collapse Details
    Re: chain tensioner build, anyone have specs for this setup
    I'm definately no expert on the subject but wouldn't it be alot less friction if there was an idler pully there instead of the plastic wear strip. I do beleive that it is in the proper location to take up the slack though. Hope this helps. Give it some time, someone with more knowledge on the subject will chime in.

3. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member
    The best way is to not have one. Make the rear carrier adjust chain. But.....there was one on here before from a raceshop that was posted on here. poly roller w/bearing that was spring loaded, strong spring that kept tension on chain. Talked to a guy at little sahara running one on a busa rail, said it worked good replaced every year.

4. Collapse Details
    I would not add a tensioner that has a solid mount. The roller will wear out too quick to be of any use. I have built a few tensioners for the Ninja powered ATV I have and they are both spring loaded (Torsion spring) and they work fine. The tricky part is the spring tension and the lever arm. They need to be setup to handle the dynamics of the chain when tension is applied and removed.

The other thing to keep in mind is to have the tensioner applied so it doesn't disturb the chain geometry that much, large angle changes, etc.

5. Collapse Details
    Check out some micro sprint parts web sites.We used to run a tensioner(everyone did)and never had a single problem all season.Like Raptor said it has to have enough travel to absorb the fluctuations in the chain.

Here you go,more chain tensioner stuff than you could ever imagine.The one in the upper left is what we used,$44.

http://hyperracing.com/pages/home/pr...category=12300
    Last edited by Bullnerd; 07-14-2011 at 02:18 PM.
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

6. Collapse Details
    Personally, I don't believe in using a spring loaded tensioner. I don't know of a single ATV or motorcycle that uses a spring loaded chain. (Belt is a little different, you need a tensioner, and they don't wad up like a chain) Unless your tensioner spring is stout as hell, when you let off the throttle, your are putting a lot of tension on the underside of the chain, which could cause the topside to become slack.

Maybe everyone doesn't drive like me, but I like to use the engine to decellerate. Helps when shooting out of a corner too. I know that I can skid the tires using the engine to decellerate, which would require a lot of tension on the chain. If the spring is too soft, it will allow the top side of the chain to become slack, allowing the chain to jump off your countershaft sprocket, and wad up in the waterpump and crankcase...

Just my opinion. I will continue to use my eccentric adjuster, and if I couldn't do that, I'd use a solid tensioner sprocket. The chain doesn't need to have as much slack as it does in a motor bike, so it can be close to taunt. I let it have about 1/2-3/4 of play up and down in the center of the topside of the chain, and it works for me.
    Last edited by plkracer; 07-15-2011 at 02:01 AM.
    Proud owner of a two seat pucker-mobile. Funco inspired mini buggy powered by a Busa. Giving out free rides to anyone brave enough.

7. Collapse Details
    It apppears your setup has a tensioner so the chain will clear a crosstube in addition to provding tension.

The best tensioner is being able to slide the center carrier back and/or rotate it back and down down. Rollers and other contraptions are generally unreliable in the long run.

Also to prevent wadding the chain against countershaft or water pump you might consider a billet CS sidecase designed to protect the water pump and engine case. Not sure if they are made for your application like they are for the 'Busa and other engines.

8. Collapse Details
    Muskegon Michigan, Beertent Capital of The World!
    this is a picture of the tensioner i bought. on a different buggy. and i custom made all my own shrouds to protect the waterpump ect.. incase of a malfunction in the driveline. thx the comments have been a huge help.