1. Collapse Details
    How to build a bearing carrier
    I want to build a rear bearing carrier for my son kart and not sure how to go about it. Here is a little info on the car. My son was seven when we started building the car and he is nine now.
    First we wanted to build a little gokart, like a yerfdog, but got a little carried away. It is powered by a Honda 185s motor, as this was the biggest (inexpensive) motor we could find that didn't need a clutch. The rear suspension we ended up making a swing arm. We found a swing arm off a Honda 200x (3 wheeler) with a 10" wider axle. I cut the bearing housing off the stock swing arm and welded it to our swing arm. That way we kept the stock sprocket and disk brake. This worked for the first couple of years but now that he is driving faster and harder the swing arm is taking a beating. Now we want to make the car IRS. There are some very nice units for sale but are way to expensive for this application. My son has agreed to sell his Honda 70 three wheeler to fund this project. So at best we're looking at $400-$500.

Some of my ideas so far are:
    Cut the existing axle and weld VW cv drive flanges to axle. Make trailing arms using VW stub axles. I did some quick measuring and I don't think this will work as the track width would be excessive. The bearing carrier would be around 13-14" cv flange to cv flange (using the 200x bearing carrier we have).

Then I though about using 2 pillow bearings and shaft. But I'm not sure how to attach the sprocket and rotor. I could weld the cv flanges on the shaft.

For the trailing arms, I think the easiest idea is use VW stub axle and VW bearings welded into my arms. A micro stub assembly would be much better as the stub axle is about 7" face of cv flange to face of wheel hub. Does anyone know of an inexpensive "off-the shelf" micro stub/bearing? I think I read somewhere that a Chevy S10 would work? Seeing that I would not be running outboard brakes, I would have to make an adapter plate to bolt on the micro stub to the wheel.

I'm in a creative slump on this. I'm sure I'm not the first person to do this. I've searched around on a few sites but everything I've found is to expensive or just plan overkill for this.

Thanks for your input. Any ideas or info on the best way build a rear hub? Maybe you know of a link to a build almost the same??

NOTE: this rear axle is off a Honda 185s, not the 200x that we are using now (but the same idea).

Last edited by punchdrunk monkey; 01-11-2011 at 09:08 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: How to build a bearing carrier
    Welcome to the site! Nice looking little buggy.

Do you have an idea what you want the track width to be? If you don't increase it quite a bit you will have very short axles and possibly less travel than you have now.

Why would you want outboard brakes if you don't have a diff?

The S-10 componenents would be pretty heavy for that size buggy. In fact I don't think that you will many parts available sized and priced for that horsepower level. I am just saying that most people building are using higher horsepower and thus bigger heavier parts that cost more.

Have you considered looking at an ATV scrap yard for IRS quad parts or parts off an old mule? I have an old mule that is IRS with trailing arms and CV joints. I have never looked to see how the FNR is tied to the motor and wether it would be feasible to drive it from a motorcycle engine. Then again the whole drivetrain with CVT and all could be good.

With the horsepower level you currently have you could probably get away with a keyed shaft for the drive components even though most people have trouble with them in higher hp applications.

If you used U-joints for the axles that are made to go on a keyed shaft you could cut off the current axles just beyond the sprocket/brake mounting and turn the axle to the correct diameter to fit the U-joint and key it. Then you would have the sprocket carrier and brake already taken care of. (Just depends on the axle diameter if it would work.)
    Last edited by Engineer; 01-11-2011 at 09:39 AM.

3. Collapse Details
    You can get your sprockets, bearings and weldable hubs to make a carrier here. Also look at the Cavalier axle.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by nutnbolt2002 View Post
    You can get your sprockets, bearings and weldable hubs to make a carrier here. Also look at the Cavalier axle.
    Where is "here"? On this site?

5. Collapse Details
    Sorry about that.

Surplus Center

6. Collapse Details
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    Based on the size of your buggy, the horsepower and the need to keep it cheap and simple, I would also suggest U-joints and keyed shafts.

You can make a center carrier with two 1" pillow blocks and a 1" keyed shaft. The brake and sprockets can be attached to weldable hubs or just pick up a sprocket made for a 1" keyed shaft. You will also have the added advantage of making the axle shafts any length you want.

The downside is a limit on the amount of travel. U-joints don't have as much travel as CV axles and if the axle shafts are short, then the amount of travel is further limited. All-in-all, I still think it is the best of the "good, fast, cheap" options.

7. Collapse Details
    Isnt that the fram from the guy in Vegas?I forget his name?
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

8. Collapse Details
    Honestly with the narrowness of the design and those HP levels and such I would search out the Shredder builds on here and see how they do a chain driven trailing arms. Simple and cheap and equal travel to what you now have.

Buggy Plans, Go Kart Plans, Two Seater, Suspension Kart, Buggy Kits, Kart Kits, Buggy Parts, Kart Parts.

There is a link to the Shredder build site (other cool stuff there too)

But there are three or four builds on here that show the rear end drivetrain as the site above does not show it very good.

But its pretty easy to do and not a lot of dough. Check out the vids on the site of them driving the Shredder. Heck I think a few od the shredder build guys on here might have a video or two and I know they would be glad to talk about them to you.
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

9. Collapse Details
    Heres a link to a search I did for the Shredder on here.

Look at many of them but the ones in Projects catagories will likely give the best insight to the layout and such.

MiniBuggy.Net: The Ultimate Off-Road Buggy Community - Search Results
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.