Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Reduction Gearbox, With Electric Reverse
    Lightbulb
    Maybe this has been covered, but has anyone worked on a gearbox (4:1?) to reduce chain speed that has an output flange to mount a flex-plate for electric reverse? Then from the box a chain could go to the rear carrier. It's kind of like a jack shaft but tighter, with only one chain. You could just have 3 gears in there that don't have to slide around or anything. It could have an output with a pulley on it to spin a low-turn-on alternator for some extra juice.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Reduction Gearbox, With Electric Reverse
    Several variations have been done like this (I have posted pics of one a few times before)

There are many ways to skin this cat. Just not a perfect way thats super cheap!
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

3. Collapse Details
    My brother and I built a chain reduction case like this.

Check my thread in the signature line for details.

4. Collapse Details
    check out a honda goldwing starter it is used for reverse on the bike maybe it could be incorporated in the gear set

5. Collapse Details
    I'm surprised none of these shops that build cool rear ends that keep blowing up haven't tried making a sturdy sealed case with these features that MC buggies need. Maybe if these boxes didn't have all the fancy moving parts for shifting they'd hold up and cost less. I'm not saying I've got the money to build one right now, but I'm ready to hassle industry for it.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by CBST2 View Post
    I'm surprised none of these shops that build cool rear ends that keep blowing up haven't tried making a sturdy sealed case with these features that MC buggies need. Maybe if these boxes didn't have all the fancy moving parts for shifting they'd hold up and cost less. I'm not saying I've got the money to build one right now, but I'm ready to hassle industry for it.
    I don't know which shops you are talking about but one of the cheapest gearboxes you can get does not "blow up". The FNR's out there are quite simple in design. Nothing that fancy about them. You can only accomplish the reduction with gears, short chains and jackshafts, or a big sprocket hanging down ready to take on whatever you decide to straddle. I guess you can also run that big sprocket up high and kill your droop travel if you want. Only one of those options can deal with the abuse and makes sense from a design standpoint. Incorporating the reverse gear with a crash box design does not add anymore complexity than a electric motor, flex plate or additional gears, switching system, more wiring, and more weight. Lastly, electric reverse is only useful getting off the trailer and on flat hardpack which is helpful but, the times you REALLY want reverse is when you are in a bind out stuck in BFE where you need real power.
    Last edited by standfast; 01-05-2011 at 08:00 PM.

7. Collapse Details
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by standfast View Post
    Lastly, electric reverse is only useful getting off the trailer and on flat hardpack which is helpful but, the times you REALLY want reverse is when you are in a bind out stuck in BFE where you need real power.
    Kinda like reverse in a V-dub tranny........

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bdkw1 View Post
    Kinda like reverse in a V-dub tranny........
    Made me think of RG stuck on that rock yesterday. LOL

9. Collapse Details
    Yeah, I really haven't heard anything bad about RPM boxes, I'll probably end up going that route with my ST2 build. But it blows me away how much trouble some of these expensive FNR diffs have, I read about people having multiple problems with jeffcos and the Transworks mini as well, not to mention team moto stuff.

And I refuse to believe that three fixed gears in an aluminum case wouldn't be stronger than a shiftable gear box. Even if your reverse motor fails your car will still go. I'm thinking mainly it would create a reliable way to reduce chain speed, create a chain adjustment, make a brake mounting point, a reverse option (even if limited), a power take off point and all with minimal part specialization. It makes it a lot cheaper... Shit, ta'hell with reverse, the gear box alone would be awesome, man I need more money.
    Last edited by CBST2; 01-06-2011 at 07:39 PM.

10. Collapse Details
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by standfast View Post
    Made me think of RG stuck on that rock yesterday. LOL
    Hell, that was an Albins, He must have really been abusing it to get that to pop.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast