Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Belt Drive -vs- Chain Drive on a FNR box
    Seems the belt drive bikes such as harley's don't have any issues with belts. I spoke with the local harley shop owner about any problems and the replacement frequency is very low. So, would it work to belt drive to a FNR box? Has this been done yet? ??????

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Belt Drive -vs- Chain Drive on a FNR box
    i built a custom streetbike with 100 hp and a 250mm rear tire back in 2003. tried to do a rolling burnout in 2nd gear and as soon as i dumped the clutch the belt broke, along with a few other parts. I;m not saying it won't work, but I don't think that particular belt liked the shock load.

3. Collapse Details
    HI. The problem is you don't see too many Harley's going over woops, and dips in the mud and sand at 80 mph, loading and unloading the drivetrain. This action will kill even the best chain on the market. Just my $.02

Justin
    Nowhere near the desert.

4. Collapse Details
    Add in that despite the rumors Harlys aint that powerful. Sorry its true. They do not hit hard despite the famous torque they are supposed to make alongisde the noise.

Toss is custom sprockets if you need a special size and a custom length belt for the but end of a buggy. How much is that all gonna cost yah?
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

5. Collapse Details
    All of you are making excellent points. Thats why I posted my thought. Reason for thinking that is I also thought that Harleys made a lot of torque. But now that the points have been made, yeah I can understand there is some serious shock loads when rippin thru the whoops or revving it high and dumping the clutch. I'm really liking the idea of attaching the FNR box to the engine via the case and using a gear set. There is a drawing of one in a thread. Add some seals & gear oil to keep the gears lubed and cool. Does anyone know what the average distance between sprockets(engine to FNR) is using a FNR box?

6. Collapse Details
    I am currently at 19.750" center to center at the farthest point. I tilted my RPM back 45*. The RPM rotates forward to "loosen" the chain, and back to tighten the chain. Go to this page, and see how I did it. I actuall got a little help from Yoshi on the lower RPM mounts..
    https://www.minibuggy.net/forum/proje...hotgun-12.html

Justin
    Nowhere near the desert.

7. Collapse Details
    Pretty hard to estimate a distance. Every buggy is different even when they are all Barracuda builders make changes to suit thier needs. Radical buggies AND even the engine choice make for really different measurements

The other issue you may run into is getting in close to the motor around the sprocket for a gearcase. Some motors are easier than others of course.

I always liked the idea of a dwarf car adaptor as they have already made those for most any engine a buggy might use and worked around the clutch issue if there is one (for the clutch slave cylinder)

Use the dwarf car adaptor to move the power out away from the engine on a short driveshaft.

The driveshaft would allow for some shaking and misalignment. Make your gearcase out there a little bit then at the backside reconnect it to the gearbox with another driveshaft for shaking and misalignment or if you had like an RPM with those REALLY long input shafts that shaft itself could enter the gearbox thru a seal and have a gear right on it.

But you would have to find suitable gears.
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

8. Collapse Details
    Deranged: I checked out those slider mounts. Very nice. I also read that you are running a 18 tooth on the RPM and a 14 tooth on the engine. What gear ratio is the RPM box?

9. Collapse Details
    The dwarf car idea is ideal for getting away from the chain. But to get a cut down rear center section, 3rd member w/ 456 gears & axles cut down is getting pricy and no reverse. So now it puts me leaning back towards a FNR box. Does anyone have anything negative to say about the "superkart" FNR box's..which appears to be a knock off of a "RPM" FNR box..

10. Collapse Details
    First off even if you used a dwarf car adaptor NO reason to get a rear end "cutdown" vs just using a cheap IRS rear diff out of one of several good canidate cars. Thats IF you forgo reverse AND turn the motor sideways. Quaife makes an inline reverser that fits right in a driveshaft but its near $1500 I think. New anyways.

I was talking about leaving the motor facing forward. Using the dwarf car adaptor to get the power away from the confines of the motor via a little shaft. Then making the all gear box going back you were talking about. The a reconnection into the RPM or a Honda car tranny like Arrowhead did etc. But with no chains and instead your gears.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast