1. Collapse Details
    shifter linkage for mid engine VW
    Guys , I'm helping a buddy repower his joyner 250 buggy. He aquired a fuel injected honda civic for an engine donner and I already had a VW IRS w axles. My bud is a machinest so were gonna make the adaptors for the engine to trans and vw flywheel/clutch.
    we wanna run the engine in the middle cuz the honda engine runs reverse of the vw and it's a small buggy so weight distribution would be better.
    anybody have some pictures of the mid engine vw shift linkage ? we need some ideas....

TIA
    Joe

2. Collapse Details
    Re: shifter linkage for mid engine VW
    Check out Rorty's site.
    Bob has done this and will be able to help you see Pic's from his site look up VW mid mount chassis plans.

Or Google Midmount vw.

Nick
    Ride it like you Stole IT!!!

3. Collapse Details
    it is my understanding that you can flip the ring gear/diff assembly over and get essentially the same thing. I have heard of mistakes where there are 4 reverse gears and 1 forward.

4. Collapse Details
    There are only a few trannies that you can swap the diff over on, but you will still need the shift linkage setup.

If you spin the motor and trans around mid mount style without switching the diff you will have 1F and 4R gears. Unless you get the bug to fire in reverse order.

Tuttech has mentioned in some of his posts about this, search for posts by tut, he is one of the resident VW experts.

Nick.

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks Guys ,
    Honda engines rotate in the reverse direction of VW engines. Therefore mounting mid engine works with the ring gear as is however the shift linkage on this type 1 IRS is now on the extreme rear of the buggy and linkage will need to be fabricated. I am looking for ideas hopefully some pictures I know mid engine has been done with the type1 VW trans on quite a few buggys......

6. Collapse Details
    Look at my thread above with thumbnails, then send Rorty an email he has what you need. Or search the web for VW forums they have it all, also with pics.

Nick.

7. Collapse Details
    This might be something you purchase so it works flawlessly.

OregonMotorSports2000, Pacific Customs, Appletree automotive . . .

8. Collapse Details
    I've used various linkages on a couple of mid-engine buggies now. I finally spent the $ on a cable-shift setup and its the bees-knees and easy to set-up compared to the linkages. got it from cableshift.com. As far as the mounting, the trans is mounted with an aluminum plate (only visible in one of the blue pics, and is not installed in the black mockup pics) to provide vertical support and the rear brace provides some front-rear location and side to side. The front mount on the engine (bottom case bolt) makes the whole thing ridgid front to back and provides yaw control. Yes, as it looks, there is not much to it, but it holds up to a 2276 just fine. You don't need much as long as it is rigid.

Not a mini, but here is a photo of the linkage and trans mount from my old mid engine buggy. Used a really cool reverse shift nose cone from jerry's sandrails hooked to a universal joint, then to a vw shift box mounted at an angle. I havn't seen anyone else selling it and I wish i kept it. I should have taken a photo of the inside of the box - its dead simple, but it was a bugger to adjust. The trans is really solidly mounted here using a mid mount AND a rear mount at the stock mount locations.

Last edited by xiondavis; 06-29-2010 at 12:06 AM. Reason: add photo